Unit Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit Upgrades

Why is Cavalry a dead end? I would like to see an upgrade to Armored Cavalry. Guriella to Light Armor. Can these units be created with the editor? If they can, what values should they have? How will they effect the modern era? Would an Armored Cav unit be an answer to the overwelming power of MA?
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Armored cavalry? I am afraid my knowledge of English is limited.

The cavalry unit represents Napoleonic era and after cavalries.

An armoured cavalry unit would be more apropiate to an early medieval era, which is already covered by the knight.

Unless of course you mean something else with "armored cavalry".
    "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
    Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Cavalry to Tank?

Following the logic of Spearman upgrading ultimately to Mech. Inf., Horseman would utimately upgrade to MA.

I like the Guerrillas just as they are.
      "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

Re: Unit Upgrades

Originally posted by PLATO1003
        Why is Cavalry a dead end? I would like to see an upgrade to Armored Cavalry. Guriella to Light Armor. Can these units be created with the editor? If they can, what values should they have? How will they effect the modern era? Would an Armored Cav unit be an answer to the overwelming power of MA?
        hi ,

try the editor , there are several good examples in several forums on this site

armored cav is lighter then MA , make MA a bit more expensive to stop those MA waves

have a nice day
        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Palaiologos, Armored Cavalry in U.S. Army parlance refers to an armored reconnaissance type.

Not really something that would stand up to heavy combat, and not really appropriate in the strategic level of civ. In fact, Cavalry as it is, is probably appropriate for armored cavalry (other than the graphics, and maybe give defense of 6).

Comment

The exact same thing is being discussed in the "Asterisk after 'Elite'..." thread

This is what I posted:

How bout upgrading to light tank or something like an armoured recon vehicle. I'm thinking on something like the M8 or M20 from WW2. Something like 8.8.3
            A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
              Palaiologos, Armored Cavalry in U.S. Army parlance refers to an armored reconnaissance type.

Not really something that would stand up to heavy combat, and not really appropriate in the strategic level of civ. In fact, Cavalry as it is, is probably appropriate for armored cavalry (other than the graphics, and maybe give defense of 6).

I suspected something like that, as i was sure i had heard the term before.

thank you for enlightening me.
              "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
              Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

hi ,

, "armored cavalry"

; the hummer jeep from civ II

that ought to do it , ......

but , armored cavalry was a designation used in South - Vietnam to name large units that where moved with helicopters , ..... "air cav"

have a nice cavalry day
                - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Jaybe: I think that you are correct that Cavalry is already in this role. I was just thinking that a more modern force would have better terrain mobility and (like you) better defensive capabilities. I have seen to many times waves of Cavalry being wiped out by MA. With a higer defensive value in the modern era I would think that they could at least slow down a rush until you got some MI on the seen.
                  Panag: Thanks always for the good advice. Can you recall a thread where the armored Cav unit would be? Also, I'm not familiar with the Hummer. Is it a unit that can be downloaded into Civ III ?
                  Palaiologos: Sorry for the lack of clarity. Jaybe accurately described the unit I was trying to discuss.
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I think they reason you cannot upgrade cavalry is the horse. You can change that if you want, but I would rather create a new unit more advanced than cavalry that still is horse-based - Maybe an armored grenade launcher or better yet some kind of terrorist rider with a semiautomatic rifle. Basically a Guerilla rider.
                    Get 84 Resources, 96 Resources, or the NEW 153 Resources! Get Rockier Bonus Grassland versions1.0 or 2.0! Get My Mix of Snoopy and Womocks early terrain! Get Varied Goody Huts!
                    Upcoming Mods - Optimator (with over 1000 new units!!!) & Godzilla, Revenge of the Kaiju!
                    I am in dire need of new dino and Kaiju units!

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO1003
                      Jaybe: I think that you are correct that Cavalry is already in this role. I was just thinking that a more modern force would have better terrain mobility and (like you) better defensive capabilities. I have seen to many times waves of Cavalry being wiped out by MA. With a higer defensive value in the modern era I would think that they could at least slow down a rush until you got some MI on the seen.
                      Panag: Thanks always for the good advice. Can you recall a thread where the armored Cav unit would be? Also, I'm not familiar with the Hummer. Is it a unit that can be downloaded into Civ III ?
                      Palaiologos: Sorry for the lack of clarity. Jaybe accurately described the unit I was trying to discuss.
                      hi ,

well one could make a thread in the CIV III forum about armored cavalry

the hummer ; standard multi terrain version of the US and other armed forces of the modern day jeep and utility platform with multiple purpose , ....

in CIV II the hummer pic was used to represent mech infantry , .....

if anyone needs assistance conserning the hummer for pics or detailed information just ask , but it would have to be in its own thread , .....

have a nice day

Comment

i am also a fan of having cavalry upgrade to something else. i've modded it so that they upgrade into motorized cavalry at the same time tanks become available. the motorized cavalry keep the 3 movement, but only attack at 12 and defend at 8. so, you sacrafice some power for speed. then, they all upgrade into modern armour

as a side note, i'm pretty sure that the u.s. military designates certain divisions as being motorized cavalry divisions. they're mostly made up of m1a1 tanks and bradley mechanized infantry units. they also carry with them a hefty number of attack helicopters.

Comment

Actually there is an Armored Cav division, the 1st Cavalry Division (in Vietnam it was an Air Cav division).

Each Corps also has an Armoured Cav regiment for breakthrough exploitaition (or plugging holes in defense).

Thes units are armed with M1 tanks and M3 Bradley CFV (cavalry fighting vehicle). I don't remember well but I think one of the few differences between the M3 and M2 Bradleys is a smaller troop load on the M3, what this compensates i don't know.
                          A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Originally posted by Master Zen
                            ... I don't remember well but I think one of the few differences between the M3 and M2 Bradleys is a smaller troop load on the M3, what this compensates i don't know.
                            More TOW missiles.

Comment

A chara--

No no no.

I've done a complete turn around in my thinking.

It is fine that cavalry is a dead end. One must go through the expensive process of building a better military when modern forms are available. It's a challenge in the game.

I agree that units representing armored recon would be a nice addition. I've often thought that 'tank' (which I think of WWI terms) to MA (Desert Storm) is too much of an advance.

Slan--
                              rmds
                              "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

Working...
                              X