Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

w00tah my maps made it in!

Comment

I wouldn't say that any of the Mods is Scenarios (except maybe for one of the TEthurkhan mods) since none of them start with units and multiple cities.

Though the editor is great and I expect many good scenarios in the future (Harlan Thompson come on now ). The only thing I miss is an event editor but perhaps they will release another addon in a year or so intruducing just that.

Comment

Powerslave:
        So there are no "actual" scenarios (besides the one you mentioned), there are just mods. And why wasn't The Alamo scenario included?

Comment

here are some mods that look like they have a lot of potential, but most are very incomplete.
          1. Many do not have most of the graphics. They say that you can download the graphics, but as of yet I’ve been unable to find these downloads (only non-PTW compatible mod versions seem to be available)
          2. The ancient Mediterranean mod’s map does not have resources placed very well. Most civs have no access to copper, there is no timber (note: the beginning British boat requires timber, but there is none available to them), no elephants (not even for Carthage). I went in and added some of these, but it should come properly done.
          3. Documentation on how to use the mods in non-existent. I personally have no idea how a can use a particular rule mod with a particular map, or a rules mod with a terrain mod. I realize that this has to do with my lack of knowledge on the subject, but it should come with some explanation.

Hopefully in the future they will have a more comprehensive way of choosing your rule mod, terrain mod, and map. I don’t know how realistic this is but I would like to see this in a patch (largely because a patch will come out much sooner than a new exp pack).

Comment

Originally posted by Randolph
            Hopefully in the future they will have a more comprehensive way of choosing your rule mod, terrain mod, and map. I don’t know how realistic this is but I would like to see this in a patch (largely because a patch will come out much sooner than a new exp pack).
            What's the problem? I do this now. The editor allows this currently.
            Seemingly Benign
            Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Originally posted by gunny123
              I cant believe anyone would say any of the scenarios that came with this game are any good. A bunch of maps you could of already got.
              Didn't try TET's scenario did you? I think it is awesome.
              Seemingly Benign

Comment

What if he did? All you do is seem to reply everywheres where someone says something negative about the game, i would guess largely because youre terrain set is included with PtW. Not everyone who plays this game is an expert at the editor, which takes quite awhile to get the hang of when there is no documentation involved at all, period.

Comment

No, I'm replying because I like TET's scenario. It has most of the things he claimed weren't in the game. It uses the new units Firaxis added. It has a very accurate map with accurate starting locations for 31(!) civs. It has a massive tech tree. It has new resources. And it doesn't use my terrain set.

And you don't need to be an expert on the editor to get it to work, all you have to do is choose Load Scenario.
                  Seemingly Benign

Comment

Originally posted by Randolph
                    3. Documentation on how to use the mods in non-existent. I personally have no idea how a can use a particular rule mod with a particular map, or a rules mod with a terrain mod. I realize that this has to do with my lack of knowledge on the subject, but it should come with some explanation.
                    Long ago, I wrote Firaxis about this and got a reply something to the effect of "well, Brian have at it, because we aren't".

The way I usually get this to work is to Import rules and maps into a blank scenario.

I found it works best if you import the rules in first and then the map.

This can occasionally cause some problems if the map and rules are seriously incompatible (you won't know till you try).

For terrain mods, all you have to do is add the path to the artwork to the list of directories in the Scenario Search Folders in the editor.

The way the scenario paths work is you give your mod a list of directories (folders) to search in order. If you have multiple directories separate them by a semicolon ';'. You can use relative pathing (..\..\someMod) also. The assumption is that the search starts from the Civ3PTW/Scenarios directory

In addition to folders that are explicitly listed in this field it will search through other default paths.

The search order is as follows:

1. directories listed in the path in the order listed
                    2. directory named the same as your mod
                    3. the PTW standard directories
                    4. the Civ3 standard directories

Whenever PTW tries to open a file it goes through these in order and stops when it finds the first match. While this article is mentioning graphics this technique works for sound, animation and text files also.
                    Seemingly Benign

Comment

Could someone please elaborate on TET's scenario. A lot of us still can't get a hold of PTW and I for one am really curious about what's in it.

Comment

Tet's thread says it better than I could.
                        Seemingly Benign

Comment

Wow

It's going to take me a while to get through all that. So before I do, does it need PTW or will vanilla Civ3 run the scenario?

Comment

Tet had an old version that ran on vanilla civ. His latest uses a lot PTW specific stuff, so it only runs on PTW.
                            Seemingly Benign

Comment

Is there somewhere I can get the old version then?

Comment

Working...
                              X