Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Trappings of War: Volume XXVII (the slaughter of Bilbao)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Trappings of War: Volume XXVII (the slaughter of Bilbao)

An UnOrthOdOx View of the Glory of War

As the sun rose from out over the horizon, I peered down into the valley below. There in the distance lay two towns flying the colors of Spain. My blood began to race, and we charged across the open plains and deep into the heart of the Jungle that awaited us on the other side.

The Jungle mired our progress as our horses struggled to navigate through the accursed vines and trees that obscured our sight and blocked our path. To make matters worse, Ravens began returning from their patrols with signs of a large contingent of Spanish soldiers apparently setting up an ambush in the mountains ahead.

While Toledo appeared to be heavily defended, there was no way that this defense could be extended to the small port of Bilbao. Not given the speed of our riders. As such, I decided our best course would be to attack Bilbao and then swing at Toledo from the East.

However, upon leaving the Jungle and looking over the town of Bilbao, to my shock, it now flew the colors of Gathering Storm. Had they learned of the death of sEctArIAn as well? Were they here to assist? If so, why were there no troops stationed in the town?

“Well?” I asked Eira.

“I think we should slaughter the town now. Gathering Storm has no business here and has sent no word of their intentions.”

At this Ghengis began to salivate profusely, a disturbing look creeping into the eyes of every man in his unit.

“No….no…I have no quarrels with them. We will bypass the defenses of Toledo, heading down the mountains and into the soft underbelly of Spain. Let’s see if their Core is defended as heavily as these meaningless border towns.”

Ghengis shot me a menacing glance, obviously displeased with such a decision, and we took to the jungle once again. And once again to my great surprise, Toledo suddenly was flying the colors of Gathering Storm as well. What was going on?

As we approached the mountain pass that led between Toledo and Bilbao, a single man stood there and beckoned for my consultation.

“I am afraid that I am here to inform you that the honorable notyoueither has stated that this land is now under the protection of Gathering Storm. As such, you and your men will not be allowed to pass through here.”

A burst of anger swelled up inside me. Gathering Storm had shown me nothing but respect, yet now they sought to halt my quest for vengence? “Look. I don’t really care about the cities that you now hold. But, blocking my progress now, I can see as nothing less than an act of war. It would appear to be in your best interest as well, since it seems Spain will surrender any city I threaten to you no matter how well it is defended.”

“We do not wish to advantage one side or the other in this conflict. As such I’m afraid that I cannot allow you to…”

He never finish the sentence as my flail caught him square on the side of the head, instantly crushing the side of his face. I watched as the body lay on the ground, blood pouring out over the hardened clay on the mountainside, the lifeless twitching of the limbs as they fought for life.

I turned back to the battalion to see Eira’s face full of shock, and Ghengis’ full of delight. “Eira.”

“Yes, UnO?” He stated, still staring at the lifeless body on the ground.

“I want you to take the battalion up ahead through this pass, I will catch up to you later. Ghengis, I am in need of your expertise, follow me.”

I knew that what I was about to do would be seen as outrageous. I no longer cared for my heart cried out for blood.

We rode down and swept into the unsuspecting village with the force of a hurricane. Few of the peasants attempted to grab their farming tools and fight back, but it was a laughable attempt at best, and soon there was nothing left of any form of resistance as the remaining citizens were gathered into the town square. A single elderly man stepped forward, dressed in an eloquent gown of silk.

“In the name of the Lord, I ask that you show mercy upon us and allow us to live in peace and under the protection of the Christ.”

A Priest. I had met with many a priest as they came northward preaching their religion of peace and love. Of sin and forgiveness. Of the mercy of Christ. All the while they would hold out their hand, expecting you to buy your way to forgiveness and heaven. Those who could not pay, who could not give to this ‘religion’ were cast aside in a plain contrast of the teachings the priests themselves made. It sickened me.

“You do not wish to add our heads to the list of your sins. Sins, I add, that can already only be forgiven through great sacrifice.”

I simply nodded to Ghengis and watched in pleasure as he leapt from his mount, a crazed look ablaze in his eyes and buried a dagger deep into the chest of this priest. Screams of agony soon died out as the pain must have finally overcome the priest and soon, Ghengis sat up proudly displaying the mans heart before gulping it down in an instant.

This sight caused many in the crowd to scream in fear. And many in the unit to salivate beyond their control. “Listen up. I want to know the whereabouts of one MrWhereItsAt. Give me this information, and I will consider allowing you to live. Withhold it, and I will ensure you are all alive to witness as my men feast upon your own flesh. Ghengis, their all yours.”

“Women?” Ghengis muttered.

“Do as you will, just be sure they are all dead and I have my information when you’re done.”

“Children?”

“Make them watch for all I care as long as they are dead.”

“Town?”

“Burn it to the ground. I want nothing left, understood?”

He grinned back at me with his blood stained teeth showing, and turned to his men, giving an incomprehensible order that made them all pounce at once and the Spanish scream a scream that only those faced with certain death can make.

It was not long before Ghengis brought me a small boy, crying and frightened.

“Please, Sir. I know where MrWhereItsAt is. My father told me that he had went to Pamplona, that Lord Togas was about to promote him for his actions.”

I motioned for Ghengis to leave. And he did so, albeit reluctantly

“I see. And, what would your name be, young man?”

“Iago Bandido, Sir.” His voice quivering in fear.

“You wouldn’t be the son of Blanco Bandido, would you?”

He nodded.

I knew Blanco Bandido by reputation only, but by all accounts he was an honorable and good man. “Very well. I want you to take a message to your father, is he in Pamplona as well?”

Another nod.

“Good. You think you can make it there on your own?”

Another nod.

“Excellent, fine boy! I will give you a small pony, and rations for the journey. I want you to tell him what you saw here today. I want you to tell him that I am here for MrWhereItsAt, and if he is not brought before me, the same will befall the rest of Spain. Understand?”

Another nod, and a horrified look in his eyes.

“Good, I will wait for three days, then begin my assault again. Now hurry along.”

I watched as he mounted the pony and raced off into the distance, then turned and looked back upon Bilbao. The last of Ghengis’ men were making their way up the hill, some carrying large bits of flesh obviously storing it away for a later meal. Back dropped against a pile of lifeless corpses burning amidst the center of the conflagration that once was Bilbao, it made for a grisly sight. And, yet, as I watched, I could only wonder if Neu Demogyptica was fairing well far to the west.
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

DISCLAIMER: This is a work of fiction and should in no way be taken as the actual attitudes of the people on our team and our postions on attacks.

Grumble....grumble.... I was the ONLY one who didn't want to attack Bilbao or Toledo and wanted to run straight to the southern coastal cities...... grumble.....grumble........

And CrazyGhengis wouldn't have stabbed the Priest with a dagger, he would have bitten off his head..........
    sheesh, writers!

Comment

Yep. Writters.

I figure by the end I will have displeased everyone anyway. Unless, of course, someone kills me off IN GAME....
      One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
      You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
        Yep. Writters.

I figure by the end I will have displeased everyone anyway. Unless, of course, someone kills me off IN GAME....
        I expected you to come back with the obligatory;

"Sheesh! Critics!"

Comment

Everything I write eventually pisses someone off.

The Jungle Gazette pissed off the Hawk Party because I didn't make it into a propoganda machine, The ISDG paper that never got going pissed some off for valid security reasons, The Herald received complaints because it didn't move quick enough, and this has apparantly pissed off the majority of the RP team, though there are a few who can see it is all in fun, at least. And Special thanks to MrWIA, GK, and WhiteBandit for being such good sports about it.

hmm...all Term III members there...go figure.

As far as characters. Yeah, I know not everyone will be protrayed perfectly, or how they want. I can't explain it. I have an outline down of who was going to be what, but when I start writting, things just kinda flow on their own and usually end up totally opposite of where the outline started.
          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Don't worry. The way we figure it, you will be begging for mercy soon.
            If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

I think the Tabejin times has been a big, non-controversal success, UnO Though who knows, maybe you'll piss off some vegans with it somewhere along the line
              I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
                ...and this has apparantly pissed off the majority of the RP team, though there are a few who can see it is all in fun, at least.
                See there you go, no one of note is pissed off about the Trappings.

Originally posted by GodKing
                Don't worry. The way we figure it, you will be begging for mercy soon.
                Considering the way your team "figures" the deals in it treaties we have nothing to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by ZargonX
                  I think the Tabejin times has been a big, non-controversal success, UnO Though who knows, maybe you'll piss off some vegans with it somewhere along the line
                  Sure, that's how they all start.

Just wait until the first article on how best to serve Chilled Monkey Brains, then you'll see controversy.
                  You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

What is the Tabejin times junk you keep talking about anyway?

Comment

Tremendous, Un0.
                      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

:yawn:

Comment

I wonder how Chinese cries of fear sound...

And I wonder how their villages look like if burned...

I wonder how the Moors speak when their tonges have been pulled out of their mouths as a reward for making these times "exciting".

I wait for the moment that Catholics of Bob and Estonia invade their mosques and pull down that pagan moon symbol.

No, really, I don't feel offended or pissed off, I like to read these stories very much, even if they are about Spain's destruction.

You get a big from me UnO.

Keep writing

Aidun
                          "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
                          Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG

Comment

Keep writing.
                            Playing Civ 4

Comment

Working...
                            X