Turn time....RAM or MHZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn time....RAM or MHZ

Which helps my turn time? RAM or Mhz? If I buy another clip of 256 RAM, which would get me up to 768 RAM, will my turn time drop drasticly or am I better off with a new processor?

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

How many times can you ask the same question? It's rude.

Better processor is always better. Period
    Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

better proc, 512 ram is enough for really big games unless you got a lot of stuff running in the background
      I spend most my money on Wine, Women and Song.. the rest i just waste.

Comment

I have a dual Athlon MP 1800+ system with 2048mb of RAM. The game still drags at points on huge maps. I don't know if it uses both processors (probably not) so; a faster processor would be the best choice.

Comment

... you need POWER, HORSE POWER BABY!

You need 512 meg of ram and the best processor you can buy.
          Why, you need processing power... more processing power= more complexity.

More memory dont help you... unless you're running photoshop in background!!!
          bleh

Comment

Depends.

If your harddisk is swapping during turn processing you'll need more RAM.

If not, you'll need more MHz.

P.S.
            For example I have 333Mhz, 64MB RAM Celeron.

My hard disc swaps while turn processing (especaily if music is turened on).

So obviosuly, first best thing to do would be to get more RAM.
            Later, get better processor.
            Last edited by player1; February 25, 2003, 07:05.

Comment

the game must drag a little on a 33Mhz Celeron... or do you mean a 386DX?

Wow... 64Meg is quite a lot of memory for a 386.

Comment

Well, you still need a significant amount of RAM for CivIII, but anything over or around 512mb should be ample. I seem to remember a review that stated the game ran optimally in 1024mb.

Comment

I am running a 1.6GHz P4 w/256k ram and rarely have a lag. Go for speed over bulk!
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Plato's right. MHz wins in the slow turn debate.

I have a P3 500 with 256 RAM. My aunt's PC is a P4 1.7 with only 128 RAM yet it still runs Civ3 much faster than mine.

Of course, programs in the background are faster in mine which has more RAM
                    A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Master Zen:
                      Everybody want to play Civ3 PTW with 32 players and running
                      3D Studio Max in background with Photoshop open....

Me I love to do that... cause i'm masochism and a little bit stupid...

bleh

Comment

I found that upping the memory helped, but I was having the hard drive access blues, so I guess that makes sense.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBaggins
                          the game must drag a little on a 33Mhz Celeron... or do you mean a 386DX?
                          333MHz Celeron

And games works fine on Standard or smaller maps.
                          (but only if music is turned off)

P.S.
                          What can I say.
                          Rare are the games which do work on minimal config.

Comment

Originally posted by cronos_qc
                            Master Zen:
                            Everybody want to play Civ3 PTW with 32 players and running
                            3D Studio Max in background with Photoshop open....

Me I love to do that... cause i'm masochism and a little bit stupid...

That makes 2 of us!
                            A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Originally posted by Sisawat
                              I have a dual Athlon MP 1800+ system with 2048mb of RAM. The game still drags at points on huge maps. I don't know if it uses both processors (probably not) so; a faster processor would be the best choice.
                              What, 2048 mb RAM? I didn't even think that was possible! That's alot of memory! What exactly do you use it all for?

Comment

Working...
                              X