Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick question on the savegame mechanics...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question on the savegame mechanics...

One inherent problem with Civ III SP has been the ability to reload a .sav if the battles don't turn out as expected.

So since I've never joined a PBEM or the PtWDemo game, I was wondering what keeps teams from being able to do this on their turn? Is there some game mechanic that makes it impossible to do or do you guys have to rely on the honor system?

Just curious.
    badams

I don't think anything PREVENTS it, but I think we are also all grown up enough to accept our mistakes...

At least I hope so.
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Re: Quick question on the savegame mechanics...

Originally posted by badams52
      One inherent problem with Civ III SP has been the ability to reload a .sav if the battles don't turn out as expected.

So since I've never joined a PBEM or the PtWDemo game, I was wondering what keeps teams from being able to do this on their turn? Is there some game mechanic that makes it impossible to do or do you guys have to rely on the honor system?

Just curious.
      hi ,

well if you take a look at all the work and fixes that have been done in the patches , ......

but as long as there shall be fixes there shall be people who want to cheat , .....

but since the truth comes out in most cases , ......

have a nice day
      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

In fact, I know of one instance inside GoW where this was a remote issue.

A member opened the sav, moved a unit, and posted a pic. We unanimously decided that this immediately had to become the official move IN-GAME as well despite any other plans we may have had for the unit in question. Since then, no other problems in GoW have come up.
        One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
        You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
          In fact, I know of one instance inside GoW where this was a remote issue.

A member opened the sav, moved a unit, and posted a pic. We unanimously decided that this immediately had to become the official move IN-GAME as well despite any other plans we may have had for the unit in question. Since then, no other problems in GoW have come up.
          Yup - happened to us as well. In a different sort of way.

Regarding the combat thing - hmmm - could have used that at Arashi ..... (so - its been awhile - how many Pikes were in there anyway? Did we stand a chance of taking it? I sense we were very lucky with the RNG towards the end when we attacked Inchon - and almost took it. If that experience had happened earlier we may have been somewhat more daring with our attacks. )
          Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

At best (from the POV of Vox) you had a less than 5% chance of taking Arashi. At worst, on most turns you had a 0% chance of taking it with the initial round of combats. This is IIRC. There may have been a turn where you had better odds, Nathan would know.

Yes, we all rely on each other to play the game in the spirit of fairness. No reloads to avoid unfortunate results.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
              At best (from the POV of Vox) you had a less than 5% chance of taking Arashi. At worst, on most turns you had a 0% chance of taking it with the initial round of combats. This is IIRC.
              and Should have turned to diplomacy much, much, much, much, much earlier.

Another 'should have.'

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

As long as we're talking should haves, I'm surprise that you sat on Immortals so long. Allowing the discovery of Feudalism even before attacking, nullifying the advantage...

A landing on bob earlier or an attack on GS earlier would have likely had a far better effect. Even with fewer numbers.

This is just my opinion, and intended as Constructive critisism (I know that's spelled wrong...)
                You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
                  As long as we're talking should haves, I'm surprise that you sat on Immortals so long. Allowing the discovery of Feudalism even before attacking, nullifying the advantage...

A landing on bob earlier or an attack on GS earlier would have likely had a far better effect. Even with fewer numbers.

This is just my opinion, and intended as Constructive critisism (I know that's spelled wrong...)
                  Yup, UnO. I can't disagree.

Comment

Others have said this before, but the most amazing "should have" is that Vox didn't at least get into Monarchy before triggering their GA.

Comment

Ah, so it's the honor system.

/me makes a mental note to never join a PBEM game with friends who like to cheat.
                      badams

Comment

Originally posted by dejon
                        Others have said this before, but the most amazing "should have" is that Vox didn't at least get into Monarchy before triggering their GA.
                        With the size of our army, most of our cities small and close to the capital, the difference between the governments was very small and Depostism actually won out. I setup a scenario and tested our situation for each of the governments, including during a GA, to find out.

Comment

Yah - so there!

(what is the other smiley that sticks out his tongue?)

Thanks Witt!

Yah - so there.
                          Last edited by Beta; August 8, 2003, 22:44.

Comment

( : p )
                            "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                            "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Working...
                            X