Failure is their Salvation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth’s Destruction

A dark green lizard creature stares intently at a monitor. The tongue of the creature flips in and out of his mouth as his face - without expression - watches the screen. The Zabou have been watching the human space effort for several years. With clandestine satellites around Saturn, information is sent back to Rwod, what the humans call “Alpha Centauri.” The Zabou lizard creature hits a button on the panel and another green lizard-like creature appears on the screen. “When the human vessel is within range of our Saturn satellite,” hisses the first Zabou, “destroy the Earth space vessel.” “Then destroy every city on that planet.” With that he turned the monitor off and grabs a book. As the book cover comes into view, the title is legible, it reads: “History of the Great Zabou Civilization.”

Commander Nielson and Paul Smith sit dejectedly in the Commander’s office. Neither man is speaking. Paul is startled when a phone call breaks the silence. The Commander answers, “Nielson.” As Paul looks up at the Commander, he sees shock on the Commander’s face. The Commander searches for the remote. He finds it under a pile of paper and flips the TV on to VNN. The image is a destroyed Chinese Space vessel drifting in space. People start running into the Commander’s office staring at the screen. “Aliens…” someone whispers. The TV screen shows inbound missiles from the direction of Saturn. “What are those?” someone asks. The phone rings again, Commander Nielson answers and says, “Yes Mr. President. No, sir. I don’t know…. I will, sir. Right away sir”

The Commander slams the phone down in the cradle. The Commander announces, “Everyone, we have fifteen minutes to get ourselves and everything we can carry to that our rocket.” I know it’s not fully complete, but it’s serviceable. The President of Scandinavia has ordered us to depart with whatever we can – just in case the Earth doesn’t survive this alien attack.

For the next fifteen minutes, complete panic and pandemonium erupts as people, goods and equipment is loaded into the space pod. A course is plotted that will keep the Viking space rocket hidden from the alien satellite by the keeping the earth between the satellite and the ship. Paul wonders how long the journey will take without fusion power, if they are really going for an extended space journey, as he straps himself into a chair. The pod fills will people from the space center and surrounding buildings, but it still a thousand people short of the 5,000 settler capacity. A short countdown is initiated, the rockets fire, and the space shuttle blasts off into space. As the space journey begins: the future is uncertain, it’s a journey the Vikings have taken before.
    Last edited by Shogun Gunner; December 30, 2003, 18:17.
    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

wow, wow this is great,

I have just printed it off to go and read it on the balcony

How long have you been working on this?

Edit: Thanks for this great story.

Amazing, a good read.
      Last edited by Paddy; December 31, 2003, 07:22.
      Gurka 17, People of the Valley
      I am of the Horde.

Comment

Thanks Paddy! I worked on this during a few slow periods at work this month. Not sure how many hours....maybe 10 altogether.

Actually, I was probably to anxious to post the story. After re-reading it, I should have rewritten a few sections. Thanks for the compliment! If you have any feedback or suggestions, I'm open to that.

Comment

good story. Kept my interest the whole time.

Steven
          "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Just read the whole thing! Wow!! as Paddy exclaimed. Nice work Shogun, that was a most enjoyable story
            A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Thanks steven8r and ChrisiusMaximus. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Comment

Great piece of literature this, Shogun Gunner. I just got a chance to read it, and I commend you on this effort. I just wish you graced us with your talent more often.
                XBox Live: VovanSim
                xbox.com (login required)
                Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                Spore page

Comment

your story has made me register so that I could vote for it. I like your style. Please do more stories.

Comment

Nexgen99, that is very flattering. Thank you very much. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I am working on another story right now...It's about 1/3 done.

Comment

That was fantastic - was hooked from the first paragraph & am looking forward to your next story.

Comment

vovan, remick: wow... thanks, guys! Thanks for reading it!

Comment

Yes this is a great story from the papper and quill master

Will we be seeing more of your works soon Lord of the Dance?

We all hope so
                          I am of the Horde.

Comment

Hey Paddy...

I have a story partially completed, but no time to work on it. My available time has seem to have evaporated recently.

Thanks for the compliment. @ "Lord of the Dance"

Shogun Gunner

Comment

so do we have any word on your next story old chap
                              I am of the Horde.

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
                                Hey Paddy...

I have a story partially completed, but no time to work on it. My available time has seem to have evaporated recently.

Thanks for the compliment. @ "Lord of the Dance"

Shogun Gunner
                                hoping all is well and you will write again soon
                                I am of the Horde.

Comment

Working...
                                X