Beginnings....an address to the United Nations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginnings....an address to the United Nations

Greetings again, all those in attendance.

Yes...I am well aware that there is no "United Nations" per se....that noble idea died, I fear, due to petty infighting among the nations and teams.

Nonethess, I would somewhat boldly put forth the notion that although the United Nations as an empowered organization within our current framework does not exist per se, it exists in some form or fashion, and perhaps by addressing this missive to that very body, it will lend it all the more credence and perhaps power.

A thing exists or not based on the will of those involved. Legislation may give it legitimacy, but it certainly does not define its overall existence, and so I would say that, whether or not the UN proposal died, the United Nations itself exists...here...now....with and in all of us.

And to that group, I would say this: First, a humble and heartfelt thank you for the letter drafted to the Stormians, mentioning me in particular.

That was a rare, and treasured gift, and it played a major role in my speaking here this evening.

Timing.

The essence of all things is in the timing. The most brilliant plan, executed at the inappropriate time, is surely doomed to fail.

This is hardly more than stating the obvious, and yet, it has particular bearing here, I feel, and you should know....you very likely DO know, that my timing is badly off its mark.

In short, I must publically confess that I have failed my fellow Stormians, and it saddens me.

I have failed them by not being here. By not extending my advisor's position more into the public eye, which it seems, even from the mouths of our current enemies, has been sorely needed for some time now.

And because of my failing, a great many opportunities to present our case to the world body have simply and irrevocably been lost.

There is no recovering those lost chances....and no way for me to make that up to my brothers, and for that, I am extremely saddened and sorry.

I do not like to let people down, especially not when I have been given a position, not of title, but of trust, and that is the very thing I have done.

Nonetheless, the hands of time roll on, and there is yet time....future opportunities in which it may be possible to make amends, and to put those failings to right.

I truly hope so, and that is, in fact, one of the reasons I am committed to continuing these dialogues here (as well as continuing my work behind the scenes as one of Stormia's advisors), because there is a need for it.

It is difficult, challenging, and infinitely interesting. Fast-paced and as ever-shifting as the sands of the deserts of our homeland, and yet....this feels right. If it did not, I would simply accept your earlier praise and go quietly, retiring back to my chambers in Stormia, and only making my opinions known when my brothers asked it of me.

But there is more to it than that....much more, because in order that our causes be fully understood, they need a public face, and until and unless the day arrives when my brothers simply recall me from this place, I pledge an extension of my service to them in this capacity as well, and by virtue of that, I pledge my service to all of you who make up the United Nations.

For obvious reasons, regarding matters of state, there are certain things which may not....must not be revealed, but I make you a promise in the here and now that if you have questions regarding any Stormian action, past, present, or future, if you bring those questions and concerns to me, I will endeavour to answer them to the best of my ability, with the aforementioned understanding in mind.

I cannot undo the past.

There is no magic here.

No sorcery or wizardry, and admittedly, I have returned late, and in a moment of crisis.

There is, at this point, little to be done to undo the conditions which brought us to the point of crisis, but in the here and now, I can and will do everything in my power to see that a satisfactory conclusion to these dark days is reached, and that afterwards, a lasting peace can be found.

To those who seek peace in their heart of hearts, know that my door is always open. You are free to contact me privately or here, in the public eye.

For those who are commited to fighting to the bitter end for whatever failed cause they believe in, be assured that I will use every bit of my influence to speed you on the way to your demise.

I desire peace for my people. Lasting, enduring peace, but I will not shy away from destruction for those who will not listen to the voice of reason, nor will I lose the least bit's sleep over your inevitable passing....I only hope that reason and temperence will prove stronger than a mindless desire for blood. Vengeance begetting vengeance will do no one the least bit of good. Lasting peace, however, will.

And so, esteemed members of these United Nations, won't you join with me now, in a solemn and sincere wish for peace, and the hope that the current terrible war that is a blight on the hope for a lasting peace, comes to a close soon. That reason prevails over hate. That the pen truly is mightier than the sword.

Let this then, mark our beginning.

Peace to you all, and good night.

-=Velociryx=-
    Wayward son of Stormia
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

I move that Velociryx be required to hire an assistant who posts immediately after Velociryx a condensed version of the post.

I find his posts somewhat daunting in appearance and tend to skip them at times.

Comment

I second the motion, and would nominate you, Ghengis Farb, but then you would have to read the posts!

-=Vel=-
      The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx
        I second the motion, and would nominate you, Ghengis Farb, but then you would have to read the posts!

-=Vel=-
        /me goes to his network with the concept of a CondenseOmeter for the next season of the GhengisReport.

/me jots down an idea for a female coanchor for the GhengisReport...............

Comment

Yes...I am well aware that there is no "United Nations" per se....that noble idea died, I fear, due to petty infighting among the nations and teams.
          You hear that? Noble! A noble idea! Killed by other nations! Why did you let it die!?! Damn you all to the plastic-melting fires of Lego hell!!!

/me drinks heavily and lapses in a U.N. backed stupor...
          I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

For the benefit of those who can even conceive of such a Heavenly notion as peace:

Velociryx's words are strange, but I see in them, and in him, rare compassion in these troubled times. I know not of the duties he speaks of nor the past mistakes, but it is clear he wishes to apologise for Gathering Storm's transgressions, where they have transgressed, and to offer explanations to those ignorant of their course of strategy. He hopes that in doing so peace will be reached for him and his team.

Bless you, Lord Velociryx, and my heart surges in my chest to hear such a sentiment! O, if only the enemies of both our nations, Spain and your own lands, were human enough to comprehend! I wish you well in your task, Velociryx, but do not be surprised when it fails, as the forces of the unGodly were sent to test the Good - you and I. There can be little reasoning with a foe used to the Fire, nor with their servants from the murky black parts of the Lord's less savoury sections of Creation.
            Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Peace you speak of?

GoW and ND want peace as well. Peace will reign if two things happen.
              1. RP is utterly defeated and King Togas's head rests in a sealed case in Imperial City.

2. GS holds no land on Bob.

3. Everyone must abondon this "Christianity" thing and worship me.

Okay, Okay... that's three things. But who's counting?
              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

1. RP is utterly defeated and King Togas's head rests in a sealed case in Imperial City.

2. GS holds no land on Bob.

3. Everyone must abondon this "Christianity" thing and worship me.
                We would never consider surrender unless you converted to christianity!

Comment

Originally posted by civman2000

We would never consider surrender unless you converted to christianity!
                  how about if several factions in GoW did?

like the blockheads and all members of the province of Isolationia? ( )
                  Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
                  King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
                  ---------
                  May God Bless.

Comment

Working...
                  X