Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Succession Game starting on 11/29/2001, Join the game/follow the saga in this thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I just finished my turn! I'll post the summary in a little while. It just ocurred to me that I don't know how long a turn you wanted. Is 20 turns the standard for succession games? Anyway, that's how many I played.

fsck: I've got 7 screenshots from my game. How can I upload them to your site? Should I e-mail them to you? They are all .jpg's and they come to about 250k total.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurking
      I think the cost of fighters should be 5 for a regular fighter and 7 for a jet fighter. This would discourage the need for airpower at all, but still leave it open if we/AI need it for some reason. I guess that's it. Looking forward to my turn! Can't wait to discover what the world will look like and, most importantly, what our civ will be!
      Oops, sorry. I couldn't wait to get started.

Comment

I just finished the summary, should I wait until I we have the pictures ready to go, or just post it now and add the pictures later?

Comment

zip them up and mail them!

Zip the pics up and mail them to me in one attachment. I will FTP them to the site as soon as I can. In the meantime, go ahead and post your summary, linking to where the screenshots will *eventually* be... the URLs will look like this:

I may not be able to play and post again until tomorrow.
          In the time it took you to read this signature, the Voyager I space probe has travelled approximately 130 km.

Comment

I will join.

I would gladly join your succession game. I already participate in a succession game, but it is moving rather slowly, so I am sure I will have plenty of time to play in this game, too. So, if you still need someone, count me in.
            XBox Live: VovanSim
            xbox.com (login required)
            Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
            Spore page

Comment

Turn #1>4000BC
              We are Russian! The mighty despot Excelsior leads his people to found the Russian capital of Excelsior in a fertile spot globe near a bountiful supply of wine. He dispatches the Royal Scouts to chart the terrain and the Royal Ditchdiggers to build a road to the wine fields.

Turn #2>3950BC
              Requiring direction, the Russian Prophets come to Excelsior for guidance. After careful consideration, and much wine, the great leader informs them that they should pursue Iron Working so that his successors might wield mighty weapons in his name. To the north, the Royal Scouts discover a source of fresh water suitable for large scale irrigation projects. Living on the banks of the lake are the friendly Magyar people. Though equipped only with the most primitive of weapons, the young Magyars eagerly join the army of the Russian people and pledge loyalty to Excelsior.

Turn #3>3900BC
              The Royal Scouts report that Excelsior’s fear was ungrounded. The Russians are not on an island after all; a land bridge leading to the north has been discovered.
              Turn #4>3850BC
              The Royal Scouts continue to press north and the empire continues to run smoothly.

Turn #5>3800BC
              The Royal Ditchdiggers have completed the road into wine country! Supreme Lord Excelsior celebrates this momentous occasion by becoming staggeringly drunk.
              Turn #6>3750BC
              The city of Excelsior completes the training of a new Royal Scouting Corps. The Supreme Lord sends it north to continue the exploration of this uncharted expanse. Intrigued by the tales of these lands, the Lord directs his subordinates to organize a party of citizens to settle these northern lands.

Turn #7&8>3700-3650BC
              Very little happens during these years.
              Turn #9>3600BC
              The Royal Ditchdiggers complete a new road. The Supreme Lord issues a new tax on all commerce along the new road. The Royal Treasury is now growing at a rate of 1 gold per turn. The Royal Scouts report that a large mountain range has been discovered to be hiding a vast tract of arable land to the northwest.
              Turn #10,11,&12>3550-3450BC
              Another boring period in the history of the Russian people.

Turn #13>3400BC
              Excelsior’s advisors come to him with alarming news! The settling party is due to be completed 3 turns before the city is large enough to sustain the population decrease! His advisors explain that such a mistake could’ve been avoided, if they only knew the concept of mathematics. Enraged, Excelsior feeds the advisors to his pet wild boar. He then directs the city to move towards building a granary, that the city might grow more rapidly. In other parts of the Russian Empire, the Royal Scouts meet the friendly Vandal tribe. The Vandals kindly give them accurate maps of the region.

Turn #14,15,&16>3350-3250BC
              Very little happens during these years. The Supreme Lord Excelsior is in declining health and he has no heirs. It is rumored that he has an illegitimate child that might someday attempt to claim the throne, however.
              Turn #17>3200BC
              Excelsior directs the Royal Ditchdiggers to build a road north toward the fresh water lake.
              Turn #18>3150BC
              Royal Scouts discover wine in the northwest expanse.
              Turn #19>3100BC
              Royal Scouts report that an island of vast riches has been spotted off the mainland.
              Turn #20>3050BC
              In the final year of The Supreme Lord Excelsior’s reign, absolutely nothing happened. The Lord succumbed to an overabundance of wine and died in his sleep. His carcass was then torn apart and eaten by his pet boar. As the primitive Russian people had not yet discovered the secrets of Ceremonial Burial, they just chucked his body in a ditch and forgot about him.

The state of the world in 3000BC

The saved game:
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Excelsior; November 29, 2001, 00:02.

Comment

Re: I will join.

Originally posted by vovansim
                I would gladly join your succession game. I already participate in a succession game, but it is moving rather slowly, so I am sure I will have plenty of time to play in this game, too. So, if you still need someone, count me in.
                Great! You can be #4 in the line of succession.

Comment

Vovanism, you have been added to the play order. See the first post in this thread for current play order, and current player. My turn will be complete in less than 18 hours. I will post as soon as my turn is complete.

Onward my Russian people!
                  "Dog of a Saxon! Take thy lance, and prepare for the death thou hast drawn upon thee!" -Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert in novel 'Ivanhoe'

Comment

pics uploaded!

Pics are uploaded and working OK in my browser. I can play a turn anytime today...

Question: Why build a granary instead of another settler/worker?
                    In the time it took you to read this signature, the Voyager I space probe has travelled approximately 130 km.

Comment

Strategy!

Well, it looks like we have a good hunk of land here to work with. Having the capital at the bottom is going to hurt, and I don't see any other luxuries except for wine... that hurts too. Hopefully we will have a good amount of strategic resources, and there will be more luxuries in nearby islands or something.

Comment

Re: pics uploaded!

Originally posted by fsck
                        Pics are uploaded and working OK in my browser. I can play a turn anytime today...
                        The pics are working fine in my browser too. Thanks for the hosting fsck! I'm at work now, but I'll be home around 6pm my time and play as quickly as possible, I'll then post the game file. Then I'll go back and edit my post with a discription of my reign and pictures.

I think it's a decent strategy. Since we're on an island (probably) we don't have to worry about other civs grabbing the land right next to our capital, so we build a granary or two to help our cities grow fast enough to produce lots of settelers, back to back, to settle our cold island (lots of tundra!). We'll see how my turn goes. I'm going to shoot for map making to sail across those two shallow sea squares and settle the isle of riches!
                        "Dog of a Saxon! Take thy lance, and prepare for the death thou hast drawn upon thee!" -Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert in novel 'Ivanhoe'

Comment

Lurker: Since you won't be able to play/post until tonight, would you mind if I went ahead of you? I can play almost anytime today and tomorrow, but I won't be able to do anything over the weekend (have to help a relative move).

Comment

Re: pics uploaded!

I started to build a settler, but I didn't notice until it was almost too late that it would be completed 3 turns before the city would reach 3 population. So I decided to switch to a granary rather than waste 3 turns of productivity. We're going to need a granary there anyway, and there isn't any risk of the AI gobbling up our land until the age of map making.

Oh, and thanks for hosting the pictures. It really does improve it.
                            Last edited by Excelsior; November 29, 2001, 10:39.

Comment

Re: Strategy!

Well, it looks like we have a good hunk of land here to work with. Having the capital at the bottom is going to hurt, and I don't see any other luxuries except for wine... that hurts too. Hopefully we will have a good amount of strategic resources, and there will be more luxuries in nearby islands or something.
                              I'm betting that we will have lots of strategic resources. All those hills, mountains, and tundra should be great. However, we probably aren't going to have much, or any, rubber. We need to hunt down a likely location of it ASAP or we'll be crippled in the late game.

Once we've settled this continent, I recommend that we put the forbidden palace in a city near that forest. Then we can move the capital elsewhere if we expand to another large area.

Comment

Lurker: Since you won't be able to play/post until tonight, would you mind if I went ahead of you? I can play almost anytime today and tomorrow, but I won't be able to do anything over the weekend (have to help a relative move).
                                Sure fsck, you can go now if you want. You'll be able to finish by 5pm mountain time? If so, I can still go tonight and we'll have finished three reigns before tomorrow!

BTW, it's Lurking, not lurker I'll see if you go before I get home. If you do go, just post a short message saying you are playing now, and I'll wait for your post with the saved game after your turns. Thanks for playing everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                X