aircraft carriers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raion
    I just looked at it in the Editor, and I think that one would have to check the 'load' box, and that is all for the helicopters, about middle right side of screen of Units tab of the Edit Rules of the civ3.bix file, plus anything else like bombard at the bottom of that screen for units or different type of air missions, if wanted.
    Has anyone tested this in-game?
    Infograme: n: a message received and understood that produces certain anger, wrath, and scorn in its recipient. (Don't believe me? Look up 'info' and 'grame' at dictionary.com.)

Comment

I think that if you double the Carriers fighter capacity, that you ought to double the cost of building it. Otherwise you'll have an unfair advantage over the AI.
      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
      Templar Science Minister
      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
        I think that if you double the Carriers fighter capacity, that you ought to double the cost of building it. Otherwise you'll have an unfair advantage over the AI.
        Why? The AI can enjoy the benefits of the added capacity as well.

However, I suppose the fact that the AI rarely exploits the power of the aircraft carrier makes it a potentially unbalancing mod.
        Infograme: n: a message received and understood that produces certain anger, wrath, and scorn in its recipient. (Don't believe me? Look up 'info' and 'grame' at dictionary.com.)

Comment

The problem is Civ3 and also PTW don't allow for fighter air support on bombing runs.
          Actually, this isn't quite true. If you send in fighters on bombing runs and the defending fighter intercepts they will fight each other; the equivalent of fighter sweeps.
          Over, under, around, or through

Comment

Originally posted by benjdm
            Actually, this isn't quite true. If you send in fighters on bombing runs and the defending fighter intercepts they will fight each other; the equivalent of fighter sweeps.
            For this reason, I have increased fighter defense strengths to almost their attack strength, with the exception of the F-15 in which it is equal to its attack strength.

The rationale being that interceptors will be using their attack strength, and fighter vs. fighter combat advantage goes to those INDIVIDUAL fighters that see their opponent first.

Comment

Jaybe, I do the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Argos65987
                Has anyone tried to edit helicopters so that they are able to load onto aircraft carriers?
                I tried this a few months ago with vanilla Civ3. It appears that once you add cargo capacity to an air unit, you can no longer base that unit on a carrier.
                Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

No other boxes to check other than the 'load' checkbox.
                  Load and unload is for transport. Other than that, if one wants to have the heliocopters do something else, in the air catagory boxes, than that also would have to be checked.

But, I have not tried it yet!
                  Haven't looked any further yet into it.

Comment

I usually boost my carrier capacity to 8. Four is definately too small for what I typically envision them as.
                    I think this is done to be more representative of a real aircraft carrier's support costs. The American ones have 5000 people on them ! So I think of a Civ 3 carrier as being one half to one third of a real Nimitz class carrier.

Comment

HAS ANYONE SEEN. . .

AI aircraft carriers used with a full load of airplanes? I recall in Civ 2 the AI often did not do that. So I waswondering if thre AI has been improved in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle
                        HAS ANYONE SEEN. . .

AI aircraft carriers used with a full load of airplanes? I recall in Civ 2 the AI often did not do that. So I waswondering if thre AI has been improved in that regard.
                        Definitely. In fact, when I see an AI carrier, it is usually fully loaded (and gets replenished if aircraft are lost).

Catt

Comment

I use aircraft carriers for so many different roles...protecting my fleet, fighting off enemy ships, supporting beach landings, airstriking cities...and this list just goes on... Especially if there are large oceans and sea areas involved in my map. I get more then my money worth from a carrier nearly everytime I build one. Alot of times I put a full load of either fighters or bombers and sometimes a mix. I have not edited them to carry more aircraft or anything, I just use the default capacity of 4. I imagine increasing it to 6 or 8 would be even more useful but I think the cost should go up then too.
                          -PrinceBimz-

Comment

Originally posted by benjdm

No this is different. You are describing a fighter being used a light bomber.

There is no AS role for outgoing bomber missions. AS only protects from city center. Even if your city is only 4 tiles from enemy city and you have a fighter on AS, that fighter will never engage the fighters attacking your bombers.

Sometimes using a fighter as a bomber will work and other times not. I have seen AI ignore fighter bombing runs and wait to intercept the real bombers.

== PF

Comment

Originally posted by Catt

Definitely. In fact, when I see an AI carrier, it is usually fully loaded (and gets replenished if aircraft are lost).

Catt
                              Agreed. AI will also build several carriers. They are often defended by at least one other ship. Rather than stack as series of ships and carriers, the AI will spread them out so they cover more area. With the longer range of the stealth bombers sometimes it is takes time to figure out where the AI bombing attacks are coming from.

== PF

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceBimz
                                I use aircraft carriers for so many different roles...protecting my fleet, fighting off enemy ships, supporting beach landings, airstriking cities...and this list just goes on... Especially if there are large oceans and sea areas involved in my map. I get more then my money worth from a carrier nearly everytime I build one. Alot of times I put a full load of either fighters or bombers and sometimes a mix. I have not edited them to carry more aircraft or anything, I just use the default capacity of 4. I imagine increasing it to 6 or 8 would be even more useful but I think the cost should go up then too.
                                Not a big deal. 4 would work fine. 4..5..6, all seem to be used fine by AI. If you increae beyond that, then the AI is crippled a bit as it prefers to disperse it's carriers rather than concentrate units like humans. {it can move dispersed units faster than human can move stacked units.}

The only real reason I increase mine to 6 is for convenience. 5 bombers + 1 jet. Thus each carrier has a load of X x 5 bombers. 1 carrier=5, 2=10, 3=15, etc. I don't count the jets, but count the bombers in figuring out how much air bombardment I need. Once I figure out the number of bombers, I work backwards and build that many carriers. It is just easier to multiply 5 x # of carriers than 3 X # of carriers. Well maybe not easier, but simplier to work off base 5 {1/2 of base 10} than to work off base 3 {1/3 of base 10}.

== PF

Comment

Working...
                                X