Peace Limerick Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Envelope Please...

Judging has been completed by an impartial, 3rd part observer - ie a certain Ms. Beta. If any of you have issues with her decisions, take it up with her.

And the winners are:

Sixth place prize - A copy of the Hitchhikers Guide to Gather Storm, signed, yes signed, by Vulture himself.

The prize goes to.....nbarclay! Who can now get away from his spreadsheets and stretch his legs a bit!

Vox had a plan ever so grand
    But the forces of Storm made their stand
    Vox's troops did their best
    But in peace they do rest
    And today peace is now close at hand
    Fifth place prize is a numbered print, entitled "Grog's Mountain", depicting the legendary battle between Eli and Grog. In the background, highlighted by the sun's rays, is a cloud which, for some unknown reason, is shaped like a tank.

The prize goes to.......Shiber! Congrats! Trust it will look good on your wall.

There once was a Voxian commander
    Who wanted to strike like the thunder
    But he decided too soon
    He did not attack Monsoon
    And now he's to blame for the blunder
    Fourth place prize is a signed and authenticated copy of the complete Gathering Storm Private Forum peace debate. Special 'out take' commentaries by nbarclay, Theseus, and Arrian are included.

(now - this is the prize I dearly wanted....)

And the prize goes to..... (damn accountants from Price Waterhouse...) ... Frustrated Poet - fittingly enough...

There once was a man known as Miller
    Who's people were keen for a thriller.
    They went weak at the knees
    Now they'll take to the seas,
    And keep a firm hand on the tiller.
    Third place prize is as many authentic Voxian Immortal scimitars as you can carry.

And the prize goes to...... UnOrthOdOx! Who can use all those curved swords for his riders (please see the latest Trappings of War.)

Immortals once gave the Storm fear
    when beneath Grog they did first appear
    But the winds did soon change
    War Chariots came within range
    and now they both sat down for beer.
    (and special mention for his inspirational, non-limerick compositions.)

Second place prize is one lightly used catapult of recent vintage.

And the prize goes to.... Darekill and Vulture for their joint foreign language effort.

Please note that after this contribution, next year's awards will have a foreign lanquage category.

Das kleine Heer von Vox ist nach Süden gegangen,
    hat einen Krieg dort angefangen.
    Sie sind gestiefelt
    Ueber Berg und Feld wohl bestellt,
    und wurden getötet durch Huehner und Bananen.

Translation without the rhyme:

The little Army from vox did walk south,
    begann a war then and there
    they stalked
    over mountain and field well prepared
    got killed by chicken and bananas!

The judges have awarded a honorary prize for best amateur translation of a foreign language limerick - to yours truly for this effort:

The small guys(hey watch it) from Vox charged south
    And had a war .....(angefangen?) (we used our teeth in anger?) (or was that the chickens? Do chickens have teeth?)
    They had ...(gestiefelt?) (felt up the guests?)
    Over Mountain and Cowfield
    After going toe-to toe with two guys from Gathering Storm we have never heard of before - Huehner and Schlangen.
    And now - the moment you have all been waiting for.....

The grand prize is an all-expenses paid trip for two to your choice of North Estonia's most beautiful resort towns - either Harry's Hideout, or Beta-by-the-Sea.

Said prize to be used very quickly after the winner is announced. (in fact - you will really need to hustle, and please don't be disturbed by the large number of people leaving town when you arrive)

And the first place prize goes to .......Aidun!!!!! (cheering! Hurrah Hurrah!).

A splendid effort! The judges felt what was lacking in tempo in some of the verses was more than made up for by the overall effort, historical content, and heartfelt ending message.

The Lesson of the Estonian War

One day, a nation named The Voice
    faced a terribly difficult choice:
    No more land to settle
    and they prepared for battle
    south they marched with their boys

The Stormians saw the armies coming
    So soon they had stopped their humming
    Instead some were cought by fear
    others became mad like a steer
    Vox's plans were to them a bit stunning.

All hopes they literally put in Arashi
    But they feared Vox would soon crash it
    Such did never happen though
    because Vox lacked scouts so
    and they decided not to dash it

The Storm saw its second chance
    They madly produced new arms
    and managed to stop the Voice
    by throwing rocks at Vox's brave boys
    and arrows to stop them at once

More troops were demanded by the war
    The first armies existed no more
    City defences were reduced
    too few swords were produced
    And suddenly the enemy stood on the shore

Diplomatically the war then began
    Peace treaties were proposed now and then
    But lack of trust from both nations
    made the players lose their patience
    And the world demanded peace between them

Now the peace treaty is there:
    Vox has agreed, they will settle elsewhere
    The Storm shall have an island for its own
    To let their civilization properly grow
    And no war will ever be there

The future will tell us what is to come
    Will it be war or cooperation?
    Will we maintain with each other a good relation?
    We can only play if we keep having fun
    And the game will, by all of you, be won

Aidun
    Thanks one and all for contributing to this contest, and congratulations to the winners!!!

The awards dinner follows shortly. Please proceed to your stretch chariots which will take you there. Don't be frightened by the paparazzi outside - there have been hundreds of them here ever since Gathering Storm showed up with their charioteers. Also - please don't be alarmed if Joan Rivers tracks you down for an interview...

And remember - unless you are from Gathering Storm - you need to be out of town by Monday at 10am. All special event visas will become invalid at that time. The last galley leaves Wittlich City on Sunday at 2pm. Be there. (or be square...)

...Beta.
    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Thank you , thank you

Aidun
      "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
      Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG

Comment

Thank you.
        And without Vulture that would have been imposible to do!
        Member of the Apolyton C3C DG-Team

Comment

The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I'm not even in the first 6 !! Women

Beta: thank you for the contest

Btw, my personal favourite: (from a poet who's frustration for not winning the competition must be even bigger than mine. Ehh, he is probably used to it )

FrustratedPoet:

The men of the nation Controli
            Had a plan that was rather holey
            They marched off to the south
            And barely opened their mouth
            Before their ass was handed back to them slowly
            Last edited by Tiberius; July 13, 2003, 12:15.
            "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
            --George Bernard Shaw
            A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
            --Woody Allen

Comment

This contest was rigged
              A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Originally posted by Tiberius
                Btw, my personal favourite: (from a poet who's frustration for not winning the competition must be even bigger than mine. Ehh, he is probably used to it )
                Yes I am used to it.
                /me is so misunderstood.

Actually my personal favourite, which didn't even get a prize, was by redstar1:
                There was a young virgin from Storm
                Who only wore clothes to keep warm
                She saw the Vox coming
                The handsome lad drumming
                And of course she was pregnant by morn

Of course there were all good, but this one made me laugh the most.
                If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Yes, actually it would be a good idea (for the upcoming contest, that is) to award category prizes:
                  - foreign language
                  - most humorous
                  - irish
                  and so on ...
                  "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                  --George Bernard Shaw
                  A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                  --Woody Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Master Zen
                    This contest was rigged
                    Them's fightin' words...

You and Ms. Beta - 10 rounds! Now!
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Working...
                    X