No announcement yet.

Roleplay Team: Civ Choice Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't find the Spanish UU will be useless at all.
    At war time, they can go deeply in the ennemies territories in one turn (6 tiles !) to pillage vital ressources. Since they will oblige the other civs to keep well defended cities against the Conquistador's raids, the attack potential of our ennemies will be smaller. I think having 8-10 Conquistadors always ready to act will be the terror of our ennemies, and they will think twice before declaring wars against us.
    Hosting and playing the Civ4BtS APT
    Ex-Organizador y jugador de Civ4BtS Progressive Games

Comment

Oh crap astrologix, that's good reasoning. I wish I read it before I voted--oh well.

I voted for Ottoman, Carthage, and OTHER

My OTHER vote is PERSIA! HOORAY PERSIA!
      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
        Oh crap astrologix, that's good reasoning. I wish I read it before I voted--oh well.
        I'm glad you didn't read it before voting because it is wrong. The conquistador only gets a movement of 2 (whereas calvary and other units get 3) and it will be subject to the same movement penalties that other units have when going through enemy territory (which bumps it down to just two moves inside other teams' borders per turn) and they will cost 70 a pop.
        "The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by ruby_maser

I'm glad you didn't read it before voting because it is wrong. The conquistador only gets a movement of 2 (whereas calvary and other units get 3) and it will be subject to the same movement penalties that other units have when going through enemy territory (which bumps it down to just two moves inside other teams' borders per turn) and they will cost 70 a pop.
          they treat all terrain as roads...
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

you think that is gonna count for anything in enemy territory?

I'm gonna amend that statement because I think some people are thinking that those two moves that the conquistador gets turn into 6 because everything is considered a road and a road allows only 1/3 of a movement point. I believe what it means is that if the conquistador hits rougher terrain (ie: a mountain) on the first of its 2 turns, it still gets its second turn because the mountain doesn't slow it down, not that 1 move = 3 moves or why shouldn't they have just keyed it as 6 (which is so fast as to be ridiculous in light of the fact that tanks don't even get that)?
            Last edited by ruby_maser; November 8, 2002, 14:42.
            "The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi

Comment

it meas every tile has a road on it for it. it moves 6 spaces over ALL terrain.
              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

He's right. Conquistadors are moving madmen.
                They do replace the Explorer after all.

Comment

But in enemy held territory, no roads benifit units. Therefor, it stands to reason that they will only move 2 squares in enemy territory, but 6 in friendly or neutral, regardless of terrain.

Correct me if I am wrong, as I have not played with them.
                  If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

well, I haven't played with them either, but I guess it was wrong of me to assume that Firaxis would be sensible enough to not have a unit with such a absurdly out-of-whack movement rate

Still, the issue that tipped this off was: can they benefit from that in enemy territory?

Comment

They treat all terrain as roads, even enemy territory. Sheesh, haven't you guys ever built explorers?
                      Last edited by ixnay; November 8, 2002, 17:35.

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay37
                        Sheesh
                        getting a little overdramatic there aren't you, Shakespeare. You can't prove sh*t to me with a tone like that.

Comment

Whoops, I forgot the smiley to show that I wasn't really all that serious.

Comment

now, that you mention it, so did I

Comment

Yeah, I think Uber is right--I messed up not reading the debate before voting
                              Oh well RL people every year around the globe (although most noticeable in the US) just vote for who's in their party, sometimes without even knowing any single issue (s)he talked about during the campaign. Besides, I know when all the members come to their senses Persia will win by a landslide.
                              ruby_maser: How could "sheesh" be serious and overdramatic?
                              Back to the point, I just remembered my spelling of it! Spam! Another good reason to pick Spam, so i can start the Spam News, or the Spam Gazette. Spam Enquirer, Spam Sun, The Weekly Spam...
                              Oh well I'll probably stumble across misspellings for all the civs. (It's how I found Spam--I just was typing and the s-p-a-m just rolled off my fingertips!)
                              Last edited by mrmitchell; November 8, 2002, 18:35.
                              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell ruby_maser: How could "sheesh" be serious and overdramatic?
                                maybe it wasn't as dramatic as if like this SHEESH!!!!!!!

Better?

[edit] ...but we are the roleplay team how can one be sure?
                                Last edited by ruby_maser; November 8, 2002, 18:27.

Comment

Working...
                                X