International Waters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Waters.

Hi, how does this game treat international waters?
    Currently anyone can mass a huge navy on one side of the other, and he does not have to leave the waters by international regulations. Same applies to uncolonized wasteland...

Well do we need to make international rules for nomansland,
    or should we just have it the anachy/coldwar way?

( It's just a unofficial survey and discussion,
    so I set the timer on two weeks. )
    Yeah man, like those we have in RL perhaps.
    24.39%
    No way man, I love to sneak attack those pests!
    68.29%
    Astrain. Uh, I dunno understand whadda innterational relugation is
    7.32%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by ThePlagueRat; November 28, 2002, 20:11.
    My words are backed with hard coconuts.

Any international regulation would have to be written up by an international committee, ala League of Nations/United Nations, etc. Otherwise there really are no rules for this kind of thing. Besides, without a United Nations assembly, how would this kind of thing be enforced?
    Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
    Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

Hope we don't have to wait until someone builds the UN wonder. In, let's say... perhaps ten years in RL (!!!)

Ok, but that is a typical in-game thing.
      Sooner or later...
      A collection of statesmen, ambassadors, travellers and diplomats will meet eventually. ( perhaps early in the game)
      Then perhaps such a board is needed already?

Comment

It should be interesting to see whether the idea of UN would work in our game. Even if there was a international laws passed by a UN like system, if majority of teams simply choose to ignore it or make their own local rules between each civs, it will be useless.

If there is no standardized law, most likely teams will have to settle among themselves about unclaimed disputed land/sea. And that doesnt mean it cant be solved in peaceful diplomatic way just because there is no international law.
        :-p

Comment

The law should be game rules. Your civ border goes out into the sea/ocean. Those are not International waters. they are part of your country. Beyond that is international waters. Anyone can go there.
          Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by donegeal
            The law should be game rules. Your civ border goes out into the sea/ocean. Those are not International waters. they are part of your country. Beyond that is international waters. Anyone can go there.
            I agree, let's not make this game any more complicated than it already is.
            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Agree with donegeal, voted NO.
              "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
              --George Bernard Shaw
              A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
              --Woody Allen

Comment

Perhaps it will just evolve with experience instead then?

For example when someone are feeling the threat from
                30 foreign ships (perhaps w/land units aboard) right ouside their local waters. Then they will perhaps try to make an agreement with the other nations to get that threat away. So they all agree,
                and demand removal?
                In this way perhaps international laws will evolve as it did in RL.....

Comment

I agree with donegeal.

It just becomes a point of diplomacy during the game.

Mss
                  Remember.... pillage first then burn.

Comment

If we have national waters, then galleys would be useless, so I voted no.

Comment

Later, we can perhaps initiate an OSCB instead...
                      (Organization of Security and Cooperation on Bob)
                      Anyone that wishes can join the OCSB and make som great roleplay there, regardless of team membership...

It would make great international roleplay when conflicts arrives...
                      Just as in RL, where OSCE cannot actually force any nation to agreements, but merely does a lot of talking.

Comment

How, exactly, could this be enforced even if it were enacted? IT is the dawn of civilization itself and no tribe (to my knowledge) has contacted any other tribe.

International agreements on limiting ingame behavior regarding naval movements are territorial rights are several MILLENNIA off.
                        Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                        Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                        7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by realpolitic
                          If we have national waters, then galleys would be useless, so I voted no.
                          What exactly do you mean? How would they become useless?

Comment

Good replies folks,
                            I also agree it's not neccessary to discuss this yet.
                            If we one day (perhaps in 10 years RL-time) open up an OSCB-thread, then international waters might be an issue...
                            I was moving a bit too quick here. Sorry chaps!

Comment

I'm guessing he said that because galleys can only sail on coastal tiles, before the necessary techs are discovered.
                              "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
                              And the truth isn't what you want to see,
                              Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
                              - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Working...
                              X