The Alliance War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Alliance War

*Note- although not based on a real game, I have included elements of some of my games in this story. Thank you.
    THE ALLIANCE WAR
    CH.1- New Allies, New Enemies
    Prime Minister Xerxes sat, furious, with a man who seemed very uninterested in diplomacy considering his position as the ruler of a world power. He was, in fact, meeting the cold, hard gaze of the malicious, cold hearted dictator of the Arabian Empire. Xerxes shuddered just thinking about how times had changed for this part of the world. He sincerely hoped today’s meeting would help to ease the mounting diplomatic tensions.
    Up until a few years ago the men who represented Arabia were the Caliphs, a deeply religious, generally placid benevolent line of rulers. Like any dynasty, they did have a few upstart brigands who engaged the country in minor wars, but they were quickly deposed, and Arabia never really had a sizable army anyway. All of that changed rapidly, however, about fifteen years ago. It was then that, in a vicious coup, the ruling line was killed by a young general named Ali Bakara, assisted by rouge elements of the military. Every single religious person was killed on the basis that citizens must only owe allegiance to their government, and having a strong belief in any religion could conflict with that. And so, within a year of taking power, the new authoritarian government had the blood of thousands on their hands.
    Those who escaped the killings fled to the more liberal republics of Greece, Persia, Korea and Iroquois in the west, while the equally brutal regime to the north of Arabia, Sumeria, not only closed their border but possibly assisted in the killings. This was the first indication of a widening rift between the richer, more advanced nations of the western lands with the more productive, highly militarized nations of the east.
    The sole exception to this, however, was the United Islands of the Byzantine Archipelago. Although originally a peaceful nation, the Byzantines had become aggressive when they ran out of islands to colonize. They then led several failed attempts to invade Korea, Iroquois and the Persian coast, but were beat back due to the lack of scientific knowledge that comes with being an isolationist country. These decisive military defeats left them a bitter state without nearby friends.
    The world situation, however, really approached crisis mode about two months ago when Arabia, Sumeria and the Byzantine Archipelago signed the Fascist alliance treaty. The treaty not only acted as a mutual protection pact, but included trade agreements that effectively cut off all trade between this new alliance and the rest of the world. The effects were felt from the Persian capital of Susa’s famous stock exchange all the way down to the agoras in rural Greece. Cut off from the resources that they had depended on, Russia and Greece had to drastically raise their budgets to buy Persian aluminum, Korean rubber and Iroquois oil, while in those countries the economy slumped without the profitable trade they had in delivering continental products to the Byzantines in return for exotic gems and silks.
    Xerxes brushed the mental recap out of his head and tried to concentrate on the task at had. Choosing his words carefully, he cleared his throat and began to speak.
    “Well, Mr. Bakara, as you must know, I asked to speak with you in regards to the “Fascist Alliance” you have recently formed. Although you know my county’s stand on such modes of government, I doubt you care. However, we do wish to negotiate the trade sanctions you are enforcing. They alone are almost considered an act of war. Therefore, we are willing to make certain concessions if you lift them. Most notably, Persia will grant semi-autonomy to some of the Sumerian dominated provinces in the north. Also, Greece will help crackdown on the Lake Corinth smuggling rings, Russia is willing to grant mining rights for parts of the Trans-Russian mountains and,” (here Xerxes sighed heavily, because it took two weeks of meetings in Salamanca to arrange this last item, but it was the thing the Byzantines wanted the most), “The Iroquois are willing to relinquish their holdings on the isle of Sardica to Byzantium.”
    Ali Bakara spoke in the thick, harsh brogue that indicated that he grew up in one the infamously wretched slums of Damascus, the largest city in northern Arabia and one of the poorest areas of the East. He kept his eyes locked on Xerxes, as if he was looking straight into the man’s soul.
    “That sounds not even mildly intriguing, Xerxes. I have to wonder how nations as weak as the ones you are representing can be so cheap. We will stop only if you give us everything listed on this paper” Xerxes was handed the document by one of the Arabian aids.
    “Let’s see. We the undersigned, mmm, yes, um...,” As he read on, Xerxes eventually became quiet, then opened his mouth in shock, and when he finally started to speak he found himself struggling to contain his voice “WHAT SORT OF FOOL DO YOU TAKE ME FOR, BAKARA? DO YOU REALLY THINK ANY SANE NATION WOULD RELINQUISH ALL RESOURCES, ONE THIRD OF THEIR TERRITORY AND AGREE TO CUT THEIR MILITARY STRENGHTH BY 25%? I REFUSE ALL POINTS OF THIS TREATY!!!”
    “Really? Well then, there is nothing left to discuss. I’m afraid will just settle this conflict militarily. Consider yourself, and every other non-allied country, at war with the Facist alliance. I would kill you, but I also will find it infinitely more pleasurable to know that you will witness your country fall to ruin. Don’t worry, you won’t have long to wait. Good day."
    And so within the space of ten minutes, the one continent left in the world that had remained relatively stable descended into what would surely be a conflict for the history books.

The next few days were a flurry of meetings as Persia was put into the position of breaking the bad news to all the other nations. None of them were taken aback, and didn’t hesitate to agree to an alliance. The only leader left to deal with was Prime Minister Wang Kon of Korea. With the memory of his fateful meeting with the Arabians still fresh in his mind, Xerxes sat down to speak with the eloquent but slightly timid leader. Truthfully, he knew that Korea was the weakest of all the nations in the League of Republics, but if the Sumerian armies reached the farms of eastern Korea their supply problems, caused by some harsh blizzards, would be mitigated. The League realized that this would destroy their already small chance of winning the war. He just hoped that the Koreans realized that as well.
    "So Wang Kon, as I was saying, you need to join our league if you want to continue to be a free state. We know Korea is not a military power, but together we have some hope of survival. And, to be blunt, if you joined the Fascists they'd take your food and then overrun you in two weeks once your allies were in ruins. We'll provide you with technology and resources, and we can also back up your assaults with air cover."
    "You must understand, Xerxes... Our people have not known war for over 450 years. We simply aren't capable of going to war without prior warning. We would need at least another year before we were capable of staging any meaningful assault. We simply aren't warriors."
    "With all due respect, you are. Might I remind you that there are almost as many blue clad men of Korea buried in the battlefields of Persia's coast as there are Persians. You have fought before. You can fight again. This war,” Xerxes faltered slightly, trying to describe the scope of the situation, “This war is not about resources, or land, or power. Not for our side anyway. This war is about the freedom to exist peacefully. If the fascists win, even if they only take down one of the republics, would be enough to tip the balance of power in the world. Eventually, unless it is stopped, the ideals of these men will spread, empowering all the other rouge states. The entire world will be a dictatorship. This is possibly the only shot we will have. Not in the southern seas. Not in the Germanic highlands. Not in Roman jungles. Here. Now. I’m asking you to do this not as simply an ally, but a friend"
    "Well....despite my reservations, I suppose you are right. I can garrison the border with Sumeria with a third of my infantry, given a week, but we need that air support now to evacuate the villages"
    "The fourth corps out of Sidon is on the way. I need to leave now; I must get back to Susa. But Kon, just in case the worst happens, I’m going to direct a transport company of the air force to be stationed in Seoul. If the Sumerians come within striking range of your capital, they will evacuate select members of the Korean government and academia, totaling 655 people. I suggest you draw up a list. Good bye, my friend.”
    Xerxes smiled sadly as he walked into the bright Korean sunshine. He wondered how long it would take Wang Kon to realize that request for aid outside of the continent had all been denied, either because other nations were either dirt poor, engaged in other wars, or simply willing to allow nations they didn't particularly need for trade. No more help would arrive. The league would be on their own. He hoped eventually they would have even small reinforcements. Hoped, but doubted.

Please review if you want me to continue!

Comment

very good... i like... sounds like you had a bit of World War II.. 3 fascist nations against the free people of the world.. got to love it. keep it up. i wanna see how this one goes.
      I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Visit the stories forum My stories.... The Rise of Germany and Fall of the Dutch and Germany Falling

Comment

Working...
      X