Mighty Nations and their Downfalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mighty Nations and their Downfalls

"Time after time I open my eyes, I smell those smells, I see those sites. Of all the worlds I have seen, they all are different and yet oddly familiar. The grasslands and deserts, jungles and forests, rivers and oceans are all still there, but always they are in new places."

"The beginning is always the same, one city, the epicenter of my future kingdom is formed by nomads that no longer wish to wander. I would like to say that this is where I matter the most, but it is not, for things in this period are almost pre-determined. Expand. That is the one thing in my early conciousness. And so it came to pass, on this new world, that my new nation stretched 3 full city lengths long."

"To the north we found a strange empire, the Aztecs, our first contact with them came in the form of a strange man, wearing a silly little hat. He called himself a Jaguar Warrior I think, but that was so long ago."

"To the southwest our spearmen came in contact with "The Mongols", I don't remember much about them, aside from the ruins of their towns."

"Yes, they were our first prey. It's hard for me to recall why we choose them. Perhaps it was our meager knowledge of the world beyond the Aztec boarders, or maybe it was just their foolish trek, with a warrior and a settler, to make a city beyond our borders, using our roads to travel there. Either way, three of our five cities began to churn out Swordsmen and Cavalry."

"The war started in 1550 BC, with the mongol founding of Kazan. Our troops moved swiftly, battering themselves savagely against the light defenses on the capital city of Karakorum. It fell in 1525 with no casualties, well, to my troops. Kazan was destroyed a full 150 years after the fall of their capital. The long war was brought to a "swift" end with the fall of "Ta-tu" to our brave swordsmen in 1325 BC."

"So ended the first "war", and my nation was on top. Yes, we were ontop once, don't give me that look."

"I allowed myself to grow quietly, I traded my horses and my wines and my furs with the Silly Hats, and yet I never got the one thing I wanted the most. I wanted a silly hat for myself. But my foreign advisor told me 'No, great queen, they will be horribly offended by such a request.' Hrmph. What does that fool know about the way of the world? I thought."

"Yes! That is what started the second war. A silly hat, I wanted it, I asked and they told me I was foolish, and if I was not careful of my 'demands' they would silence *MY* empire. The next year, 975 BC, we met Carthage and 100 years later our war with the Silly Hats had begun."

"First our swordsmen moved up to the city of Teotihuacan and captured it. No silly hats there, so disappointing. Next our troops massed on the boarders of Tenochtitlan, their capital, moved in and took that city. I had my silly hat now, but the foolish Aztecs refused to submit. Needless to say our cities stood on the ruins of their cities within 300 years."

"We were on top of the world, so said my advisors. On the crescent shaped continent my nation stretched from the southernmost desert to the boarder of Hippo and Leptis Minor, where my last enemy seemingly slept. So that is the history of my nation."

"No no, I will not tell you of the troubles."

"Fine, I will let you know, if only you promise to come back tomorrow."

"All our wars had drained our treasury and I had cut off science funding to keep the troops flowing into the feild. I recognize the trouble this caused, but not soon enough. Mighty Egypt was now a stagnant nation, and the then lowly Carthage had yet to see its own 'Golden Age'."

Ok you have my attention.

Looking forward to more of this.

Gurka 17, People of the Valley
    I am of the Horde.

Comment

Royal Palce, 690 AD:

Queen Cleopatra sat silently in her throne, her legs throne over one arm and her back resting on the opposite arm. Smiling softly she ran her slender fingers over the jewels and ornate carvings. She looked quietly out of a window, watching the finest craftsman of her nation construct a new wing to her palace.

Hiroso, a common visitor to her fine palace, pressed open the great wooden doors and stepped inside with his head held high. "Queen Cleopatra, Hannibal sends his regards."

~~~

Egypt-Carthage Boarder, 690 AD:

"Mommy! Mommy!" A sharp voice cried out, coupled with the sounds of tiny feet running. A young boy, perhaps 9 or 10, sped down the corridor of the train infront of the desert train. "I want icecream mommy!"

The boy turned sharply into a cabin and continued his plead with the young woman laying lazily in the room. "Mommy please!" His eyes turned big and wet instantly and his hands clasped together infront of him.

At first her lips moved to say no, but upon seeing the familiar pleading face her will instantly caved. "Fine. But just a small cone."

The boy, already assured of his victory was already digging the money out of her purse.

~~~
      Royal Palace, 690 AD:

"Ahh, Hiroso, it is good to know Carthage still wishes relations with mighty Egypt." Cleopatra turned slowly in her seat, smiling brightly. "What do you come here for?"

"First, my lady, I wish to give you a gift." Hiroso moved forward, a strange look upon his face, in his hands he held a small box. "Six thousand gold, in gift for canceling all active trades. The people of Carthage grow weary, we need these luxuries dearly."

Cleopatra's face immediately turned to sorrow, she knew what was happening despite the pretensions put up by her visitor. "Very well, we take your 'gift'." She turned and whispered a few words to a servant who seemed ever present when she needed him.

Hiroso stood slightly puzzled as the servant ran off, then turned his attention back to Cleopatra. "In addition... Hannibal demands all luxuries available be prepared for shipment."

"Demands? Who does Hannibal think he is dealing with? If it is war..."

"It is." Hiroso interjected, coldly.

"you want.......... WHAT?" Cleopatra gave a flick of her wrist, her fingers pointing at Hiroso. "Hannibal will regret this."

"I highly doubt it." Hiroso turned and then backed up a few feet, Egyptian guards stood directly behind him. "I demand free passage."

"So that you may tell Hannibal our answer? I think not. I need time to prepare." She turned her back on him, a deeply worried look upon her face as the guards dragged Hiroso away.

~~~

Egypt-Carthage Boarder, 690 AD:

The boys tongue swirled around the icecream, a bright smile spread from ear to ear on his messy face.

"Do you hear that?" The young mother cried out, a faint sound some distance away.

"No." A man, the father, claimed.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"There it is again." This time the sound was louder, a sharp burst of sound.

"I did hear th..." The sound, the deadly sound of a cannon impacting, made its intentions known. The deadly barrage of ammo tore the train asunder, another war had erupted on the crescent shapped continent.

Comment

interesting
        I am of the Horde.

Comment

More please
          A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Well, I couldn't say that this is very original approach to a Civ3 story, but nonetheless, very nice effort. I'd very much like to see this continued.
            XBox Live: VovanSim
            xbox.com (login required)
            Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
            Spore page

Comment

Hi EvilPoohCutie,

can we have some more please
              I am of the Horde.

Comment

Working...
              X