• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• France, Ascending

Vanilla
    Regent
    Huge Map, Archipelago, mostly H2O
    I never got around to finishing this, and since I played this game so long ago, I no longer remeber all the details. So this will be left as-is. Sorry. (i did end up winning the game anyway I would have used more French words if I knew any but the most exotic thing I know is Latin so here we go.

Our civilization as (as we know it) began circa 2000 BC, when a woman named Joan d’Arc consolidated the disparate tribes of the Gaul region. She established her headquarters in her native village of Paris, a picturesque halmet bordered by fresh water to the northeast, verdant pastures to the west and sylvan greenery to the south.

An effective (and some would say visionary) leader, Joan recognized the value of knowledge from the outset – ipsa scientia potestas est, as they say. A council of tribal sages was formed with one mandate: further the knowledge of the natural world and its phenomena, and to put those advances to good use for the motherland.

While the various diviners and soothsayers were busy trying to realize the world, Joan did not sit on her laurels. Norman laborers were ordered to develop the countryside surrounding Paris in order to support her burgeoning population. A group of the fiercest warriors that had once fought each other before Joan’s unification were dispatched to the wilds of the North.

Under the flying banner of the empire that came to be known as France, this rag-tag militia encountered small villages of various natives: Burgundians, Visigoths and Saxons, among others. Some embraced the preachings of French hegemony (even going as far as joining the growing nation), while others rebelled against it outright. As more warriors were sent to the frontier, more than several units were decimated due to disgruntled barbarians trying to kick them out of their villages.

As more new land was discovered, Joan felt it necessary to assert French sovereignty over it – roving bands of warriors were simply not going to cut it. A small settlement was founded to the west of Paris. It came to be known as Orleans, and quickly established itself as a hub of productivity and growth.

Several more settlements were established in this manner, but Joan and her advisors began to realize something was askew. Adventurous travelers brought in tales from distant lands – cosmopolitan Babylon, mountainous Russia and the delightfully backward Aztec empire. Yet, these lands were nowhere to be seen. The boundaries of France ended only where the water began. These foreign empires – spawned much out of the same seeds that led to France’s rise – were out there, they told us. Joan arranged for several expeditions to scout out these new lands, knowing that expanded cultural contact would lead to a stronger France. But the ocean, seemingly infinite, swallowed them all up.

Frustration was building – not only did Joan fear the loss of trade opportunities, but her alchemists had recently experimented with an element known as iron. The potential within was astounding; alas, only minute traces were available from French soil – nowhere near enough for the utilization of such in the fashioning of weapons and armor.

Iron was not the only resource in which France was lacking – one day, a returning traveler held a crowd captive in a Paris marketplace by showing off a recent souvenir – a miraculous, four-legged beast known as a horse. He rode atop one to the gates of Joan’s palace, much to officials’ dismay, regaling stories of mounted warriors – “horsemen,” he called them - leading heroic charges and swarming city defenders. Experiments with local deer turned out to be unsuccessful.

Screenshot I took later on in the game. Note the Russian city. I later beheaded Catherine for that.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Odoacer; July 13, 2004, 02:48.

Oddulcer, this is a real hong-dooey story you got going. Dude, you should consider upgrading your terrain graphics with a Snoopy pack. The original terrain is a real eyesore.
    Here is an interesting scenario to check out. The Vietnam war is cool.

Comment

Re: France, Ascending

Originally posted by Odoacer
      Screenshot I took later on in the game. Note the Russian city. I later beheaded Catherine for that.
      great yarn... looking forward to more

oh, and great news on Catherine... wonderful news actually

/me pours a round of whiskeys

cheers for the smiles
      Attached Files
      Gurka 17, People of the Valley
      I am of the Horde.

Comment

Odoacer, its a shame you have not continued with this it started well and could have developed. have you thought about writing any more of this or perhaps trying a new story ?
        A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

well maybe he will come back real soon
          I am of the Horde.

Comment

Thanks for all the support, guys. But this is as far as I got with the story, too much time has elapsed since I've finished it (almost a year now), I couldn't possibly remeber all the little details.

Good news though. I've started writing a story about the Roman Empire which is in a style similar to what I have now, and I think it fits better. Problem is, I've long since finished that game too... I might be able to just make up some stuff and fill in the blanks too. The ending is a doozy... it'll probably make its way onto these forums in one form or another.

Comment

looking forward to it
              I am of the Horde.

Comment

Working...
              X