Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

less desastrous effects of global warming in PTW SP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• less desastrous effects of global warming in PTW SP?

I am under the impression that the effects of global warming are less desastrous under PTW single player.

I played on a huge map till 2050 (won:!) and had a lot of pollution.

I did not see once a tile changing for the worse.

Having played only 3 games, I wonder if this was sheer luck or something else.

true that...i have yet to get a tile change due to global warming..

Comment

Originally posted by Minmaster
      true that...i have yet to get a tile change due to global warming..
      how many games did you play?

Comment

It seems to me it takes a LOT of pollution for global warming to even have a chance of taking effect , and even then its effects are usually minimal - I don't think I've ever seen warming's effects in a city's tile, it always happens off in the boondocks somewhere.
        I've played several games well into the Modern Ages with the world fairly polluted ( Nuclear Weapons? Who, Me?) and never seen warming's effects become devastating - I remember in Civ2 the oceans would rise-yikes! also in civ2 the # of polluted tiles was a detriment to your score...
        In civ3 the only reason I clean up pollution is the negative effect it has on a tile's production ... I'm not cool with 0/0/0 .
        "If you find yourself falling into madness - dive." - Malkavian Proverb.

Comment

Re: less desastrous effects of global warming in PTW SP?

Originally posted by georges bonbon
          I am under the impression that the effects of global warming are less desastrous under PTW single player.

I played on a huge map till 2050 (won:!) and had a lot of pollution.

I did not see once a tile changing for the worse.

Having played only 3 games, I wonder if this was sheer luck or something else.
          When you say you had a lot of pollution, what do you mean? Did you have a lot of polluted squares, or were your cities producing a lot of yellow triangles?

The yellow triangles, nuke usage, and nuke plant meltdowns are what cause global warming.

Comment

I've played a few games to the P-and-P level (pollution and peasants - clean pollution, put peasants manually back on tile). I've had a few squares convert due to warming, even had a jungle convert to grassland saving me the trouble.

No where near the trouble I saw sometimes in CIV2, mind you.
            Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
            http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

Re: Re: less desastrous effects of global warming in PTW SP?

Originally posted by Traelin

When you say you had a lot of pollution, what do you mean? Did you have a lot of polluted squares, or were your cities producing a lot of yellow triangles?

A lot of polluted squares, which under Civ3 in combination of polluted squares originated by the AI, made a lot of tile change for the worse.

And so I have the impression that the effects of global warming are less under PTW.

??????????????

Comment

Re: Re: Re: less desastrous effects of global warming in PTW SP?

Originally posted by georges bonbon

A lot of polluted squares, which under Civ3 in combination of polluted squares originated by the AI, made a lot of tile change for the worse.

And so I have the impression that the effects of global warming are less under PTW.

??????????????
                What I mean is that, if you let the polluted tiles stay polluted for long periods of time, then yeah they can change the terrain value (e.g., Grassland -> Plains). But the global warming degradation (i.e., when you get the message saying, "Global warming has changed into " is ONLY caused by the use of nukes, nuclear plant meltdowns, and the yellow pollution triangles you see in the city display.

Comment

I *LIKE* the degradation caused by global warming... I mean, it forces you to adapt, adds another challenge. Can you edit the rate of warming in the editor?
                  Brian

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: less desastrous effects of global warming in PTW SP?

Originally posted by Traelin

What I mean is that, if you let the polluted tiles stay polluted for long periods of time, then yeah they can change the terrain value (e.g., Grassland -> Plains).
                    That's what I mean and if you have lots of polluted tiles which you cannot clear in a reasonable time, the tiles change for the worse.

In CivIII I hab it all the time, now it seems less.

Comment

Working...
                    X