unwanted razing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unwanted razing

When I take capture a city, sometimes the city is automatically razed and sometimes it isn't. I would appreciate help if anyone knows how to fix it.

Cities with no culture are automatically razed when you capture them.

It is meant to be that way and there is no fix.
    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
      Cities with no culture are automatically razed when you capture them.
      Actually, if the city has no culture AND only a population of 1, it will be automatically razed.

I have taken over many population 2 (and above) cities with zero culture. But all population 1 with zero culture have been automatically razed.

So if I want a city, I wait until it's at least a population 2 before I attack it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich

Actually, if the city has no culture AND only a population of 1, it will be automatically razed.
        Correct (and what I meant to say). I have just managed to partially avoid this in the very early game. I found myself sharing a small continent with the Germans and decided to get rid of them. They hadn't built any temples so only their capital city had accumulated any culture.

I hit Berlin first and it did not get razed. The next city was size 1 and no culture so was razed. Altogether I captured four out of six german cities, mostly size 1, because I hit the capital city, displaced the palace so a few points of culture built up in the new capital and then hit the new capital.
        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Yes, following the capital around is a good way to make sure smaller cities you want don't get razed. Very thoughtful of the AI to move the new palace just down the road, in most cases.
          I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

An excellent strategy... hadn't really thought of that before... although most of the time, I can't stand the way the AI places most of their cities, and I'm content with seeing them razed anyway.
            Infograme: n: a message received and understood that produces certain anger, wrath, and scorn in its recipient. (Don't believe me? Look up 'info' and 'grame' at dictionary.com.)

Comment

This makes sense if you think about it; a size 1 city with no culture? Undeveloped, you're just talking about a bunch of sheds and huts, depending on the tech level. If you managed to build factory/aquaduct/etc in a size one city, the invaders would probably look around, assume plague had struck or there was a curse, and burn it down anyhow....
              Friedrich Psitalon
              Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
              Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Working...
              X