PTW on LAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTW on LAN

I have a friend that wants me to set up a LAN game for 4 people with some computer AI's in Novemeber. Is this feasible? What would be the minimum amount of time we could finish the game in?

I guess it would depend on which mode you were playing.

I've never played around with the 'turnless', which I assume is what you are looking at or you could just use one comp and 'hotseat' mode.

Don't know how fast Turnless goes.

Accelerated production will spead games if it's an issue as well.

I would guess at least 8 hours for a small map if you are doing turns, but it all depends on how quick people get those turns in too, and how much micro goes on.
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Haven't you got lost between the forums?

Civ3-Multiplaying forum

Nevertheless, if I knew the answer I'd have helped. But I don't. (hence the suggestion; in the multiplayer forum there might be more people who know how to set up a LAN game).
      "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
      --George Bernard Shaw
      A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
      --Woody Allen

Comment

I was under the impression that PTW was the supported multiplayer version of Civ 3 and that regular Civ 3 was totally unworkable for multiplayer. If this is wrong please let me know. I only have Civ 3 right now.

Comment

You are correct Grond. In order to play a Multiplayer LAN game you will need PTW.

Other than my PBEM games, the only other verion that I play is Multiplayer LAN with my partner...of course, I will play a few hours of single-play PTW every now and then.

Comment

Well, you are on the money. You want PtW.

The most fun, practical, and civ like mp game is Simultaneous. You are all moving at once, and as each player finishes they idle while they wait for the others to finish. Once all are finished, the turn changes and you all start moving again. It is most effecient, and allows for some gaming to get done while neither wasting everyone's time waiting for each player to finish in turn, nor experiencing the frustration of Turnless where turns can go by before you have done everything that needs to be done in a turn.

Personally, I refuse to play turnless. If I wanted a click fest I would play an RTS.

Simultaneous can be a whole lot of fun though. Everyone gets a chance to do what needs doing, and a minimum of everyone's time is wasted waiting for others.

Set up your game on a small pang. and you could have a finished game, or at least a lot of ancient civ fun in 4 hours.

A long game of simultaneous can go 30 hours. That was with continents, 3 humans with 5 AIs, and not a lot of aggression between humans until the end (with nukes).

Oh, you can set a timer so that each turn lasts a maximum amount of time. I find the timer a pain. Some turns simply require more time than others. My favorite is no timer, simultaneous.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Though, if you don't have PTW yet, you may just want to wait the few extra weeks until Conquests comes out. It will have all the multi-player functions and content PTW, plus a lot more!
              I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

But, Grond, this isn't the PTW forum. This is a democracy game forum. The PTW forum was merged with the general forum, and the multiplayer stuff was all shunted into the multiplayer forums - which would be the best place to ask since people who know how to get around technical problems will probably be reading there.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll wait and hope Conquests comes out on time although that will be cutting it close. Apparently LAN games aren't working that well with ore than 2 players. We will probably have to use the time limit since time will be at a premium. Hopefully the improved networking code in Conquests will be much improved.

Comment

I've played PTW on a LAN... it's actually not so bad if you have the patches. If you do it w/o the patches, it's terribly laggy (for no easily explanable reason). Even with the patches, it feels a bit laggy, but it's decent and it's still Civ.

I've had a good bit of fun with LAN games of PTW about a year ago when I played those
                    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

I just play PTW on lan

I play it with 3 of my roomates

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                      X