Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storyteller Interviews 2: Grandpa Troll

Introduction

Welcome to the Storyteller Interviews, I'm your host DarkCloud, Civ III Stories Editor and humble moderator at Apolyton.

Today we have a real treat for you, the notable Grandpa Troll, a poster in the Civ III-Stories section and Multiplaying sections, has been interviewed by the notable Metaliturtle- a long-term veteran of the Civ III-Stories section and an intriguing character who was interviewed in the last interview session, supplied with YOUR questions. Now you can find out everything you ever wanted to know about this "old" but new author, including, but not limited to his favorite stories that he has written and his own personal favorites from the forum.

So, check out this interview, you're bound to find something interesting to read!

The Interview

1. Grandpa Troll, word on the street is that Grandpa Troll isn't your original forum handle, would you care to explain the evolution of your many Apolyton names?

I started out as DrDanger A nickname from my days of playing basketball back at Calais Memorial High School and on the playgrounds, you see we all adopted Basketball nicknames. For example, there was Dr.Julius Erving (ed: An American basketball player) and there was me DrDanger because anyone whom came in the lane (ed: according to Grandpa Troll, this refers to where people play under the hoop in Basketball) had to pay the price! a sort of play on words..I chose it in case maybe someone from my days back home would recognize and post here..

Since I was young, I had this urge or maybe calling to pull chains (ed: get on people's nerves). So, when I started posting here, I found far too many easy prey! Anyway Apolyton's Horse (from Australia) called me a Troll and I had never heard that term before so I liked the sound and switched to it... then I had a Grandson come along and asked Ming to change my handle for a Christmas present. Well, he did it and here I am!!

2. I saw a bumper sticker once that said 'If you remember the 60's, you probably weren't there," so, just wondering, why would anyone say that about the 60's? What happened to you back in the 1960's and why are you hesitant to talk about it?

Actually the late 60's I grew up fast as my older brother and sisters got into some stuff and well, I was abused terribly and took after a life of drugs and alcohol and self-abuse after having had my teeth kicked out of my head while being held down and had ribs broken and been abused almost everyday from age 8-15..tough times, like "The Man" said once years ago "What dont kill ya will likely kill ya!" well it didnt but at times I wished it had! Back then at least. I was taken in by a Motorcycle gang and lived with them and Mary Jane for several years until I went to live with my Uncle Samuel Armenius (U S ARMY) at age 17. Not so bad afterall, and I'm always thankful that God has allowed me to Glorify HIM through this all, Amen!

3. Which of your Grandpalicious (can I call you Grandpalicious?) stories is your favorite? Your least favorite?

I actually most enjoy the current one, Roman History Retold. Least Favorite, well that question is kinda like asking a parent which is your least favorite child, no such an animule! I would say that I grew here as a writer from my first to my current composition so perhaps I would rate my first one as the my first tale, Grand Overlord of Trolldom since it was a "learning curve"

4. What are your 3- 5 Favorite Civ III-Story Tales OTHERS have written and why did you enjoy them?

I like Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling by SKILORD (ed: Which happens to be already nominated for the 21st Story Contest Round.)- It inspired the concept behind my next escapade, "Highlander"

Yupo Frag and The Barn Burner versus Farmer John by unscratchedfoot is decent enough! I enjoyed how screenshots were incorporated into a storyline. BUT BOY DID I GET SHOT up over my adaptation of this idea! LOL..When I tried this, people told me that "screenies" are nice but NO, more story was requested so i obeyed! I do however still like the idea!

Victorious Return by Metaliturtle. I like humor and think that this was done wonderfully!

5. What got you interested in writing?

I grew up abused and was an intovert. For real. I lived deep within my mind,heart and soul. People can be cruel. People can suck. But, be strong and true to yourself and no one can take the "Inner sanctum" the place most fortified, your soul. Physical and emotional pain can and will crush your spirit, but you can fall back and defend your soul. Time will cover the wounds from without and memories will keep them fresh so you won't forget where you came from.

I have been through a lot and enjoy writing as an escape.

Hey, its my way of living large and in charge of this old boys life!

6. How old were you when you first started writing?

I was about 12 when a teacher showed me the neatest way, take a dictionary close your eyes, pick ten words by opening the dictionary and pointing to any word and make a story based on those ten words. It sounds corny, I reckon, but it worked for me!

7. What motivates your writings?

Passion and imagination. I love History and like adapting and writing about whatever I've picked up.

8. Does forum feedback dictate storyline in a current writing? Future writing?

Actually, some folks "encourage" but there is a limited feedback going on and what does is greatly appreciated. I take it that the feedback being limited is because people enjoy what they are reading. This makes me feel as though I should move forward.

9. Why write for Apolyton?

I love Civilization-based games and the forums at Apolyton! And it just seems natural that I should write since I spend so much time here!

10. Your avatar has a picture of you and your grandson, tell us a little about him.

He is my little buddy. His dad is my favorite man in my life (next to my Dad!) and Cameron is so darned sweet. I can have the hardest day at work and he lights up my life. My sweetie (MY loving Mrs. Grandma Troll) babysits him during the day. I got to hold him when he was 20 minutes old or so..I was like WOW!

11. Do you think he will become a lil' Troll and rock some spiffy stories out on here anytime soon?

He is a living Epistle!

12. I noticed that you are a member of Apolyton Plus. Since some people may not be sure about the benefits (besides the really cool 'inmate' badge) could you tell us why you think Apolyton Plus was worth the investment?

I come here and get a lot of enjoyment out of Apolyton and feel it is well worth helping out by doing some financial contribution to this excellent site! Think about it, Mark and Dan don't have to have this here but they do! I like having a bigger Avatar and also being shown as a supporter. Maybe a person instead of asking "Why" be a PLUS member should ask themselves "WHY NOT?"

13. I believe 13 questions is bad luck, are you superstitious at all

Absolutely not. I am a Christian and if something is gonna happen it will.

14. Grandpa Troll, who would you like to go to lunch with and why?

Who would I want to go to lunch with?

My answer from what I have read and I surely dont know anyone here personally nor do they know me outside of my "embellishments"..

I would say old Nuke Master.

WHY? Politics, History and Current affairs are listed as hobbies and I have to tell ya, that those are three of my particular subjects which i enjoy talking about. I have a lot..LOT of opinions of how the political farce er um system is like that of a "good old boyz" club and has been and will be for a long time to come, for real why would they want to tip over the pork barrel that they all dip from to feast upon? History amazes me and also intrigues me and Current Affairs I love keeping up on current events because like Carly Simon sang in ANTICIPATION "These are the good old days" meaning we are living they good old days now MAKE HISTORY!!

Oh yes, and before I end... I'd like to say this-

I really enjoy Apolyton as a civilization site and would like to add another question and answer it myself... ...

15. Who would be your favorite Mod to have lunch with and why?

Ming and Solver

I think they would be extremely engaging and very entertaining. I think they have a tough job and for what..they pull down what -$0.00- bucks for the job?

For real I would just enjoy setting down and chatting to see what makes 'em click. I know you may have to edit this but if you dont have to, then dont. I wonder if they are anal-retentive or dweebs versus decent people. I mean I am an Area Manager with a lot of responsibility and sometime I get up on my High Horsie and wear my butt on my shoulders, but for the most pasrt try to be fair. I would suspect they are both extremely intelligent and from PM ing them both (Been vactationed by both..lol) I would like to meet them sometime, maybe in real life I can one day.

Interviewer's Comments:

Thanks a lot Grandpa Troll! We will continue to keep our eyes on your continuing writing career here on Apolyton.

-Metaliturtle

Head Interviewer's Comments:

Well, there it is, the second insight into an author's mind in the Apolyton Storyteller Interview's series. And don't be worried, we have lots more from where this one came from.

In the upcoming months we can all look forward to an interview with SKILORD as well as another round of the Stories Contest. (Whose prize is a DISCOUNT at the Apolyton Store.)

So please, stick around. We've got a lot going on in the Civ III-Stories Section

-DarkCloud
    Last edited by DarkCloud; November 6, 2004, 12:14.
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

I'm pretty sure that the turtle interviewed the trollmeister, and not I.
    Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

Yeah, I was suspecting that too... for some reason I had your name at the bottom- give me a second to fix this.
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Thanks for the posting of the interview

Gramps
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

bumping this.
          -->Visit CGN!

Comment

It is a shame that this never got going

I feel it was because of the initial bar was set so high by Metaturtle then I came along and well...

kinda like what happened back in '29
            Attached Files

Comment

Actually a great interview! Thanks for the insight Grandpa!

BTW, Cameron is a cute kid!
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
                Actually a great interview! Thanks for the insight Grandpa!

BTW, Cameron is a cute kid!
                I started a thread..me and da missus Grandma Troll having a seond go at grandparenting

grandchild number two due in September

I gotta tell ya..blessings abound

Thanks for the kind words

Gramps

Comment

play hard mate

and it is a great interview, and hope to see heaps more of these soon

Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                  I am of the Horde.

Comment

Working...
                  X