Happy Birthday PTWDG!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday PTWDG!

The 24th of this month, if I'm not mistaken, would mark the end of the first year of the Apolyton PTW Team Democracy Game.
    Makes you think, doesn't it?
    "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
    And the truth isn't what you want to see,
    Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
    - Phantom of the Opera

It's an experience, not a destination...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
      It's an experience, not a destination...
      IIRC, the game started Dec. 1, 2002. Do you mean the start of discussions about it, perhaps?

Comment

Okay, I was definitely wrong (looking at the topped rules thread and the dates of the posts).
        Now this is interesting... I remember pressing 'join' for the GS civgroup and being accepted in a little over two days, just a few hours before the game got started. In the GS civgroup page it says that I have joined in the 22nd of July, 2002. Were there even civgroups back then?
        - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Okay, something is definitely wrong in here. My join date (as shown in the Gathering Storm civgroup page) is earlier than NYE's, and he's the founder of the team.
          Can anybody else access the GS team roster and verify this?

Sorry for having jumped this up and claiming that it'll be a year in a few days, I just didn't expect this phenomenal bug...
          - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

This forum was created by MarkG on October 31, 2002, so it will be a year in about 3 months or less since the initial talk about this idea likely predated this forum's creation.

Hard to believe though that the game is over 7 months old already. I was flipping through the earliest threads in the forum and is amusing and nostalgic to see them again all these months later - amazing to see how organized and structured we are compared to back then (but then being part of the "builder team" I like seeing structure and organization )

Sure glad we didn't go with only 4 teams though, wonder how many of them would have been left now...

Comment

I can't view the GS authorisation list to verify if this is an error or not. Of course, it is correct that the game itself began on December 1st last year and the forum had been around for about a month before that.

FYI: the member list for Cake or Death is displaying the correct join date.
              If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Shiber - what have you been putting in your dog food?
                Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Beta
                  Shiber - what have you been putting in your dog food?
                  Hate to say it to my fellow Voxian but....monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by Rhothaerill

Hate to say it to my fellow Voxian but....monkeys!
                    GOD DAMMIT RHOTHAERILL!!
                    I was gonna say 'Monkey brains.' but you stole my joke! DAMN YOU! DIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!

- Phantom of the Opera

Comment

When did all the new smilies show up?

Yeah, we've been at this for a while now... Kon shot me a PM asking about what I used to call "the Egyptian Mess" in the Strat forum... that was maybe Feb 2002?

Oh... I figure Shiber must have eaten some weird GoW food... dragon, maybe?
                      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiber
                        GOD DAMMIT RHOTHAERILL!!
                        I was gonna say 'Monkey brains.' but you stole my joke! DAMN YOU! DIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!

Sorry Shiber. Couldn't resist that one.

Comment

Theseus: they're not new 'Poly smilies, they're smilies from Master Zen's forums.

Okay, here's the solution to the problem: the team roster pages display the date that the user has joined Apolyton (registered his account), not the date of his joining the civgroup. I didn't check at first because I didn't expect this... it's the friggin team roster, damnit, if there's a "Join Date" column it should be the date of joining the team, no?
                          Anyway, here's another interesting bit: Alexman and Ixnay, and probably others, have the join date of 1.1.1970 (the first date in Unix-clone systems' calendars; AFAIK the time and date are stored as the number of seconds elapsed from that date). Ixnay is staff (stories mod IIRC), so this could be a perk reserved for staff members, but I had no idea that Alexman is/was staff.
                          - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Originally posted by Shiber
                            Anyway, here's another interesting bit: Alexman and Ixnay, and probably others, have the join date of 1.1.1970 (the first date in Unix-clone systems' calendars; AFAIK the time and date are stored as the number of seconds elapsed from that date). Ixnay is staff (stories mod IIRC), so this could be a perk reserved for staff members, but I had no idea that Alexman is/was staff.
                            A lot of people have a join date of 1/1/1970: they're people who registered on Apolyton in the first 2 or 3 months is was up (sometime in 1998 I think).
                            Something happened (a change to the forum software perhaps?) to reset all their join dates to 1970. It's not a staff thing.
                            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Oh, cool. That's good to know, thanks.
                              - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Working...
                              X