Reverie of Empire: A Poem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverie of Empire: A Poem

I am not known for my poetry and yet I felt inclined to write and post this. It's not a gambit at the contest, I could care less whether it is entered or not. It is Civ related so I won't deny it from the contest (See: Political Freedom) but I won't be the one to nominate it, if it goes in it'll be a clean entrance without the pollution of my input. I mostly have put it here for feedback purpouses though. The story is set at the Anarchy between a Republic and a Democracy (Or just away from a Republic). It holds a far less idealised version of Anarchy than I usually do, but the guy who's telling the story isn't happy where he is. There is nothing insignificant in this Poem, the seagulls, even the foam of the waves.

It is also pretty short

Reverie of Empire
    A Poem

The seagulls played their idle games;
    Dancing atop the foamy waves,
    As I stood there in the darkness bleak
    In hopes that I would move my feet,
    My love; the Law, has come and gone;
    I betrayed it without word or song,

Judas, at least, gave one last kiss;
    A mocking of devotion’s bliss,
    I left no final hint thereof;
    And yet I did betray my love,
    Oh mighty Law; broken foundation,
    Forgive me: I fled the tribulation,

May God, in his mercy, grant me a soul,
    Of greater strength, to withstand all,
    And place within me better sense
    Of loyalty and faithfulness,
    For I am lord of sinners all
    King of weakness, Lord of the fall.

Without Satan’s determination; true
    But weaker still, than him or you;
    Without a crutch of wickedness
    Behind which to hide my faithlessness,
    I do repent in these dark days,
    And pray that I may find the way.

Once a Judge of Court Supreme,
    I ran and hid when all would scream
    I hide yet now; when law is dead,
    I have no constance, the road my bed
    I watch and wait for better day,
    When all in peace might turn and say
    Words of forgiveness to his brother
    And repent of Anarchy to one another.

Until that day; distant and bleak,
    Here I make my judgment seat,
    I roam and hide and offer council
    To all who want it I have mounts full,
    Little else have I to give;
    Than treasured mistakes of a life poorly lived.

And so; as dire as you may feel,
    Always remember my ordeal,
    For slight you as the world may do;
    You never thirst for that which is true
    And yet I wander; roam the country,
    In search of all which has been lost to me.

Hold tight to laws and please adhere;
    For alternatives are too much to bear.
    Last edited by SKILORD; August 27, 2003, 22:42.
    Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Its very good SKI, my only thought is you have been too concerned with getting it to rhyme in certain places.

A poem doesnt always have to rhyme perfectly as long as the overall work fits together well.

It was enjoyable to read and deserves a
    A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

I first thought, this poem was about some out-of-work lawyer.

True, a poem doesn't have to rhyme.

But, the rhyming gives it an added beat/ rhythim, which makes it very enjoyable and interesting. At least to me. So keep rhyming.

In conclusion, I like it. Good Job!!!
      "The Pershing Gulf War began when Satan Husane invaided Kiwi and Sandy Arabia. This was an act of premedication."
      Read the Story ofLa Grande Nation , Sieg oder Tod and others, in the Stories Forum

Comment

Re: Reverie of Empire: A Poem

Originally posted by SKILORD
        I mostly have put it here for feedback purpouses though.
        You mean you put it here for feeding porpoises?
        Here is an interesting scenario to check out. The Vietnam war is cool.

Comment

Well, I didn't write that on Word so it wasn't spellchecked. I am an awful speller.

I roam and hide and offer council
          To all who accept it I have mounts full,
          Little else have I to give
          Than the mistakes of a life poorly lived.
          This is where the rhyming really started to fall apart, I can see it too.

I'm gonna go over this with as fine of a gramatical brush as I can wield to try to sort out the words into a better cadance (sp?).
          Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

That is great

Love to see poetry in action

thank you
            Gurka 17, People of the Valley
            I am of the Horde.

Comment

Ive just sat and reread this and noticed the very fine touches you have made, well it was good already but youve only gone and made it spectacular !! well done it was a joy to read
              A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Well, I've never been able to enjoy English-language poetry much... Just doesn't fit my ear nearly as well as Russian poetry... So, I can't really fully appreciate this... But I think it is pretty good. I mean, I wouldn't have been able to write something nearly as good as this. I really like the rythm you developed in the first two... eh, I don't really know the word, stanza's? And while it kind of went away later on, I think the poem still shows a great deal of effort and quality. Kudos for that, my friend.
                XBox Live: VovanSim
                xbox.com (login required)
                Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                Spore page

Comment

Working...
                X