The Tribe by the Lake Han

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tribe by the Lake Han

(this is based on a 2 player game I'm having with PaddytheScot. I'm writing it like a history but I hope it doesn't get too dry)

The Korean people first appeared near the shore of Lake Han about 4000 BCE where they fished, hunted, and gathered roots and fruit. With the discovery that seeds can be planted near a home and food harvested in the fall, the Korean people had a problem. Agriculture led to population explosions and a large population meant competition for land. The ten main tribes of the Korean people decided to scatter instead of fight and with settlements turning into towns, the Han Empire was born.

The first records of the Korean people date back to 2270 BCE. The Koreans did not have a proper writing system at the time but a complex system of pictographs which they later discarded in favour of an alphabet called Hangul. By the time of the first pictographs they had come into contact with the Dutch to their south and the Iroquois far to their north though exchanges were very limited.

Koreans probably first started writing as an aid in the ancient barbarian wars. It was sometime in the 3rd millenium BCE that barbarian warriors and horsemen swept down from the south and emerged from previously peaceful villages to attack Korea¡¯s people. Fear of the barbarians and worries about the superior military of the Dutch to the south prompted Korea¡¯s rulers to build better defences. At the same time, the rulers decided that expanding the empire into the wild lands would be a good way to push out the barbarians and to strengthen the nation against the possibly greater threat of the civilised nations around it.

The year 2230 saw many attack by the barbarians in the northern frontiers. Horsemen twice attacked a unit of exploring warriors but were repulsed both times. The experience from these battles forged the warriors into an elite fighting force. The Korean rulers continued to send other warrior explorers into the wilderness in the hopes of finding riches and other civilised nations with whom to trade.
    Formerly known as Masuro.
    The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

The year 2190 saw the end of the first major barbarian invasion. The 1st Frontier Warriors fought off an attack by horsemen and then destroyed a band of warriors. Examinations of a memorial stele suggest that the 1st Frontier Warriors attacked the barbarian warriors from the shelter of trees as they were marching by. Feeling that the frontiers were becoming safer, the rulers of Korea sent a band of colonists towards the iron deposits in the south to secure that resource. Their movement was somewhat facilitated by the invention of the wheel. Military ¡®scientists¡¯ of the day devised a wheeled fighting platform called a chariot but none were put into service because of the rough terrain of the frontiers.

Comment

Nice stuff Masuro, could you post some pics
      A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

I guess I could now and then. Thanks for reading!

Comment

Bring it on mate
          Gurka 17, People of the Valley
          I am of the Horde.

Comment

I'm giving up this story for reasons of disorganisation. And the game goes too fast to keep a good record. The turns just fly between Paddy and myself ^^ But please check out my new story based on a single player game called Brennus the Immortal. You can see it here: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...readid=113755. Pictures included!!

Comment

indeed
              I am of the Horde.

Comment

If you are stopping writing this, at least be sure to give Paddy a good thrashing.
                Here is an interesting scenario to check out. The Vietnam war is cool.

Comment

I'm looking for him even as we speak

Comment

A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

They seek him here

they seek him there

all the time I was in the pub

ahhh Paradise
                      I am of the Horde.

Comment

Oops, you weren't supposed to see that post

Comment