PtW unit addition error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PtW unit addition error

When i was working on a scenario for PtW, I found that i got an error due to the new units I added. The error had somethn to do with pedia icons, tho I did not touch the pedia. In civ 3 i could add units and not have to do anything with the civpedia and the mod would work fine. Is this different in PtW? Do I have to do something other than just add a unit and all of its data and make sure the names match like i did in civ 3?

Kman
    "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
    - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
    Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

When adding units to PTW, you need to tell it which folder to use. This is actually quite handy, since you longer have to rename folder names and ini files. So, for example, if I wanted to add the Otomo Spearman from the PTW\Extras\Medieval Japan folder, but have it called Yari Spearman, I need to do the following (all w/o quote):

1. Add a new unit - "Yari Spearman" - in the editor
    2. In the Civilopedia entry box I put "PRTO_Yari_Spearman"
    3. In pediaicons.txt I need to #Unit animations section (it's near the bottom)
    4. Add these lines:
    #ANIMNAME_PRTO_Yari_Spearman
    Otomo Spearman
    5. Now, unless I want to move the Otomo Spearman folder from the Extras\Medieval Japan folder (which I don't have to do, and saves disk space if I'm not duplicating it), I need to go to Scenario Properties in the bix file and type in "..\Extras\Medieval Japan" in the Scenario Search Folders box.
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

ah, much better.

Thank you again, zulu! I do not know what i would do without your help or your units_32 file, heh.

Kman
      Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

See, someone should top my thread with the tutorial I did on adding PTW units.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

That is an excellent idea, as I figured someone had done such a tutorial, and after a brief initial search for one, i gave up as, like most people, i was too lazy and just decided to post a thread. And as not to clog the forum with people like me asking the same question over and over again, 'cause im sure ther will be more who will, they should top a tutorial.

Comment

Good point. I will bump the thread if I can find it.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

i'm pretty far into a modded game right now, and i came across that error message. i had used some ww2 units and didn't list them in the pedia text. i've listed everything correctly now (i've tested it). is there any way that i can integrate the correct stuff into my old saved game?

i'm gonna be pissed at myself if i have to start a whole new one because of my ineptitude.

i appreciate your suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by mullenstephen
                i'm pretty far into a modded game right now, and i came across that error message. i had used some ww2 units and didn't list them in the pedia text. i've listed everything correctly now (i've tested it). is there any way that i can integrate the correct stuff into my old saved game?

i'm gonna be pissed at myself if i have to start a whole new one because of my ineptitude.

i appreciate your suggestions
                You shouldn't have any problems after you correct the error. Making changes to the text and graphics files are about the only things you can change mid game that have an effect.

Comment

Kramerman,
                  There is a good tutorial on adding units for Ptw at www.cdgroup.org in the Civ 3 section.

It is a step by step method and while there may other short cuts, it works for me.

Flash
                  Flash
                  Ἐí ἀñ÷ῇ ἦí ὁ ëüãïò, êáὶ ὁ ëüãïò ἦí ðñὸò ôὸí èåüí, êáὶ èåὸò ἦí ὁ ëüãïò.
                  the Moderator of the World Creators

Comment

Originally posted by Willem

You shouldn't have any problems after you correct the error. Making changes to the text and graphics files are about the only things you can change mid game that have an effect.
                    it's still telling me that it cannot find "text\pediicons.txt":animname_ even though i know i've added all the new units to the text.

i believe that when i started the game i had not typed anything in the civilopedia entry space on the units page in the editor. since then, i have filled those spaces out for each of the new units, and corresponded those with the unit titles in the pedia.txt. and yes, i did remember to resave this as the same name that my current save game is working out of.

knowing me, it's probably something stupid that i forgot to change, but it sounds like the game reads the scenario at the beginning, and doesn't reread it again at any point in the game.

has anyone else had to do this? if so, did it work?

Comment

Originally posted by mullenstephen
                      ...but it sounds like the game reads the scenario at the beginning, and doesn't reread it again at any point in the game.
                      Come to think of it, you're probably right. If the error was just in the pediaicons.txt file it wouldn't matter, but since you forgot the "Civilopedia Entry" area, I suspect you'll have to start from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                        Good point. I will bump the thread if I can find it.
                        Did you find it, if so could you post a link because I didn't, please
                        The true way of sword fencing is the craft of defeating the enemy in a fight, and nothing other than this.
                        -Miyamoto Shinmen Musashi

Comment

Originally posted by Usually Insane

Did you find it, if so could you post a link because I didn't, please
                          click on the link that flash spoke of a few posts ago. it's about as thorough as you're gonna get.

Comment

Originally posted by Flash
                            Kramerman,
                            There is a good tutorial on adding units for Ptw at www.cdgroup.org in the Civ 3 section.

It is a step by step method and while there may other short cuts, it works for me.

Flash
                            hi ,

great , thanks for the link

have a nice day
                            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
                            X