Firaxis can easily fix this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firaxis can easily fix this

I'm sure there are many out there who, like me, want to play a game with someone with a very high ping time (e.g. 3000ms). With 3-5 seconds of lag for every little click of the mouse it's nearly unplayable at the outset and would be much worse once the game gets going if anyone had the patience to play that far. There's an easy fix if Firaxis will just implement it. Simply combine the networking code from a normal turn based game with the you-play-your-turn-then-I-play-my-turn logic of the play by email game. Waiting 3-5 seconds between turns is no big deal. 3-5 seconds per click turns into several minutes per turn. Please fix this, Firaxis!

They can't easily fix this. I don't think you're ever going to get good playability with a 3000ms ping.
    My nickname in the PTW matchmaking system is Psygnosis.

Comment

If you have a 3000 ping, You have serious problems.
      Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

So I can't play turnless on the ole 2400 bps? Damn, time to upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by aebrahim
          They can't easily fix this. I don't think you're ever going to get good playability with a 3000ms ping.
          I didn't say it was ideal. Firaxis included play-by-email, and I assure you the latency in that mode is much greater than 3000ms. All they've got to do is send the end of turn updates directly instead of email. They've already got the networking code to connect via tcp/ip.

Comment

I never understood why there must be a constant contact between all participating computers during the turn-based turns as well.

Why indeed not just let someone finish the turn on his own computer and send the data........

Pherhaps someone from Firaxis can explain this?
            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I guess it is because, when it isnt your turn you can still play. You cant move units... but everything else (negotiating, city managment, etc.)

+ you wouldnt see the moves of your opponent (just like in pbem).
              If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

The original poster was suggesting doing it just like PBEM. Traditional I-GO-U-GO fare. No doing anything on the other players turns.

It would work between high ping players and is a good idea. In fact, I suggested this same idea to Firaxis a few weeks ago. Here's hoping that more people asking will make a difference.

Oh yeah, Firaxis, replay would be great and needed to do this mode right.
                Seemingly Benign
                Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

i need replay! i need build previous unit done correctly!
                  :-p

Comment

Working...
                  X