- stack of units falling if only one unit from the stack is defeated

- uncontrolled war declaration / peace making

- building two cities next to eachother squarewise

- copy protection questions

- attacking foreign units without consequence before contact is made

- foreign units settling in the middle of civilization

- settlers advancing attacks with quick rail building

- sid meier in toga

What I really miss from Civ I is the random events...

earthquakes destroing cities

cities without barracks experiencing pirate raids

cities without aqueducts experiencing plagues

etc, etc (I don't remember them all)

Other than that, I don't miss civ I at all
    Brian

Comment

Re: things i miss about civilization 1

- sid meier in toga
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Omg, the copy protection question were classic!

"In the Civilization manual, on the fifty-second page, in the 4 paragraph, in the second sentence, what is the ninth word?"

Comment

The copy protection on my exroomies Mac version asked what the preqs for various tech icons were. After a few false starts, my roomie and I spent a couple of hours copying out the tech advances, prerequistes and their icons.

(I later paid for CivII MPG, TOT, CivIII and PTW......I don't feel much guilt about not paying for Civ I )
          Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
          I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

I agree entirely with Uberkrux on all points.
            Lime roots and treachery!
            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

it was funny cause eventually you just memorized all the answers.

or, at least i did.
              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Ahhh, the good ol' days of killing things before making contact. When you finally meet your victems, it's just "what phalanx? I didn't see any phalanxs on the way here... "

I do miss those little plane icons though...
                I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Are you mad man?!?! That was a ridiculous rule. Maybe someone can tell me what the original thought was behind this rule, 'cause it used to drive me mad!

The one rule I really miss was when one of your units was next to an enemy unit, it couldn't skirt around it. The unit either had to attack, sit still, or back away. This made choke points on land ( and fortified units outside of the city, in general ) very effective blockers.

But it general - Civ III rules!

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by petemajor

Are you mad man?!?! That was a ridiculous rule.
                    Pete
                    I think the original post was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. At least that was the way I read it.

Comment

OMG no way, that was so lame.

Nah.

Lame.

L-A-M-E.

That was fun, I totally forgot about that ability.

ANNOYING.

Very unrealistic.

- sid meier in toga

Hehe OK.

Oh and I thought ZOC was incredibly lame too, man that used to annoy the heck outta me.

Comment

Originally posted by petemajor

Are you mad man?!?! That was a ridiculous rule. Maybe someone can tell me what the original thought was behind this rule, 'cause it used to drive me mad!

The one rule I really miss was when one of your units was next to an enemy unit, it couldn't skirt around it. The unit either had to attack, sit still, or back away. This made choke points on land ( and fortified units outside of the city, in general ) very effective blockers.

But it general - Civ III rules!

Pete
                        I agree. Nothing more annoying than landing a massive invasion force next to an enemy city, to have it attacked by a catapult stationed inside it, wiping out 10 units with one shot.

You can flag all units as having a "zone of control" in the editor, to return to some civ 1/2 type of blocking strategies.

Comment

You can flag all units as having a "zone of control" in the editor, to return to some civ 1/2 type of blocking strategies.
                          Some being the important word, so don't go looking into the to change it as it was in civ I & II.

I prefer the ZOC of CIV III anyway
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I had all the copy-protection questions memorised too. Not sure whether that's quite sad or quite admirable... maybe I just played too much...
                            -Sir T

Comment

I always thought the coolest thing was splitting an empire in two if you captured their capitol! Man, I lived for that glorious moment.

I also miss the random events, although I do remember doing a few "reloads" after adverse events happened to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X