This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by asleepathewheel
    Assuming that this isn't one of the things the new patch is fixing?
    That's possible, but Europe will still be 2 patches away, which basically means well over 4 months.

Comment

• This happened to me a while back, I started a modded game and it crashed around 1800. I thought it was due to the mod. I tried re-playing the game from various turns back and it always crashed at exactly the same point.
      A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

• Well, as far as I can tell from my programming and debugging experience... which is quite extensive, though... there are two possibilities:

1) the savegame is corrupted
        2) the savegame is fine, but the game is unable to handle something stored in it properly

Either way, what we need most is to find out what exactly triggers the crash - once we know that, it will be easy to fix that... through fixing the save - either to some "correct" state (if it is corrupted somehow) or to a state game will be able to handle properly (if it is the game to blame). Either way, we do not need a new patch.

Building a scenario would be too much of a time investment and I would resort to that only in case nye's Firaxis contact says he will not help. It should take someone having the sources and debugger not more than few hours to find out why the game crashes... if it is because of a save, he will then simply fix that part (should be easy), if it is the game, I hope it will be easy to take out that bit of the savegame that is causing the crash (like deleting an "offending" unit or whatever).

If Firaxis really spend their time and look for the bug, they will be able to fix it for us without a new patch, I am quite sure. If not...

I suspect it is an event associated with Lego or barbs - as the game crashes AFTER we hit the End Turn button and BEFORE any barbarians move (I can normally watch them move - and they don't even start moving, despite there being several of them visible).

P.S.: after writing this, I tried some really desperate things... like disbanding our workers, then abandoning all our cities, then getting rid of EVERYTHING (all cities but one and all units...) - the game still crashes...

EDIT: I have just tried to load the save made before hitting the End Turn button (actually letting the extra production load bug to mess with things). Still crashes.

Comment

• Well, if all else fails, I live about 10 minutes away from Firaxis' offices, so I can be out there day and night protesting until they fix our game! Anyone else within the greater Hunt Valley area with me!
          Last edited by ZargonX; May 5, 2003, 15:59.
          I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

• Originally posted by asleepathewheel

what about the islands that we haven't discovered, what are you going to do about that? there is a large amount of black space right now...
            Gramphos's editor can export the whole map into a scenario. No one would have to create the map, it is already done.

Trip: You could even uncover the 'fog-o-war' by placing "edited in"special units for each civ and have them uncover the map according to the latest intel that each Civ has at the time of the scenario's begining. You would have to create two units for each civ to do this, one land and one sea. Give them 200 movement points each and viola, map is uncovered for that Civ. You would have to play a turn for each each Civ to do this, just moving around the special units only. You'd then save the game and place it back in the editor and take out those 'special units' and then save it as a scenario again. Job finished.

Comment

• Wow, Gramphos' tool is starting to sound quite powerful.

If PtW:PBEM is basically flawed though - we could end up having to do this several times. We need a patch that works - worldwide at once, too!

Comment

• Gramphos' editor is much more powerful than the Firaxis one.

BF: good idea. I'll just have to make sure the teams aren't able to build more of those guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trip
                  Gramphos' editor is much more powerful than the Firaxis one.

BF: good idea. I'll just have to make sure the teams aren't able to build more of those guys.
                  hi ,

yes and no , if they would give him all the codes , ...

they really should hire him , ..... here is a guy who could fix both PTW and CIV III , ..... but he has not all what he should have , ......

Soren , Mike , .....

have a nice day
                  - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                  - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                  WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

• Either way, what we need most is to find out what exactly triggers the crash - once we know that, it will be easy to fix that... through fixing the save - either to some "correct" state (if it is corrupted somehow) or to a state game will be able to handle properly (if it is the game to blame). Either way, we do not need a new patch.

Building a scenario would be too much of a time investment and I would resort to that only in case nye's Firaxis contact says he will not help. It should take someone having the sources and debugger not more than few hours to find out why the game crashes... if it is because of a save, he will then simply fix that part (should be easy), if it is the game, I hope it will be easy to take out that bit of the savegame that is causing the crash (like deleting an "offending" unit or whatever).
                    I could try my hand at figuring it out. I'd prefer to stay in the game though, so was waiting to hear if Firaxis or Gramphos (Both of whom would be more qualified to do it than I) are going to do it.

I'd agree that there is probably a simpler solution than rebuilding a scenario. There is also the #2 on your list where a scenario might have the same problem anyways.

Comment

• Has anyone contacted Gramphos btw?
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• I thought he read this thread at least once a day.

You may consider him "contacted" now.

Comment

• Received response from Firaxis. They are very busy, but may be able to help. We should not wait up nights though. They are very busy (very) with a major show coming up soon and rumours of a major announcement at that show. I suspect they are already burning midnight oil getting ready.

In the meantime, Trip now has the admin password (I found it after ripping my desk apart) and can poke around quite a bit. Rumours are that some others (Gramphos) might be alerted. Good. If Conqueror is correct then maybe this can be resolved by us relatively quickly.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• I need a new save file.

I have one from 570 BC I've been testing, but when I play the GOW turn Vox declares war on me then crashes.

Comment

• 590 Lego to GS on the way...
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trip
                                I need a new save file.

I have one from 570 BC I've been testing, but when I play the GOW turn Vox declares war on me then crashes.

See, I think the main problem is with Vox. If we reset the game back a few turns and allow GS to take their cities, I think the problem would be gone. They are a menace, this is proof

Seriously, I hope this time it works...

Comment

Working...
                                X