• Richelieu
    replied
    Sympathy bump for Vel...

Get well soon!

Leave a comment:

• star mouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaybe
    Regarding your "Raging Hordes" signature, have you gone into the Editor - Civs tab and changed your combat advantage against the barbs to '0' at the level you are playing yet?
    not yet ... I have a preference for playing standard, unmodified games. But if I want a real Barbarian challenge, I'll do that and play with the Barbs on "Random".

Leave a comment:

• ike0481
    replied
    Congrats...

Congratulations on your winning the story contest this week. I thought your story was the best overall (even though I was rooting for myself ) Good job. Hope to read more stories from you soon.

Leave a comment:

• Jaybe
    replied
    Star Mouse,
    Regarding your "Raging Hordes" signature, have you gone into the Editor - Civs tab and changed your combat advantage against the barbs to '0' at the level you are playing yet?

Leave a comment:

• star mouse
    replied
    Battle Cows!

Your leaders may yet live to see the image of battle cows. All that's needed is to make Cows a strategic resource and Horses the bonus resource, basically swap them over, and we're all set!

Leave a comment:

• ChrisShaffer
    replied
    I'm just stunned at how little terrain modification you've done. By 700+ AD, I'd normally have at least 5 squares around each city maxed on mines/irrigation/roads....you have entire cities in your core empire (Antium for example) with nothing but a few roads. Wow.

Leave a comment:

• Ozymandous
    replied
    Great story Vel.

I have been playing huge maps simply because more Civ's seem to be available to mix it up but the late game time between turns (3-5 minutes with a P3 933 MHZ CPU) is a little dull.

By the way, when you described that tiny spit of land as a chicken neck you were totally correct! I don't think I have ever seen such a defensible spot in many years of playing.

Congrats on the story and the game. I have yet to play Rome but since I seem to gravitate to the Civ's with the early UU's I know I will get to them eventually. Of course I like tanks as well so will have to try the Germans for their panzer as well eventually.

Keep up the stories.

Leave a comment:

• Velociryx
    replied
    Glad you're enjoying it man!

As to the spacing....yes and no. I tend to like an orderly, grid-like placement as it facilitates defense and road/making, though I am quick to veer from that to make use of juicy bonus tiles! The overlap part of the equation has never bothered me. With bases four apart, the overlap is minimal, and essentially it means that my cities will top out at around 22 or so in population.....I'd not want them any bigger than that anyway (as I understand it, most folks tend to regard the "optimal size" for civ3 cities at 20, which BEGS for placement of cities closer than 5-tiles apart).

Specifically in this game though, it was done entirely on purpose....there's just something that strikes me as so classicly Romanesque in it's nature....a nice orderly, planned grid-like city structure....just sorta "seemed" like Rome....

-=Vel=-
    (who, like a total dumba$$, forgot to bring his game notes to work, and so, cannot update the story....)

Leave a comment:

• Gamer at heart
    replied
    Very Nice!

Good reading again from you as expected, Vel! I especially liked the little humorous chats between the emperor and Nigel. I think my co-workers are starting to suspect I have some mental condition that forces me to laugh every now and then for no apparent reason....

By the way, do you always place your cities that close together (4 tiles appart by your standards) ? I do not avoid overlapping at any cost, generally going for good spots instead of "standard grid" placement, but you seem to be systematic on that 4 tiles. It sure looks like it worked well for you this time!

keep the good stuff coming!

GaH
    Last edited by Gamer at heart; December 10, 2001, 11:17.

Leave a comment:

• Spearthrower
    replied
    "A smallish, but strategically important suburb of London, Liverpool is the Iron Community of the English."

Now that REALLY makes me laugh... only because of the rage it would cause a Liverpudlian

Keep up the good work!

Leave a comment:

• Dravin
    replied
    I must say that I've enjoyed reading your story, nicely done!

Leave a comment:

• Velociryx
    replied
    Isn't it great!? I about fell outta my chair when I realized how perfect the setup was gonna be! The real question is just how far can I expand with a commercial civ and maintain profitability? Not sure I have the answer to that, but I played out some more of the game and it sure got interesting! Will be posting some more of the story prolly on Monday (depending on work).

As to the worker question: Generally I average 1 worker per city, and I find that they can keep up with the work that needs to be done, but in this case, once I saw how easy it would be (fortify one tile and staff it) to prevent an AI land invasion, I couldn't resist playing Rome in classic Roman-Conquest fashion! So...I skimped on the workers, building just enough to get by and the plan was to (hopefully) augment their number with slaves as I expanded.

I think though, that as I begin to get closer to being able to build rails, I will prolly double the number of "paid" workers so I can speed build a rail line from my core troop producing cities (essentially, all the cities on the roman sub-continent that lie west of Rome, and most of the cities in the northern (tundra) area of the sub-continent.

Once I do that, warfare will be lots easier....as it stands now, in the absence of boats that can brave the high seas, it takes mounted troops about ten turns to get from the roman sub-continent to the front, so I've gotta plan well ahead of my current needs. Rails though, will fix that right up!

-=Vel=-

Leave a comment:

• SerapisIV
    replied
    Thanks for the screens. Damn, you have a perfect map for a palace and FP setup. One in Rome proper and one in the former England. Do you usually have that large an army with so few workers in 790 AD or did the English conquest change the build emphasis?

Leave a comment:

• adaMada
    replied
    Oops -- just realized I posted my praise in the wrong place. Well, all I basically said, was Great Job ! Keep up the awsome work!

-- adaMada

Leave a comment:

Working...
X