Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asterix after 'Elite': What does it mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cyclotron is on the money here .
    If cavalry has got an upgrade, it is the helicopter...

(I do think it is good for cavalry not to be able to be upgraded, give your more of a strategic choice IMHO)
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva

If cavalry has got an upgrade, it is the helicopter...
      If I remember well the helicopter units in the movie 'Apocalypse Now' were called the ?th Cavalry.

Best movie ever.

Comment

Some helecopter units are known as cavalry untis, but this is only in the United States Army (maybe a few exceptions, but I don't know of any), and useully just because of tradition. Air Cav is called that because they serve as fast attack froces that have a similar function on battlefields, but their training and equipment have absolutely no similarities, hensce they should not upgrade. Dedicated helecopter infantry make up 2% of the US army, and only super powers and their closer equivalents in power have them. Upgrading any army based on cavalry to make a modern army of recon units is ridiculous, and not accurate in the slightest. (I would point out that "Air Cav" does not refer to attack helecopters such as Apaches and Cobras, only light infantry units moved by transport helecopters. I would further point out that the game has infantry and trnasport helecopters, so if you want air cav units just mate the two in the default game.)
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

asterisk
          Jack

Comment

Originally posted by rmds
            Wouldn't it be nice if cavalry would upgrade to some kind of light armor?
            Only if the light armor is moved by horses.

See, the path of those mounted troops allways require horses. The path shouldn't be broken IMHO.
            I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
              To be more precise. It means that you got a leader from that unit and you cannot get another leader with that unit prior to it being upgraded. If you upgrade the unit, the asterix goes away and the unit can then generate another leader once it becomes elite again.
              Whaaaa? Why'd they do that? That sucks I would've thought just the opposite -- that a victorious unit has a certain amount of prestige associated with it that would increase the probability of another leader arising, if only incrimentally.

Now I understand why I had so much trouble getting leaders in my last game
              "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                Some helecopter units are known as cavalry untis, but this is only in the United States Army (maybe a few exceptions, but I don't know of any), and useully just because of tradition. Air Cav is called that because they serve as fast attack froces that have a similar function on battlefields, but their training and equipment have absolutely no similarities, hensce they should not upgrade. Dedicated helecopter infantry make up 2% of the US army, and only super powers and their closer equivalents in power have them. Upgrading any army based on cavalry to make a modern army of recon units is ridiculous, and not accurate in the slightest. (I would point out that "Air Cav" does not refer to attack helecopters such as Apaches and Cobras, only light infantry units moved by transport helecopters. I would further point out that the game has infantry and trnasport helecopters, so if you want air cav units just mate the two in the default game.)
                Alrighty -- paratroopers it is!
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                X