The story of Atlantis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

endgame

1780 ad - I must be able to find a pretext for a short war , the military advisor suggests the benefits of a military academy superior to that in Byzantia. I feel that the Greeks may have handed me such an opportunity and I must only extend my hand and take it, when and the treaty with France expires.

The new Senate would certainly not support a war of agression as heartily as a defensive war , ah, the disadvantages of this democracy, simply require a more sophisticated approach, the pretext will simply be solidiers stationed a little "too close" and passively performing the task of a mote in the eye of the Greeks, eventually an itch so great they must scratch .

1824 ad - Well, it appears that war is upon us. We, however were looking the other way when the first blades drawn and the first shots were fired.

The pretext for war was nothing I would have to concoct. I overlooked the advent of the Industrial Revolution everywhere else. I was deluding myself that the other nations would idly sit by while we have 4 separate sources and two cities situatated for Iron Works. While France apparently is in posession of but one resource of coal on a small spit of land, Egypt has none, and more relevantly, Babylonia has none either. It has been decreed that Oceanus, which although meager in it's city's improvements, can be transformed with attention from the workers and a leap in productivity, as the Works can make all things occur in this city.

Of the war, Babylon, their last and best hope for coal is an unprovoked and deliberate attack on the nearly undefended New Atlantis. While lightly defended, (they certainly cannot attack) , should be able to hold out until the attack forces reach Babylonia itself. Arriving overseas, a retaliatory sneak attack is planned with a diversionary attack with the last of the legionaires on the far side of Babylonia a few rounds before capture or destruction of their smallest of cities should suffice to bring them to the table quite amicably I imagine, No peace shall be theirs however, if the solidiers make landfall Babylon is doomed to nothing but this chronicle.

1828 ad - France has lost it's coal!!! Reports from survey ships and galleons passing the area of France's lone source of coal report it is exhausted. The French economy has ground to a technological halt . It could have been the break Atlantis needs to surpass the others technologically once, and for all. While they could aquire new coal, Joan's attitude makes this unlikely.

The war continues with several bombardments by sea of New Atlantis. While it is impossible to put ships to sea in the area yet. 4 galleons are en route to Babylonia and two ironclads but they will not make it to the colonies for some time.

Domestically, I have commissioned the workers to concentrate on the other cities as the 5 major production centers of the homelands have been improved as far as possible. Polution is a serious problem but the ancient doctors were right, it seems the polution is not so bad in Aurelius or Claudius as might be the case without the great rivers.

1844 ad - Damnable Babylonians, They sank the first of our troop transports headed to Bablyonia while it was still at sea and quite far from Babylon. The second group of 2 transports will be enough still to make them pay for their mistakes.

1850 ad - Darwin's discoveries are quite astounding, they play themselves out even here on the battlefield of New Aurelius. Our soldiers are more advanced than the Babylonians and thus they survive. Since we had but warriors defeating Suren barbarians ancient ages ago our science advisor has done admirably, we now have mastery of two series of sciences which were unknown to all, we are now advanced beyond comparison, with the invention of electronics our peace is nearly assured, our civilization truly is the greatest on the planet but the other's keep discovering other sciences very rapidly and we must follow 3rd or 4th in the line of discovery on these, I hope that our economy and scientists and keep the pace of innovation while retracing the steps of others.

1858 ad - The City of Xebec's Victory was just that, Xebec's Victory named in reference to an epic ancient and before time, was certainly the inspriation of the elite riders who alone, attacked and rode into history. Agressively defending the defiling Babylonian raid upon the city. All the other defenses failed, 2 musketeer units and one other horseman unit were utterly destroyed.

1862 ad - Xebec's Demise was also apparently named just as appropriately. The Hero Xebec after forming an Army as the military advisor mentioned so many years ago, this grouping of varied units together, all of them were injured but were able to defend Xebec's Demise from yet another attack from the sea by the evil Babylonians.

Reinforcements arrived but were nearly wiped out themselves. The army of Xebec was not alas, long lived as they, although injured, they attacked and destroyed one unit of swordmen encamped outside the city walls. After the battle was finished and before they could return to the city, they were almost immediately beset and ambushed, only just outside of the city walls, They died fighting, to a man, annihilated in battle against the Babylonian troops who were seeking the capture of the city of Xebec's Demise, death came for all of them on a defensable wooded ground near the city.

1866 ad - Babylonia, is retreating! Their invaders destroyed to a man, their fleet damaged, bombarded by newly upgraded artillery units, limped home with not even bodies to bring to their soon to be grieving widows. The victory of Xebec's short lived Army innagurates a new era of building in the first cities.

1868 ad - Damnation! The fates and the very rocks of the planet itself conspire against me. I am betrayed by those vile barbarian Germans. It could only be the Germans for no-one else has other sources of coal let alone spare coal. I cannot even press my own interests further. Germany it seems has gifted Babylon with the needed coal they sought from us over the blood of dead Atlanteans.

1870 ad - As if the situation couldn't get any worse, Babylon apparently gained their own source of coal shortly after the Germany trade treaty - or perhaps it is their own coal that we have seen it is very near where my troops have just landed on Babylonia.

Worse still is that they have formed an mutual protection pact with France and Germany ostensibly against Egypt but this damnable system of alliances. Perhaps I can use this to my advantage however.

If there is anything good at all in this year it is that, Aurelius has produced it's Heroic Epic as it was already working on the wonder of the womens rights of sufferage, it was a fortuitous circumstance.

1872 ad - The war is over - Nearly 50 years of war with Babylon ended in bloodshed on both sides but I think that we were the victors - if there ever truly are victors in battle. While a defensive victory to be sure. The added fact of invasion by our new infantry units certain did not hurt the negotiations.

An excerpt from the groundbreaking speech in Kittahmer, "...I feel it is altogether fitting and proper that this place be the home of the new Military Academy...." A memorial fortification will be erected on the site of the latest victory of the first army of Atlantis in rememberance of our victory and it is also the bitter defeats suffered by our troops by Babylonia as well as the troops of Babylonia at our hands. The dead do no know one great civilization from another they know only death.

1878 ad - I must refocus the efforts of the people on the matters of our great civilization. The war has changed us and I feel it is the solemn responsibility to ensure that it is for the better. A formulation to focus on the sciences is embarked, we must retake the lead in science, if we do not already posess it, once in hand it must be a beacon far and away from the other civilizations.

1888 ad - Well I should have done this 25 or 30 years ago, The rights of sufferage for the women of Atlantis allowing them a voice and say in the democratic process has caused much rejoicing throughout the land.

1924 ad - Our civilization progresses rapidly, motorized transportation is soon to be a tool in our scientists recordings. An active program of economic assistance to those cities which lag behind the main bulk of cities which now produce only wealth. We are prepared for new discoveries and can capitalize on them readily. Our workers need only clear pollution occasionally, the whole of Atlantis and New Atlantis have efficient rail networks reaching all points.

Diplomatically speaking, I was prophetic, the world needs a whipping boy - or in this case girl, Cleopatra, is all but eliminated from the planet. Otherwise, I have not interested myself other than for trades of various luxury items and to ensure we are not in danger of imminent war.

1930 ad - Our science cannot not progress fast enough! We are now engaged to develop computers which can perform 100 hours of calculations and accounting work in just a few seconds. Research can only be increased but I fear not enough time to go I must devise a plan to "share" our technologies and speed the progress of the whole world. Perhaps the barbarian Germans might be approachable even our once hated enemy Babylon seems advanced enough that they might serve a purpose.

1942 ad - Success - Germany so eager to obtain their motorized transportation has gifted us wildly beyond my imaginings. 1000 gold pieces and I have set them up to invent surely either fission or rocketry. They have even requested computers and I'm sure would love to have at our research in ecology but this is a necessary state secret for the moment. Computers are something I may never share with the other races.

1951 ad - With but a year or two removed from the completion of the SETI project I am confident my strategy of technological sharing was wise. Our cities rapidly produce whatever technologies we invent. This productivity more than anything else is the key for what is it worth to know of computers for 100 years and be unable to produce even one research facility. Trading our coal and our petroleum reserves allow us to have sway over the other civilizations in a way I could have barely conceived of barely 100 years ago. Practically all the civilizations of the world pay tribute to us, this amount numbers in the hundreds of gold pieces per year and allows us to reduce our tax rate to 0, practically speaking, the other civilizations are paying for us to do our research! ride:

1961 ad - Our science rate will allow us now to fulfill the promise I made to the people so many years ago, we have acheived the capability of spaceflight and it is perhaps fitting that my promise to my people could not have been kept were it not for the cooperation of the whole of the world in advancing Atlantean sciences.

From a political perspective the creation of the United Nations which is the manifestation of this new cooperation is to be completed next year. Also, I have embarked on another project that should abolish war for all time. The Manhattan Project, which will allow the creation of a super-weapon which the researchers say could destroy whole armies in the field and do untold damage to cities. Such a fearsome weapon should prevent war.

Privately I hope, this fearsome weapon in combination with the United Nations might preserve the peace and prevent the horrors of war more effectively than any Army.

1962 ad - I must make a confession, I did an abusive if not childish thing at the United Nations after the call for an election, which in honesty I did not truly want to hold. I had spies infiltrate the UN and steal the completed ballots, and let's just say I feel confident that I could call an election that I would be happy with.

From a scientific perspective, I keep the other civilizations just one or two inventions behind and they spend their efforts catching up and improving their civilizations. Even Babylon and Greece are partners in this new alliance. I have embarked on 2 other projects which are to eliminate suffering througout the land. The Cure for Cancer in Dioclesian, a scourge of our civilization as well the world, and Longevity is being developed in Byzantia. ride:

1983 ad - The completion of the Apollo Program and the recent completion of the Nuclear Reactors in those cities with access to rivers except Aurelius, which has just started their reactor, allows us to build the first modules in the greatest of projects, a Colony Ship. ride:

This Colony Ship will not reside in any particular city but will be launched to a nearby star system, this will ensure that should the prophets from previous millenia be correct in their assertions, they will be cheated in their prediction, should even it come to pass, that the world will end. For should the world end this colony ship would carry our sons and daughters onward to another world.

1992 ad - Time it appears is on our side, Our science progresses so that I can say by the millenium we will be prepared to launch our first colony ship.

2000 ad - The millenium is upon us - and yet the world has not yet ended.

2005 ad - On the christening of the colony ship, Roma, I am reminded of my first speech to the people "We are surrounded by the wilds of this great land and all the creatures and peoples in it are towards our end.
    Time and the will of our people, has made it so that the wilds of this great land are tamed and all the peoples in it and outside of it work towards our ends, and yet we are surrounded by the wilds of something greater, the wilds of space and we hope that some day, the brave colonists crossing the distances between stars like our first brave explorers the hills around our cities, will meet the creatures and perhaps even the peoples in it.

So ends this story of Atlantis.

Comment

Good stuff Joe, Ive enjoyed reading your account of this game. IMO its as credible as any other story here and very well written so Im off now to place a nomination for this in the next round of the stories contest.

Plrase write for us again as soon as you have time
      A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Thanks very much

I'm very grateful for the thanks.

Best Regards,

Joe08536

Comment

I read this while scarfing down soba noodles and wakame. It went well with them. Are you gonna make another story?
          Here is an interesting scenario to check out. The Vietnam war is cool.

Comment

Another Story

Probably, but not probably as long.

I'm gonna look over some of the other works and consider what I could do better in the future. The 1st person narrative doesn't seem to be as popular overall as an dialog based narrative but, it's suprising how many real stories read this way.

If you read Heroditus' Histories or some other ancient chronicles they are written more in the style I tried to write in.

Thanks very much for the commentary,

Regards,

Joe

Comment

When you say "Mousey Tounge" do you mean to say instead, "Mousey Tongue"?

Comment

Mao Zedong

Yes. Spelling was never my forte.

Comment

write some more matey
                  Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                  I am of the Horde.

Comment

Mao Zedong

Do you mean Mao Tse Tsung?
                    Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

ok I will bite too

good story
                      Long Live The Horde
                      Marshal of the Concordian Armed Forces
                      Membership Officer of the Axe Grinders Guild

Comment

Working...
                      X