Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does it add to single player?

hi

i saw the bad reviews when PTW first came out. now that it's patched does iy add much to single player?

Yes it certainly does! The new (and very much needed) buildings - the commercial dock, the stock brokerage, and the civil defense - add a lot new to single play. The new units - the Medieval Infantry and Guerilla - allow you to finally upgrade those swordsmen and longbowmen so you won't have them running around in the modern age. The new civs and wonders are also nice additions.
    "When we begin to regulate, there is naming,
    but when there has been naming
    we should also know when to stop.
    Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"

Comment

Not to mention things like stack movement and better support for mods. I play SP a lot more than MP and I think PTW is worth it.
      Seemingly Benign
      Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

I bought PTW almost entirely for the SP additions. I do play MP, but only occasionally with a group of local folks.

The SP additions mentioned by Warp and Azeem are excellent as are the new Civs. I also like the improved Barbarian intelligence. No longer will they dive on your veteran spearman right away. You actually have to chase them down.

All in all, I would say $30 bucks is a little steep just for the SP features, but I'm glad I spent the money.

- TT

Comment

Yes....The near civs do add a lot, even if they are (supposedly) unbalanced. Only Carthage really meets this criteria IMHO. Gallic Swords are nice, but overrated due to their cost. I agree with Azeem about being able to upgrade swords (and longbows too I guess, I never build archers, in SP or MP). I hated disbanding them to prevent a drain on my economy and didn't want to attack a superior AI unit which would only result an a promotion for the AI unit for the most of the time.
          Citizen of the Apolyton team in the ISDG
          Currently known as Senor Rubris in the PTW DG team

Comment

Yup, after the response on this board to essentially the same question, I bought PTW and have to say that it's worth it for the SP additions.

Just be sure to patch it to at least 1.14f after getting it. I'm still not sure about 1.21f.

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
            http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

Working...
            X