X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Master Zen
    and my original post was:

methinks it's the "units are disappearing" bug
    Heh. You're a funny guy, MZ. A real funny guy.

Unless the RNG really ****ed us, that battle *had* to hurt ND/GoW too. The irritating part is that, due to the way PBEM works, we don't know how badly it hurt you guys... we can only count units and wager educated guesses.

That's one of the things that annoys me most about the PBEM format, actually.

-Arrian

p.s. At least we've finally had a fairly significant battle.
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
      The irritating part is that, due to the way PBEM works, we don't know how badly it hurt you guys... we can only count units and wager educated guesses.

That is something I agree with. A replay capability (or at least a log) for PBEM games is in the top 5 wishes of mine for a future civ3 patch/expansion pack. Not that I have too many hopes for it.
      "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
      --George Bernard Shaw
      A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
      --Woody Allen

Comment

• I'd love that.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

The irritating part is that, due to the way PBEM works, we don't know how badly it hurt you guys... we can only count units and wager educated guesses.

That's realistic though, especially for this time frame. You don't know how many troops the enemy has, all you see is the results and the info you've gleaning from scouting reports.

Personally, I like the educated guessing and not having 100% of the knowledge of the enemy.

Originally posted by Arrian
          p.s. At least we've finally had a fairly significant battle.
          Significant? There were less than 20 units on either side. That's less than a tenth of your forces in the immediate area, unless we've greatly underestimated your strength.

Comment

• Significant? There were less than 20 units on either side. That's less than a tenth of your forces in the immediate area, unless we've greatly underestimated your strength.
            Yes...we were guessing you have 200 units in the area.

Point is, it was a single battle, not the war. I don't consider anything significant till it drives Storm Chickens back into the sea.

As for the hidden nature of the combats, I could go either way on that. There is nothing preventing us from sharing that information, though, if both parties were to agree... That would be one fun chat. GS attacks and reports in a chat, passes to ND who attacks and reports, passes to GoW...ect. Cheering and trash talking could be fun in such a chat.
            One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
            You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

• Significant? There were less than 20 units on either side.
              We both know how many units GS lost in that battle (11 combat units, for the curious). I can figure out the minimum number of ND/GoW units necessary to kill them (11), and it is likely (again, unless the RNG ****ed us) that it took more than that, since our units were on a hill, fortified, with cat support. Given that, the total units (not counting the cats) involved in the battle were, at a minimum, 22, but probably 25 or more.

If you choose to call the battle insignificant, ok. But it meets my definition of a decent sized battle. We're on a standard map, the unit counts just aren't that high.

And while I'd agree that it's "realistic" not to know exactly what occurred in a battle, you *do* get that exact info in SP mode, so the lack of it here is annoying.

-Arrian

Comment

• Oooh... I kinda like the sharing of combat info idea. Dunno what the rest of the team would say, but I definitely like it!

-Arrian

Comment

• I agree with Arrian completely. I just hate to open a PBEM and suddenly see units gone and don't know how they were "goned". There should be a way for the game to record other player's actions and show them on your turn but I was told that would imply a pretty hefty re-code and wouldn't be practical.

So, we'll have to live with it

Anyway, I salute the fallen troops of GoW and ND who are now in paradise with 72 virgins, and also those of our brave rival who are now in paradise with 72... chickens? (don't know much about stormian religion).

(in other words good fight, war is getting interesting)
                  A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Oooh... I kinda like the sharing of combat info idea. Dunno what the rest of the team would say, but I definitely like it!

-Arrian
                    I dunno, perhaps sensitive info would not want to be revealed.

What I would REALLY love though is once the war is over that we get together and chat, not as GoW or GS but as Aggie, MZ, Arrian, nye, etc. and just talk about the whole war.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

I agree with Arrian completely. I just hate to open a PBEM and suddenly see units gone and don't know how they were "goned". There should be a way for the game to record other player's actions and show them on your turn but I was told that would imply a pretty hefty re-code and wouldn't be practical.

So, we'll have to live with it

Anyway, I salute the fallen troops of GoW and ND who are now in paradise with 72 virgins, and also those of our brave rival who are now in paradise with 72... chickens? (don't know much about stormian religion).

(in other words good fight, war is getting interesting)
                      Yeah, we will most likely just have to live with it.

I too salute the fallen soldiers of our enemies (though I know not how many have fallen).

As to our religion... I think our guys might get a big donut when the get to heaven. Maybe a BBQ'd chicken wing too. *shrugs*

I too, look forward to discussing this after it's over, like we did with the GS-Vox war. It's great to see the other side's train of thought.

-Arrian

Comment

It's great to see the other side's train of thought.

-Arrian
                        We don't have trains yet, thats still 2-3 tech researches away.................

Comment

• Shaddup, Wormtongue.

-Arrian

Comment

As to our religion... I think our guys might get a big donut when the get to heaven. Maybe a BBQ'd chicken wing too. *shrugs*

-Arrian
                            Well, our boys get to have bearded women virgins. Frankly, I'd take the BBQ myself

Comment

Well, our boys get to have bearded women virgins. Frankly, I'd take the BBQ myself
                              Your confused its Roleplay who gets bearded women virgins. Our boys have to settle for the local bearded women during our occupation of Roleplay towns. I don't think they will be finding any virgins though..............

Comment

• I would personally welcome sharing all info, but can see where some would object to such things. We would have to get 4 teams at present to agree to that, I don't see that happening, really.

I don't plan on calling it 'minor' in my story. Nor would I call it 'major'. It is the first real BATTLE, though.
                                One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                                You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Working...
                                X