Knights of the Black Cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL Rotten
    First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
    Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

Opinions on the leadership and character of Axayacatl have been sharply divided, and it is not my intention to attempt a reconciliation between them, or to present my own opinion, declare it authoritative, and declare the debate over. Rather, I hope I can explain how both sides could form a credible position.

One school holds him up as a brilliant leader, an exemplar of our people, and in some sense a tragic hero. On the other hand, there are those who regard his actions as little more than genocide. Hopefully, by the end of this chapter, you can decide for yourself.

Excerpt from The Secret History of the Aztecs , Maxtla Huitzihuitl, Copywrite 1998, Serpent House, Tenochitlan.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While God was justly punishing the Knights for their sin, at the same time he was mindful of the plight of his lost children, many of whom were beginning to emulate the satanic abominations of the outsiders. Therefore, it pleased the Lord of Creation to place His hand on the reprobate Prussians...

Excerpt from Soldiers of God , by Frederick of Magdeburg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following the Aztec victory, the Order had fallen back to their encampment, where walls of freshly cut stone dissuaded attack, and massive towers were poised like rock cobras, ready to rain death on attackers. It wasn't just the walls that were causing the Aztec reluctance, however.

"We're low on powder, General." Tizoc waited for Axayacatl to explode. His thin face merely hardened, resembling an old stone idol back home. "The Cannons used up much of our store, and the next shipment from the Homeland...well, who knows when or if it gets here."

"Using the Engineers saved lives...but we could have afforded to spill some of our blood. Why wasn't I informed of the powder situation before the battle?" Now the rage was coming.

"Bring me the heart of the Quartermaster. Promote someone." Tizoc hurried away, glad it wasn't his heart that was requested.

Axayacatl regarded the walls of the Order encampment. A direct attack, without cannon, would result in a slaughter, and he couldn't afford it, with reinforcements two thousand miles away, assuming they had voted to send any.

They would have to wait. Perhaps Quezatcoatl would see fit to give another blessing...the Feathered Serpent had been well fed, as of late.

Surtur had gathered the converted tribes. He'd been telling the story of the battle until his throat was raw, and then his plans for his people's future. Having survived the bombardment, the wrath of heaven as they called it, he was regarded as the choosen, and his opinion now held weight with the other tribes. Over the past month since the battle, he'd been planning his next move. Now the tribes were behind him.

Surtur arrived at the Aztec base, near the German encampment, accompanied by the leaders from the converted tribes. He'd shaved his head and painted his face blood red in mourning, they'd never recognize him. To the Aztecs all natives were the same anyway.

As he hoped, the Eagle Warrior guards took him and the other leaders to the Aztec General. The thin cruel face of their leader regarded the tribesmen.

"We wish to help you take the fort. My people have suffered greatly, and we wish to gain revenge." The General's cruel face formed a smile. The expendables had arrived.

Through a translater the details were finalized. The combined might of the tribes would assualt the walls, with rifle support. They would than gain the revenge they wanted, they were assured.

Surtur smiled as he led the other tribal leaders back into the forests of North Prussia. Soon he would have his revenge. He glared back at the Aztec camp for a moment. If they only knew...

Siegfried watched from the wall. "Keep your eyes open, men." He was now in command of a dozen Order Archers.

Saving the True Cross was the only moment of honor and courage the great battle had afforded the Knights, and Siegfried had been made a full Knight shortly after. His dream had finally come true, but that dream was tightly wrapped in a nightmare. He wondered if he would live long enough for the promotion to have any real benefit. He looked over the wall at the Aztec base.
      What could they be planning?

Perhaps they weren't as strong as they seemed. Why weren't they attacking? Certainly their black magic could smash through the walls? Siegfried had plenty of time to wonder. Fear was such a constant companion these days...he was starting to take it for granted. "Stay sharp men. They could attack at any time!" A leader of men, he thought, allowing himself a small smile.

Next: The Shocking Conclusion!

Comment

let me guess, Ghandi's posse of p*ssed off indians throws nukes on both sides and wins YAY
        First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
        Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

Maybe not that shocking...what is it with you and ending stories with unexpected nuclear holocaust?

Comment

A Communist Revolution maybe?

Comment

nuclear holocaust rules, espescially when YOU push the button

Comment

Great Rotten stuff!

It's very well researched, imagined and written: a real pleasure to read!
                What?

Comment

What can be said of the end result of the first colonization expedition? Perhaps there are lessons to be learned, although the primary lesson seems to be the cruelty and unpredictablity of fate, to say nothing for the human capacity to visit curelty on each other. Meaningful morals, perhaps. A more base and unfeeling man might question the feasiblity of stone age warriors challenging a unit of riflemen....

-Except from History of the Aztec Republic, Volume Seven , by Huitzihuitl the Elder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While evil may occassionally seem to win victories, even dominance over those who are just and love God, a wise man remains faithful, knowing that the zealous servants of the Lord are ultimately rewarded a hundredfold for their sufferings. So it was that the German Order trusted in Providence, holding the northern strongpoint against the foul spells of the wicked outlanders.

-Excerpt from Soldiers of God , by Frederick of Magdeburg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The attack was set to begin on the order encampment. The weather had cleared, and winter's fingers had lost their grip on the land. The early thaw seemed appropos, as if Quezatcoatl was sending his blessing by bringing the first warm day to the New World, in time for the Aztec's biggest victory.

Tizoc inspected the Jaguar Rifles. Every available man was massed for the assualt. "Remember men, the savages will bleed in our stead, and then we glorify the Feathered Serpent with victory. We assualt together, but pull back to provide fire support. Stay out of range of the archers, no sense in taking any chances." As if on cue, the Prussian warriors joined with the Jaguar Rifles. "Perpare to attack the walls."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surtur was not one to risk everything on a single gamble, but he had nothing left to lose. This was their last chance. His heart hammered as the Prussian warriors and the Aztecs rushed toward the massive stone walls of the Order Fortress, the past and the future fighting the present. The Aztecs separated to form lines for support fire, dropping to their knees. The Prussians rushed to the fore, to charge the walls. The Aztec Riflemen fired a burst at the archers on the walls, claiming victims. "Now! Turn!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tizoc watched in horror as hundreds of berzerk warriors rushed his position, while his men were reloading. Only a few Aztecs got off shots as a human wave, all animal skins and stone weapons, crashed over them. "Fall back!" The rifleman in front of Tizoc fell, a stone axe buried in his face. A rifleshot blew off part of a rifleman's shoulder on Tizoc's left. Friendly fire. The situation was chaos, with the superior numbers of the warriors all throughout the normally orderly Aztec line. "Form lines! Fall back!"

Tizoc turned to see if his orders were being followed, but instead saw a stone spear flying toward his chest. The Aztec general fell, blood filling his mouth. He looked up to see the bright noon sun, a beautifully azure spring sky, and a man in furs raising a stone axe to strike at him. The crude blade came whistling down. "I'm ready to meet you, Feathered Serpent," thought Tizoc. He felt an explosion of pain, and then blackness desended.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Take their weapons!" Surtur's men were grabbing rifles from fallen Aztec warriors, along with their ammunition belts. Some of the smarter Prussians had already figured out the weapons and were firing on the retreating Aztecs. Victory was in hand...and then the gates of the encampment slowly openned, revealing mounted Germans. The Knights bore down on the battlefield, their warcries echoing over the sporatic rifle shots and screams of the wounded: "Gott mit uns!"

"Scatter! Scatter!" Surtur hurrried toward the cover of the trees. His breath came heavy, he feared his heart would burst from effort and fear. The day now belonged to the Knights. The massive warhorses charged towards the panicked Aztecs, leaving carnage in their wake. A few Aztecs even tried to surrender, only to be mercilessly hacked to pieces by the Knights of the Hospital of St. Mary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Axayacatl and six of his personal guard hurried through the forests, heading north from the battle. He'd made the mistake of trusting an enemy...how could he have been so blind? The successes had made him feel infallible. Now his army was ruined, and he was running for his life. Back to the Galleons, out of this accursed land!

Suddenly, twenty Eagle Warrior scouts stood in front of him and his men, seeming to materialize out of the trees. They had drawn their pistols. "Tell Quetzatcoatl what a disgrace we are!"

Gunshots exploded. When the Germans arrived in the peaceful forest clearing, they found seven dead Aztecs, their eyes gouged out. One of the dead, his dress more elaborate, had a horrifing hole carved into the left side of his chest.

Surtur presided over the tribal gathering. Perhaps the unity would hold, perhaps not. They had new weapons, true, but when the bullets ran out...they were still a dying people.

Even so, he felt some pride as the tribes swore allegiance, and discussed ways to prolong their independence. Perhaps the Knights would be reluctant to fight them as long as they had rifles...of course, by now so did the Knights. Soon the technology would be lost, and the old situation would return. Of course, there was always the chance of another outside nation arriving...

In the end it might be for naught, thought Surtur as the wine flowed freely amoungst the newly unified tribes. All he could do was keep fighting, and he was prepared to do that. At least one more generation had a chance to grow up in their tribal traditions, and if that was only a temporary victory, it was still worth the sacrifice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Knights celebrated their victory. A visiting bishop delivered a sermon, honored knights recieving promotions, food and mead covered the tables of the great hall. Siegfried sat at the table of honor at the front of the hall. He now wore the black cross himself, having joined the order. Their was even talk of selecting him as the next Knight Commander...he'd come a long way in a few months.

The smooth ale slid down his throat, leaving a comforting warmth in his stomach. Even as the feast continued, his mind was working. He had an idea about using the new weapons from horseback...he'd have to suggest that, if tomorrow's headache wasn't too bad.

The next morning the Knights were again patroling, waiting to see what the Prussians would do. Perhaps another offensive would be coming soon, when reinforcements replaced the men they had lost. There were souls to be saved, after all.
                  Last edited by Rotten999; May 9, 2002, 23:11.

Comment

great ending! GOod setup for a sequel

Comment

Did you get azure from my story? Metaliturtle goes to work now, bye all

Comment

There's a line about "azure sky" in "A Clockwork Orange." One of my favorite movies.

I don't know if I'll ever write a sequel, but the door is certainly open. More of a "realistic" finish, with plenty of messy loose ends. Perhaps the Aztecs will return in a hundred years with tanks and battleships?

Comment

NUKES NUKES NUKES.... or a lot of pies, BUT I WANT NUKES TO GO BOOM IN THE HEYZAY SHEEEZ

Comment

bump

Comment

This is one of my favorites.
                              Great stuff!
                              What?

Comment

Excellently written, better than many contemporary novels.
                                Est-ce que tu as vu une baleine avec un queue taché?
                                If you don't feel the slightist bit joyful seeing the Iraqis dancing in the street, then you are lost to the radical left. If you don't feel the slightest bit bad that we had to use force to do this, then you are lost to the radical right.

Comment

Working...
                                X