No announcement yet.

Roleplay Team: Civ Choice Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMO, the civs that would be the most fun to role-play would be either Spain or especially the Vikings.

Ahh, the good ol' days of raiding and pillaging.

Comment

Vikings aren't all they're cracked up to be... I've played them...

As for Spain, haven't played them yet - I'm going to go try them tonight/tomorrow morning before we have our team chat tomorrow

In my opinion, ALL of the civs are role-playable... they all have histories and cultures and things of interest... Therefore, deciding on a civ to play will largely be a matter of practicality as much as role-play interest. Given this, the Vikings simply don't make it...
      Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
      Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
      7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Meh, I dunno about the Ottomans. All they are is 'internal strife-conquest-internal strife-conquest-internal strife-conquest-rinse-repeat'.

I'm just saying, the most fun civ to role-play would be the Vikings, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip
          I'm just saying, the most fun civ to role-play would be the Vikings, IMO.
          For you, that's almost certainly true

As for me... I don't care so much about whether we're warlike or peaceful... I just want the civ we play to be commercial (for role-play purposes - even if it sometimes isn't in our interests in game terms).

Thus, my list is:

Carthage
          Rome
          Greece
          Spain
          France
          India
          England

Comment

France would be another good pick. Whenever someone declares war, offer them cities off the bat.

Comment

...Only after you failed shortly to conquer the whole world
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Trip
                France would be another good pick. Whenever someone declares war, offer them cities off the bat.
                Oooo! Yeah! Pick France! Pick France!
                Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by donegeal

Oooo! Yeah! Pick France! Pick France!
                  Being an anglophile, there is no way in hell that I'm going to be ok with picking France

(ok, France isn't all that bad and indeed pretty damn good in game terms, but I certainly wouldn't want to role-play as the French... )

BTW, I just played a game as the Spanish... damn fun civ to play - I was honestly surprised (I hadn't been expecting it to be so much fun). Now, part of the fun was that the AI seemed oddly relaxed for a PTW single-player game (the PTW AI doesn't typically just sit there and wait for you to bonk their heads).

Even taking that into account, here's my assessment of the conquistadore:

- In terms of combat ability versus anything above spearmen, it sucks - royally...
                  - However, if you can find an AI civ (or a lazy human civ...) which hasn't upgraded all of his defensive units from spearmen, the conquistadore is EXTREMELY DEADLY. The reason is that you can easily penetrate his empire to those cities in the back with only spearmen on defense... you can even use conquistadores to mass-attack a city with a lone pike on defense and wipe it out (even if the city is behind the front lines). The conquistadore's main use, however, is to penetrate enemy territory and tear up improvements over critical resources and luxuries and capture stray workers and settlers (and then disband them to prevent re-capture).
                  - The biggest problem with the conquistadore is the prohibitive cost for its value... it's 70 shields, same cost as a knight : : :

In all, the best value of the conquistadore is its TIMING, allowing you to get a very well-timed golden age if you haven't already gotten your golden age from a wonder.

The Spanish traits are GREAT for my playstyle and I always did like India, which had the same traits (even with the near useless UU). Religious and Commercial is a really powerful combination... not to be underestimated.

CONCLUSION: Spain is basically India with a better-timed, yet still nearly useless, UU.

Comment

Based upon playing that game as Spain (so now I've played a single-player game of all of the new civs except the Mongols and Koreans)...

Here's my thoughts on civ choices:

1. Carthage
                    2. Greece
                    3. Spain
                    4. Rome
                    5. India

Comment

Glad to read you Arnelos. Your report comfort me in my choice of the Spanish civ.

I think, it'll be different from a game to another, but basically the Conquistadors are potentially very dangerous to the other civs. And triggering the GA with their first successful attack, will allow the spanish civ to build knights or cavaleries (if the tech is yet discovered) faster, so the military potential will be increased dramatically to allow later military victories during or after the GA.

On the other hand, the choice of Carthage is certainly good, but i think their GA will come too early. In addition, they will not have the religious ability of the Spanish civ. I think this ability will be very important in this game, since there will be mostly warmongers teams. With the spanish civ no long periods of anarchy. It'll be very important to keep the potential ability to build military units during the war times.
                      Hosting and playing the Civ4BtS APT
                      Ex-Organizador y jugador de Civ4BtS Progressive Games

Comment

Roleplay as the French:

Be a bunch of sissies, taunt King Arthur in his search for the Holy Grail , Be a bunch of sissies, have dudette who leads armies to victory, be a bunch of sissies, fail at colonizing new world, have bloody revolt, eat weird stuff, actually get a pretty good go at conquering large part of Europe, be a bunch of sissies, basically surrender to Germany in WWII, be a bunch of sissies.

Then again, being an American I guess that's my view of every nation in the world.
                        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Our Civilization!

Members of the Tribe,

We have officially chosen CARTHAGE as our Civilization. Should this civ be unavailable, we have chosen the Spanish as our backup Civ.

--Togas
                          Greatest Moments in ISDG chat:"(12/02/2003) <notyoueither> the moon is blue. hell is cold. quote me, but i agree with ET. "
                          Member of the Mercenary Team in the Civ 4 Team Democracy Game.
                          Former Consul for the Apolyton C3C Intersite Tournament Team.
                          Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

Comment

Oh well, I guess we'll have to train for a 3 players stone-paper-scissors
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Spiffor, it's not stone-paper-scissors, its stone-papyrus-flint.
                              (Wasn't flint sharp? I cant remember)
                              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Obsidian certainly was.

Comment

Working...
                                X