Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civ3....no Starcraft...ummm...Empire earth...!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon
    MoO2 (I can't go back to MoO 1 after MoO 2, too clunky.)
    Blasphemy! Upgrade MoO1's graphics and you still have the perfect TBS-in-space game. Gimmie sliders anyday!

Best Strategy Games of all time? The holy trinity:
    MoO1
    Civ3 (replacing Civ2)
    X-Com 1

Honorable mention:
    Space Empires 3
    MoO2
    SMAC/SMAC-X

All-time letdowns: great ideas/poor execution
    SE4
    CTP2

Still to be decided:
    GalCiv
    MoO3 (fading fast in my opinion- but lets see the patch before uninstalling)
    - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
    - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
    - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

This is kind of a biased poll considering the nature of this site . If you're going to lump Civ in with Starcraft (despite their being in two different categories TBS and RTS), I'm afraid I'm going to have to vote for Starcraft. Playing multiplayer on Battle.net was infinitely superior to anything the Civ games could have ever hoped to acheive. IMO, if Civ 3 didn't suck so bad, I might have voted for the Civ series. Civ2:ToT is king of TBS.

Honorable mentions: The next best TBS game ever has to be "Military Madness" aka "Nectaris". First appearing on the Turbo-Grafx 16, Nectaris has the most advanced strategy engine. Instead of just moving units on to tiles, this game has taken into account so many other factors, it's sick (in a good way).

Civ 3 has been out for a while, and in addition to the many patches and even an add-on (PTW), the game is still buggy. I'm not surprised at the results. This is in fact a Civ-fan-boy site.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I still like SMAC best. Civ 3 might be a contender if they had wonder movies. SMAC is the only game where I don't cancel the wonder movies.

Comment

you have masters of magic ..... i love that game !!! can i get it off you ??

Comment

What sort of infidels consider real time click skill tests to be strategy? Ban them!
            *prepares to get banned*

I vote Rise of Rome the best RTS as well as best strategy

Civ2 as the best TBS

PS: just because a game is slower and has a larger techtree, doesn't mean it's more strategic.
            Strategy becomes infinitely more challenging when it's in realtime.
            Even chess is better with a clock

Comment

Strategy becomes infinitely more challenging when it's in realtime.
              Yup... a lot of RTS bashers are usually people that suck at them
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

It's CivII
                The hundreds of scens are giving this game the edge it needs to be listed before CivIII. The scens are great and you can replay any area of history (industrial, medieval,...)
                But HoI follows shortly. A really great game you need to give it a try
                And sometime I even play MoM.

Comment

:Hmmm: How come nobody voted for Empire Earth?! I was really wondering between that and Starcraft.....probably that people just dont know about that awsome game. Pitty.

Spec.
                  -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Empire Earth is not as good as Starcraft... not by far. It's good, but not great.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                      Empire Earth is not as good as Starcraft... not by far. It's good, but not great.
                      I know, all Empire earth needs is more difference between races....which would make the battles even more complicated than they are now....but I could live with that!

Spec.
                      -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Empire Earth would be great if the scale of the maps was larger, and units had realistic ranges and such. You can be almost invincible if you can organize a large effective force of every type of unit and keep them together. Empire Earth is more of a clicker's game, IMO... although I'm not one of those... "blah blah RTS is all about clicking fast."
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Enriquillo
                          Agree...

...when you play with a clock, the other player, plays his/her turn faster, so you sooner gets done with that boring game
                          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

X-Com: UFO Defense. Best game of its time... if I could get it to run on my machine, I'd be playing it now.

Comment

I never played X-COM... I heard it was quite awesome.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yeah, my Win-XP machine eats all three X-Coms when I try to run them, and Interceptor was just too buggy anyhow.

Anyone know of a way to get these to run at a reasonable speed on XP machines? I'd *LOVE* to play these again.
                                Friedrich Psitalon
                                Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
                                Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Working...
                                X