Your thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your thoughts

I don't know if this is the right place to put this thread in but since it's about writing stories...

I'm sure it's up to each of us but I'm wondering what certain features in the game means to you.

Such as a tile - what's its measurement in real life? 10 km by 10 km or ?

And how large is a military unit to you? A division? Company? Regiment?

I hope to try my hand at a story sometimes soon and am thinking over some detials like those I just mentioned.
    Who is Barinthus?

All of those things are so open to interpretation that you can really just do whatever you want with them.

I don't really think that I've ever really looked into the issue in any depth, as has been said at CFC I'm rather opposed to the entire idea and to the exactness of numbers in my storywriting, but that's a personal opinion and one that is, to be kind, odd.

So I don't really have any advice for you... sorry.... but good luck.
    Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

I think that some of the lads in the demo games and strategy forums would have these details sorted to the last micron

as to in the stories... I know myself I have twisted them to be great distances across to just a few miles across

the glory of writers privilige
      Gurka 17, People of the Valley
      I am of the Horde.

Comment

Re: Your thoughts

Originally posted by Barinthus
        I don't know if this is the right place to put this thread in but since it's about writing stories...

I'm sure it's up to each of us but I'm wondering what certain features in the game means to you.

Such as a tile - what's its measurement in real life? 10 km by 10 km or ?
        If you are talking RL then you just divide the circumfrence of the earth (33,000 nm) by your world size. If you are playing a 330 X 330 map then the tile size would be around 100 square nautical miles.

Of course, if it is a random map or based on fiction then the tiles can be any size you choose.

And how large is a military unit to you? A division? Company? Regiment?
        This is largely map dependent. If its a small map then one unit could indicate an entire corps, brigade, or division. On a very large map it could indicate a squadron, regiment or company. The numbers used are entirely at the discretion of the author telling the story. In most of my games I have a lot of units running around, so I envision most or my units as regiments (around 1000 men) or squadrons (150 horsemen, 20-24 aircraft) As for ships I almost always picture them as a grouping of four unless the ship is a capital ship (CV, BB) Remember that an author always has the discretion to change the numbers arbitrarily to fit into their artistic vision.

I hope to try my hand at a story sometimes soon and am thinking over some detials like those I just mentioned.
        I hope this helps, but I would caution you to listen to Skilord's advice and to not focus on the numbers so much, a good story relies on so much more than numbers and statistics.
        * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
        * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
        * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
        * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Yes, listen to skilord. Use the game as an ignition and guide but after that the sky's the limit. Make the story flow with intensity and momentum. Don't look at the game with the pinpointness of a laser but the scope of a flashlight. Know what I'm sayin'? The game is the path you can always come back to if you get too lost branching out into the wilderness of improv.

By the way people, I'm back! If you remember me. If not, then, can someone teach me how to write one of your cool stories!! :d:

Comment

Originally posted by Easthaven I
            Yes, listen to skilord. Use the game as an ignition and guide but after that the sky's the limit. Make the story flow with intensity and momentum. Don't look at the game with the pinpointness of a laser but the scope of a flashlight. Know what I'm sayin'? The game is the path you can always come back to if you get too lost branching out into the wilderness of improv.

By the way people, I'm back! If you remember me. If not, then, can someone teach me how to write one of your cool stories!! :d:
            Id like to teach..

I could teach you what NOT TO DO!!

Gramps
            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

It's alright, the 17 year old political science major will teach you to write.
              Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
                X