No announcement yet.

Favorite Trait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I voted commercial. Religious confers the biggest strategic advantage, IMO (followed closely by industrious).
    But the commercial civs are much funner to play once you have reached critical mass (and challenging to get there).
    This trait does not make marketplaces/banks cheaper, btw.
    aka, Unique Unit
    Wielder of Weapons of Mass Distraction

Comment

This started me thinking about what Firaxis gave us. There are 9 civs in PTW with the militaristic trait and 9 with religious (3 with both). Next most common are expansionist and commercial with 8 each and then scientific and industrious with 7 each.

The 9 militaristic civs have some of the best UU's in the game and all except possibly impi's are for attacking the neighbours.

Do you think this is a hint from Firaxis about how the game should be played.

P.S. I voted militaristic, religious and industrious before I thought about which civs had which traits.
      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Keen observation...

I think Firaxis basically tailored certain Civ's for certain styles of play... if you're a warmonger, you'd pick a militaristic civ with a killer UU... builders would probably go industrious... with all kinds of levels in between.

They did the same sort of thing with the various factions in SMAC....
        Infograme: n: a message received and understood that produces certain anger, wrath, and scorn in its recipient. (Don't believe me? Look up 'info' and 'grame' at dictionary.com.)

Comment

FYI my favourite civs are Aztecs, Japanese, and Celts

for peaceful guys the Babylonians seem cool. Ottomans seem kind of cool, but I haven't played them all the way through.

Scientific would be my fourth favourie followed by commercial then expansionist.

Comment

industrious, religious, and militaristic......for me are the 3 best...
            Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

As someone who just can't resist a well-built road network and deforesting the world, I have to go with Industrious. I've been playing the Carthaginians almost exclusively lately, and the Ind/Com combo, plus an excellent UU make it a great choice for any builder.

I was actually going to sit down and write a civ-specific strategy thread for them, to continue on in the recent tradition, if anyone is intersted...
              I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

I think Civ-specific strategies for all the available civilizations would be a good thing to have. I'm not sure if anyone has already started this or not, but it would be great to compile it into a single document.
                Infograme: n: a message received and understood that produces certain anger, wrath, and scorn in its recipient. (Don't believe me? Look up 'info' and 'grame' at dictionary.com.)

Comment

1. Industrious
                  very close second: Religous

Fairly close third. Scientific

gap

4. Military

chasm

5. Expansionist

close 6th: Commericalism
                  1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                  Templar Science Minister
                  AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                    1. Industrious
                    very close second: Religous

Fairly close third. Scientific

gap

4. Military

chasm

5. Expansionist

close 6th: Commericalism
                    That seems to be the consensus. Expansionist and Commercial traits appear to be the red-headed stepchildren...

Sheesh... that means the poor English not only have the most useless UU... they also have the least popular Civ trait bonuses. I guess if you're looking for a challenge, you should play as the Brits....

Comment

The Koreans should be a challenge without a dominating uu.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                        The Koreans should be a challenge without a dominating uu.
                        Yeah.... if only the Firaxians would give us stacked bombardment...

Comment

My experience has been that an Industrial and Commercial civ will grow quickly, if I manage it well, and the treasury will flow with gold. I want lots of gold, in bushels, baskets, sacks, and strongboxes. I need it because there will come a time, usually later in a game, when my peaceful, prosperous, happy civ turns dangerous, grim, and warmongering. Gold means rushing units, airports, and those lovely, useful ICBMs.
                          "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

I haven't got into PTW yet (Xmas is coming!) but I have to speak up for commercial. I'm not sure which I like best. Certainly it's fun to have AI city after city come over to you. And it's a kick to see those busy workers getting things done so fast. But it's also a great deal of fun to watch the cash pour in. As with the player above me (sorry, I didn't note down your name before I started this), it gives you a lot of power and freedom to buy, buy buy!

But those are my three choices. If you've never tried commercial, choose the French once or twice and see how you make out.
                            Jack

Comment

Noting that our bar graph is now up to 250% of the votes counted...

You'd think Expansionist would be doing better. Or maybe it's an Industrious graph.
                              "Illegitimi non carborundum"

Comment

Working...
                              X