"Go back to chieftan" -- Catherine the Great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Go back to chieftan" -- Catherine the Great

Hiawatha the Worthless. Salamanca captured in 530 BC.

Played the Iroquois on Regent level with default world settings.

Well, my free scout and bonuses for villages were next to worthless. I explored two villages for a total of 25 gold and Masonry. I also met the Germans and the Aztecs, both on my doorstep, neither friendly. Then, the Illinois (a barbarian) killed my scout. On the other hand, the Religious benefits were nice enough. I led in culture, and even had a city captured by the Germans convert back. Built five cities, the Germans took four and the Russians swooped in to take my capital and end the game.

She could be right......
    A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Game two, same settings, it's 1600 BC and I'm on a dry plains, two cities (size 3 and 1), two workers, just built a settler. About to build another settler in the size 3 city. Got 25 gold from one, single, solitary village. Lost my scout to a barbarian. Built another scout, found the Americans, French, and Aztecs.

I am completely surrounded and hemmed in by Aztec cities. They have 5 cities, total 9 population. There are Jaguar Warriors everywhere. The French and Americans are farther away, but seem to be similar size empires. I've traded for two technologies - both cost me a tech + gold. I'm way behind in the technology race.

The standard map seems very small.

Off to bed I go.

Comment

Are you getting trouble in finding resources?
        "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
        Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
        Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
        Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Originally posted by Zealot
          Are you getting trouble in finding resources?
          No troubles finding resources, they're scattered all over. They cluster, so for example, there were 5 ivory near my capital and three wine near my second city.

The Jaguar Warriors proved to be a more difficult problem, what with them attacking by the dozens.

I think I'll take Catherine's advice for my next game, and play the Greeks (that Hoplite defender sounds like a good idea) at Chieftan level.

This is much more difficult than I expected. The book said to play at two difficulty levels lower than Civ2. I can beat Civ2 on Deity about 80% of the time...Civ3 Regent is killing me. I need to learn some new strategies.

Comment

Working...
          X