Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How good/bad is the editor in "Play the World"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Switch
    Maybe a Privitization tech or small wonder (although the wonder would need a better name), that would give any city of size 3 automatically free basic building, like barracks, granary, temple, and marketplace? Maybe a library too, though that might be pushing it. And maybe granary shouldn't be in, as there's already the Great Pyramids.
    I think this is an excellent idea....
    Infograme: n: a message received and understood that produces certain anger, wrath, and scorn in its recipient. (Don't believe me? Look up 'info' and 'grame' at dictionary.com.)

Comment

Re: How good/bad is the editor in "Play the World"?

Originally posted by siredgar
      MOST IMPORTANTLY, can you specify a civ's location when creating your own scenarios?
      This can be done in the editor for 1.29f.
      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I have to say that "privatization" doesn't provide free facilities to anyone. A "New Deal" wonder would be a good idea to accomplish this infrastructure-building task late in the game.

What privitization does in real life is not create social institutions, but rather, privitizes currently existing ones... which are then sold if they're not profitable or valuable enough.

It would be good to represent privitization in Civ... perhaps democracies and anarchies could have a percentage chance of being seized control by an oppositional senate / decommissioned gov't planners à la post-Soviet Russia, who then "privitize" various non-productive elements in your empire, just as improvements are often destroyed during rioting. This would leave you with less money to pay per turn, but the improvements would be gone. Much more accurate to what privitization does to countries, both rich and poor, today... destroys them but balances their budget.

You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

Comment

Well, scripting and rules.txt files did not come out for a couple of years, when scenarios became the big thing, in the next expansion pack -- with Civ II. Then the "Watch the computer AI play themselves" - Cheat mode came out, and the scripting and such.

It is going to be a lot of work, but I think one could use the same graphics and just rename some Wonders, doing about the same things and change it around that way perhaps! Have not dealt too much with the editor yet, myself -- but then -- where else and what game even has that in it. Adding units and graphics and such.

You get quite a bit already, so until the next expansion pack, 8 new Civ's and terrain graphics, help, and the extra units. all add to the editor.

New Civ's and such also.
          Civ II was same way!

Please Sid, Please, Firaxis, Please, please, please, please, please, please!

Can you say 'please' fast six times??

I am a microbe!

Comment

So, I could not vote, unless one thinks it should be a patch, but then, some of the scenarios by people started to be included in the Civ II game, later, when the scenarios expansion came out.

So, I don't see something to vote for up there???

Good, but extras, added, to next expansion pack of game, of scenarios, for the editor and scenario making even better of the game for scenarios, for the game!!!

Comment

The editor is pretty solid in PtW, even if there aren't many spectacular changes since 1.29f (which already allowed to place specific starting locations, to place and edit cities, to place units etc.)

The big deal is that 'scenario properties' now works.

You can change the timeline any way you want :
              - set the starting and ending date
              - set how many time units a turn lasts (i.e you can have every turn of your renaissance scenario last one year)
              - rename the time units (for you prehistoric scenario, you might want to rename 'years' into 'moons' or something flavoury like that) ; years, months and weeks are alrady built-in.

You can force players / AIs to play some specific civs, and force rules.

I didn't try the scenario folder thing yet, so I cannot speak about it.

Gotta love how they removed some hardcoded limits. Your air units can now go further than 8 tiles !

If you didn't follow what happened when 1.29f came out in July, here are the other things you can do (which you couldn't when Civ3 first came out) :

-set fixed starting positions
              -place and edit cities/units on the map
              -give specific techs to specific civs
              -look at the beautiful minimap
              -mod individual units so that they have more or less HPs (if you dislike having warriors with the same amount of HP as battlecruisers)
              I don't remember other good things 1;29f did on top of my head.

Overall, the Civ3 editor is now a complete rules editor, which allows much more flexibility that what you could imagine in Civ2's rules.txt.
              However, the lack of scripted events, and worse, the lack of premade diplomacy means it is impossible to make historical scenarios for now.

I've read somewhere another expansion is in the works. I wouldn't be surprised if it adresses the editor and the scripted events.
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                The editor is pretty solid in PtW, even if there aren't many spectacular changes since 1.29f (which already allowed to place specific starting locations, to place and edit cities, to place units etc.)

The big deal is that 'scenario properties' now works.

You can change the timeline any way you want :
                - set the starting and ending date
                - set how many time units a turn lasts (i.e you can have every turn of your renaissance scenario last one year)
                - rename the time units (for you prehistoric scenario, you might want to rename 'years' into 'moons' or something flavoury like that) ; years, months and weeks are alrady built-in.

You can force players / AIs to play some specific civs, and force rules.

I didn't try the scenario folder thing yet, so I cannot speak about it.

Gotta love how they removed some hardcoded limits. Your air units can now go further than 8 tiles !

If you didn't follow what happened when 1.29f came out in July, here are the other things you can do (which you couldn't when Civ3 first came out) :

-set fixed starting positions
                -place and edit cities/units on the map
                -give specific techs to specific civs
                -look at the beautiful minimap
                -mod individual units so that they have more or less HPs (if you dislike having warriors with the same amount of HP as battlecruisers)
                I don't remember other good things 1;29f did on top of my head.

Overall, the Civ3 editor is now a complete rules editor, which allows much more flexibility that what you could imagine in Civ2's rules.txt.
                However, the lack of scripted events, and worse, the lack of premade diplomacy means it is impossible to make historical scenarios for now.

I've read somewhere another expansion is in the works. I wouldn't be surprised if it adresses the editor and the scripted events.
                Excellent summation. I would also like a little more flexibility with regards to traits that can be assigned to great/small wonders, and an easier way to plug custom units, resources, wonders, tecnologies, and city improvements into the game. Right now, it can be done, but it's hardly intuitive for those of us who just want to point-and-click our modifications into the game.
                Infograme: n: a message received and understood that produces certain anger, wrath, and scorn in its recipient. (Don't believe me? Look up 'info' and 'grame' at dictionary.com.)

Comment

Working...
                X