Victorious Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victorious Return

There's something freeing about summer vacation... especially after a year of a college education. Returning to my usual activities for when I'm bored, I have come back to the Civ 3 forums to see if anyone else is around, and I offer the following to the critics who I ask pick apart in a constructive matter. High fives for all and spiff dibbles, here is: Victorious Return!

Well, I'm sticking to some of my favorite characters from within Civ 3 and other things too. This story is a what if scenario, namely, what if the Chinese had used gunpowder for guns instead of fireworks, and Alexander the Great's conquest had stretched further east so that these two civilizations in their "golden age" may have met.

1200 AD

The Frontier War was in full swing. Alexander's great army was carving a great Empire directly into China's heart. The Chinese council of three, a group of warlords that banded together to stop the foreign threat, was meeting to discuss the implementation of a new means of creating fire:

"My gracious and exalted lords. I am your humble servant Zhuge Liang. I have completed the project which you have assigned to me, surpassing every expectation you set before me, and bettering every promise I made for you."

Cao Cao, the head councilman, was skeptical of this "strategist" from Shu.

"How will this be an effective weapon? Your demonstration seemed nothing more than smoke and loud noise!"

"Well sir, perhaps you would like to see what it can do to a human being, if it is not effective, then surely a great man such as yourself would be brave enough to submit your body to a simple test."

Cao Cao knew Zhuge's reputation, and as such decided to bring in melons to test the new weapon on first.

In moments, one of Cao Cao's advisors, Jia Xu, had set up an array of melons on pikes in the main chamber.

"Xiahou Dun! Show this 'strategist' what a warrior can do!"

Xiahou Dun charged the first melon and obliterated it in one stroke from his sword.

"Warriors hate melon!!!!!!!!!!!" Xiahou Dun roared before returning to his post along the chamber wall.

"Impressive!" chided Zhuge, "watch this."

Zhuge Liang moved with the utmost grace and ceremony, the Council would think this weapon cowardly if he acted any other way. He set the firearm up and aimed it in a line through the melons.

BLAAAAH BLAMMMMMMMMMMMMM!! The chamber was filled with smoke and the council watched in awe as the remaining melons seemed to explode into bits.

"Was this demonstration satisfactory sires?"

Before Cao Cao could speak, Liu Bei, ruler of Shu, stood up. "Excellent demonstration master Zhuge, please return to Shu and comission artisans to produce enough of these weapons to rearm half of our archer corps."

"Yes sire!" and with that Zhuge rushed out the doorway knowing full well that Cao Cao felt anger at being made a fool of by Zhuge.

Meanwhile, somewheres east of the Himalayas...

"This indiginous buffalo makes me wanna Yak!!!!!!!!!"

Great words from a great leader, Lord Alexander was suffering from a lack of spice.

" I thought our spices came from the Orient! If things were to get any more oriental around here I would become Tibetan!"

"Sire, in all respect, we just traversed the largest mountains any one of us has ever seen."

"Not true! I've seen bigger!"

"Well then, except for my glorious sire, they were the largest any have ever seen."

"That's better, now this indiginous food isn't good, could I sample the indiginous women now?"

"You could sire, if there were any.. all we've found so far are monks who worship llamas"

"Cool! A petting zoo! I bet we find all kinds of chicks there!"

Alexander's advisor sometimes felt more like Alexander's mommy than a trusted advisor.

"Sire we need to prepare to take this next city, if we are successful I promise you there will be local... ahem "flavors" to sample."

"Do it then!"

Oooh more until I get a job!
    First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
    Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

welcome back, are you going to contuinue this ?

hope so
    A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Oi!

Yeah!

Oi!

Welcome back, bro, glad to see yah.
      Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

1201 AD

The Council of Three was meeting again to discuss this new exploitation of religious leaders in the west. Gao Lan was reporting the atrocities as he witnessed them firsthand.

"What do you mean they were trying to rape llamas? There aren't even any llamas there, and I'm pretty sure we're not even supposed to know what a llama is!"

"Well sire, those westerners have a funny way of talking... I could be very much mistaken."

"What else did they do?"

"They captured a petting zoo, looking for chicks... but they left the baby chickens alone."

"What a strange custom, how are our defences?"

"We've turned the tide now that the Shu warriors have Master Zhuge's new weapon."

Liu Bei was overjoyed at this news. "Shu warriors turned the tide eh? Zhang Fei! Guan Yu! Zhao Yun! Huaung Zhong! Ma Chao! Show them what Shu's five tigers can do now that the enemy has tasted the Dragon's fire!"

These men were known as tigers becouse of their ferocious bravery and willingness to kill tigers. Master Zhuge had earned the name Dragon because of his fire tactics.

The five tigers set off towards the line with their troops which numbered close to 1,000,000. The fear in the eyes of the enemy at this new addition to the defenses of China was as sweet as the tastiest honey to these men.

(Just a little chapter because I'm in my college's university center and summer hours make it close in three minutes. I'll try to do more tomorrow)
        First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
        Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

1201 The Greeks

Everyone in the Greek camp was getting tired of Lord Alexander's shenanigans. (that's right I got shenanigans in here hehe) Shenanigans that seemed odd, rude, bizarre, and in nearly all cases, embarassing to the Greek forces.

Rippopoopolytus, a Captain in the Greek army was at his wit's end. He ordered his most feminine soldier, Bigfagyus, to impersonate a woman outside Alexander's tent, hoping to lure the illustrious and crude leader outside.

Bigfagyus gave his best performance ever, unfortunately it was outside the wrong tent. The next morning as the fog lifted, Steve the stand-in lay dead and Bigfagyus was nowhere to be seen. Rippopoopolytus was worried that there would be an investigation, so he fled to the enemy lines begging for asylum.

Jiao Vong was there to meet Rippopoopolytus with a band of 100 new marksmen. Rippopoopolytus allowed himself to be taken by Jiao Vong, and was made privy to the knowledge of the powerful new weapons.

Meanwhile, Alexander was tiring of the local 'flavor'.

"This place is boring! All the women are hairy and nonhuman, we need to keep advancing!"

His advisor let out a big I-hate-my-job sigh and began telling Alexander the news of the front.

"Sire, firstly, we've had some desertion and death within the camp. Rippopoopolytus is missing, as is Bigfagyus. Steve the stand-in was assassinated with his pants down, and nobody knows what the new chinese weapon is, but it is killing our troops faster than that syphilis outbreak in turkey."

"Daaaaaaaaaaayum!"

"Daaaaaaaaaaayum is right sire, we need to focus now more than ever."

Alexander was still a military genius even if his actions didn't always show it, he had a plan.

"Get the Greek Fire!"

"Greek fire sir?"

"You mean we left the Greek Fire in Greece?"

"No, I just think that's a little cruel sir. Burning all those animals li-"

"It's not for the animals you idiot! Put it in pots and launch it from the catapults! We'll destroy them from the inside since we cannont attack from the outside."

"Why sire! That's brilliant!"

"Yeah, I was due for some brilliantness sooner or later."

"That you were sire, that you were."

Rippopoopolytus was now being questioned by his Chinese captors, they were wondering what would cause a man of such high rank to abandon his army.

Jiao Vong began the questioning

"Who are you?"

"Rippopoopolytus the Greek, descendant of Heracles and other such dudes!"

"Rip a poop poly tus? What does that mean?"

"My grandaddy died of the dysentery"

"My condolences, so tell me dysentery man, why did you leave your army?"

"I tried to kill Alexander, but just killed his stand-in, Steve."

"Y'all got a stand-in named Steve too?"

"Hecks yeahs, who don'ts be havin' a stand-in named Steve."

"w0rd yo, so why we be speakin' ebonics?"

"The dude who be writin' this be crazy fo sho."

Metaliturtle chimed in, "I'm not crazy, I just think a greek guy and a chinese guy speaking ebonics at each other is funny."

"I'm down" They both replied in unison.

Jiao Vong continued. "I can't make a decision on what to do with you, that responsibility is for the council of three, so guess who you get to meet."

Rippopoopolytus was excited, "Do I get to meet Elvis?"

"No you fool! You get to meet three men much greater than Elvis!"

"Greater than Elvis? He was the king! Nobody is greater than Elvis!"

"Dude, You shouldn't even know who Elvis is!"

"Ok fine, I'll go meet the three stooges."

"Council of Three!!!!"

"No thanks I peed before I left."

"Let's just go."

So Rippopoopolytus and Jiao Vong headed to the capital at Luo Yang to meet the council of three, we'll see how it went in the next chapter.

((What do you guys think?))

Comment

Most amusing, as ever your ability to write humour shines through

A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Thanks Chrisius

Comment

well, I'll try to put more up on monday or tuesday

Comment

The Council Meeteth

Rippopoopolytus stood before the scrutinizing glares of the ambitious Cao Cao, the calm Sun Quan, and the virtuous Liu Bei.

"So this is what a Grecian looks like!"

"He's really hairy don't you think?"

"Indeed, let's get information from him by plucking individual hair by individual hair!"

"Sweet!"

Rippopoopolytus was concerned, the word "sweet" sounds rather devilish in Chinese and it wasn't what he wanted to hear.

Jiao Vong spoke up on Rippopoopolytus' behalf.

"Sires, this man has joined us! He has information about the Grecian's new weapons."

"NEW WEAPONS!?" They stammered

"Yes sires, powerful ones."

Cao Cao became intrigued, "will they beat master Zhuge's weapons?"

"Perhaps sire."

Cao Cao was silently pleased at this, this Grecian war was just getting in the way of his plans to rule all of China by himself.

"Well, we must use caution, ask the prisoner how the new Greek weapons work."

Jiao Vong asked Rippopoopolytus, who was very quiet in his response.

"It is fire that can't be doused."

"Sires he says that the weapon is fire that cannot be doused."

"That's impossible! This means that such fire would burn on water!"

"Indeed it does."

"The prisoner is lying! Send him to the tiger pit!" Oh how did Cao Cao love his tiger pit...

In the meantime the Greeks had their catapults loaded and were moving them in range of the Chinese fort city at Cheng Du.

"Three! Two! One! FIRE!!!!!"

THWUNK THWUNK THWUNK THWUNK THWUNK The catapults went off one after the other and the men watched as their fireballs hurtled through the night sky.

The expected sound of stone on stone was unheard by the chinese on the wall, just the sound of broken pottery behind them. They were not alarmed, with the new weapons Zhuge Liang had provided, the Greek archers could not touch them.

The Greeks kept letting the fireballs fly, finally one landed atop the wall, setting ten men on fire.

"Put me out put me out!" They shrieked.

As the other men left post to find water, the Greeks stealthfully advanced under cover of nightfall and confusion.

The catapults repositioned and began firing on the large wooden gates. The castle looked about ready to crumble. Those manning the wall were succeeding only in setting each other on fire, and the army in the city was in shambles trying to throw blankets over the growing flames.

Then a shriek that sounded directly from the bowels of hades seemed to come up behind the right flank of the Greeks. It was the five tigers, each as strong as 1000 men, some much stronger. The Greeks began to fight the hardest battle they've ever seen.

It will be told in detail next time.

Comment

Good stuff looking forward to the next bit

Comment

thanks mate

I got some funny looks this morning on the train, as I chuckled reading this...
                      Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                      I am of the Horde.

Comment

Sorry about the delay guys, it may be a few days or so, I'm starting up a new job... warehouse... eek

Comment

Umm...actually, Alexander wasn't that manly. Let's just say it had something to do with Hephastion.
                          Now just don't go forming any angry mobs now, you hear?

Comment

Nice work Mark, keep it up.
                            Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

Originally posted by PresidentMarcos
                              Umm...actually, Alexander wasn't that manly. Let's just say it had something to do with Hephastion.

Yeah, if you haven't guessed yet I don't do the historical thing too much in my stories.

Comment

Working...
                              X