Activity is dead can we have our NESes back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Activity is dead can we have our NESes back

I know there were many reasons for getting rid of NESes in this forum, however doing so also severly dropped the number of storywriters we have actively writing, and interest wanes in a big way as well.

I am aware that the Stories and Diplomacy forum is where the NESes got moved, but why isn't it now called the NES forum? Nobody posts stories there, and I hacen't seen any diplomacy game there in a long time.

Now that I am a paying supporter of apolyton, I want to see some changes made for the better. I encourage anyone who agrees with me to say so on this thread.

Seriously, what were NESes hurting while they were here? Does apolyton not want posters to use it's boards? Does apolyton want people turning to CFC? Does apolyton even care?

We will see just how long it takes to see how much Apolyton cares
    First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
    Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

I agree, sir, though i find it doubtful to happen.

What I'm working on is something called a Group Story Activity, which would be entirely different from NESes and thus able to get here. The basic Idea is that maybe I post a premise for the world and a map, then we have a list of the author's (player's) names and next to them the character and or characters that they are choosing to direct, maybe even a character synopsis. There would be maybe two central characters that anyone could write on or interact with, yeah, I think that would work.

I'll look into starting up GSA1 as soon as I get settled into college, that should be a workable compromise if the admins continue the NES-Stories apartheid.
    Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

Pardon me....

What is NES and whats its all about? When I see NES, I think of the old school Nintendo system.
      Geniuses are ordinary people bestowed with the gift to see beyond common everyday perceptions.

Comment

In short, the players are the leaders in set countries. The founder of any NES game will list the countries available to play, this list will grow and as revolutions come and go. Each country can make treaties and deals with other nations, ie: the trade, technology or even the division of unexplored land.

-From the Newbies thread at CFC

look here for the 'poly version.

Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

Here's a preview of the GSA, tell me what you think turtle and anyone else who's left.

-----------------------

Group Story Activity I: For Love of the Queen

In 1785 the Final American Colonial Constitution was chartered, it would become the basis for British-Colonial relations for years to come. There was no American revolution and this would always bother fire-eaters in New England, like Samuel Adams and his Sons of Liberty. India was the next nation to enter into a Constitutional Agreement with Britain, the Ottomans and China applied for protectorates, receiving them and Britain came ever closer to world domination.

Europe still posed problems for her, of course, but there was little to be done about that and she could easily ignore them anyways. Then Germany unified under Prussia and The Three Emperor’s alliance began to try to dictate terms to France, East Europe became suddenly, far more powerful than ever before. Russia, Austria and Germany seemed capable of dictating terms to France, the newly united Italy and Spain.

The Year is 1914, the situation stinks of providence, Prime Minister Theodore Roosevelt of Northern America is beginning to pull his nation to even more autonomy and the Irish are screaming for home rule. Europe seems at the brink of something beyond anyone’s imagination, a war that will slaughter millions. Empires are won and lost in years like this, and the Germans know that as well as the British do.

-

The nations are unimportant in this game because you do not play as a nation as you would in a Neverending Story. This is not a Neverending Story; this is a Group Story Activity. The previously described AH is where our story begins. And it is up to you to pick a character to direct in that world. There is absolutely no means of winning; this is not a game, work on having a cohesive plot and on actually writing. There are no Limitations on you, there are no post requirements, if you feel like writing one short bit set in this world, and never coming back, go ahead.

Characters are our top priority, and anyone involved in the story can make his own, or as many of his own as he chooses. They will be labeled as your own and you alone will be able to write about them, unless permission is given to another author. There are also three Open Characters about whom anyone can write without any permission.

Vladmir Lenin: A Russian exile in Zurich.

Minister Theodore Roosevelt The Minister of America, essentially the President, but accountable to Britain.

Richard Blair Father to George Orwell, lives in Bengal, India.

Author - Character(s)
          SKILORD Yadayada
          Last edited by SKILORD; August 9, 2004, 23:09.

Comment

looks good to me SKILORD
            First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
            Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

Hmm.... Alternative History is one of my favorite subjects / topics. I'm willing to give this a try.

I want to make sure I understand....

If I choose to play as the Russians, then I write / act them out "exclusively"? Or if I choose America, then write / act them out, will I be the only one to do so?

Just wondering because I'd like to take Russia, America, Japan, China, etc. (Whichever nation I am able to choose) in a new direction, completely different from our real life history.

Would that be okay?

If so, I'd like to assume control of either Russia or China. I want to see what direction I can take either nation, see what I can do with them not being communist or something?

I'm a little tired of the Americans or American-analogs dominating. Time for a new superpower.
              Geniuses are ordinary people bestowed with the gift to see beyond common everyday perceptions.

Comment

Well, actually, though that setting might be good for a treaditional NES that's going to be something completely different from an NES becuase instead of controlling a nation you will basically write on one (or several if you choose) characters in that world, in any nation (or nations) you choose. You could play as the Tsar of Russia and you could, I suppose, write about your preparations to ascend Russia to premier status in the world, however any other author, even a quick temporary one or one with another character, could write about being a rebel leader in Russia and you would have to deal with that.

What the idea of the GSA is is to be more story driven than NESes ever were, and to hopefully be an effective gimmick to get talented people here, and maybe it would end up being a goood story.

Comment

Hello I am tossi from CFC. This is my first post at Apolyton. I registered to give this "GSA" a try. I´m not an excellent story writer, neither do I realy have much time, but I still want to try to post one or two stories and watch how this whole thing works.
                  "He who knows does not speak; he who speaks does not know."
                  -Lao Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by tossi
                    Hello I am tossi from CFC. This is my first post at Apolyton. I registered to give this "GSA" a try. I´m not an excellent story writer, neither do I realy have much time, but I still want to try to post one or two stories and watch how this whole thing works.
                    Welcome!
                    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Glad to have you tossi.

The GSA should be up soon (I just need to hammer out some foresight/rules issues of problems that will probably or might arise).

Comment

SKILORD, I would like to write / play the leader of the Chinese if this is acceptable. I'd really love to see what directions I can take the Chinese in.

No "Comrade" Mao Tse Tung. Perhaps there will be a President Mao Tse Tung, or Mao Tse Tung the sewer worker.

Anyways, do you know who the leader or any historical government official in 1914 China?

Comment

but you could really change some of that stuff since the change would be kinda fundamental (The American Revolution not happening could concievably mess with China's government.)

Good luck,man.

Comment

More likely Mao Zedong the farmer... he was a farmer before he became Secretary of the Communist party and before the Kuomoitang (nationalist party) opposed him and he went on the Long March and before his rise to Premeirship of the Nation of China.

Good luck.
                            -->Visit CGN!
                            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
                            X