No announcement yet.

Korean UU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After reading all these posts, I look forward in playing with the Koreans. Great info everyone.
    " They will fight and die till the last warrior"
    -Dimaratos to Xerxes, a few days before the battle in Thermopylae...

Comment

Originally posted by gsmoove23
      Don't knock the Incans, they held an enormous mountainous territory without the aid of horses, their only large domesticated animal being the llama, not fit for ridin'. When the spanish conquered the Inca they were aided mostly by disease which has nothing to do with spanish scientific achievement. Considering the late start all of the Americas seems to have had, I think its unfair to compare with Europe whose achievements rest squarely on the back of Egyptian, MidEastern, Greek and Roman civs. Not to mention gunpowder from the Chinese. Incas, Aztecs and Maya didn't have the headstart of having all the hardwork done for em by someone else.
      You're right and I agree with you 100%. I do not wish to knock on other civilizations. However, I was responding to the comparison of Korean civilization with that of the Incans and Israelites! While the Incans did have an impressive road and communication system and a large amount of territory. The fact is they are one of the most overrated civilizations in history. They only lasted about 200 years and were wiped out by a single invasion led by a few dozen Spaniards (accompanied by their diseases). You have a very good point about the fact that their isolation did not help them in terms of gaining from previous knowledge. However, it is their isolation that most likely allowed them to survive and flourish for that short time. It is also one of the key, if not THE key, motivation behind all the people who want to put them in Civ3 (not their achievements.)
      "I've spent more time posting than playing."

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet

England IS the Vikings-Anglo-Saxons-Normans. The English were the invaders, not the invaded. There hasn't been a successful military invasion of the island for almost a thousand years.

It was the Celts who lived in the southern part of the Island that were conquered by the invaders. The Celts in Scotland survived much better.

The word 'England' is derived from 'Angland' - i.e. "The Land of the Angles".

I understand what you're saying, though. What I'm writing here is mostly just semantics.

And FWIW, I think the Koreans (and Celts) should definitely be in PtW.

But we don't want another one of these threads, do we?
        Yes, I should have been a bit more clear. The history of the British Isles is quite complex, especially in its early stages. It is difficult to determine who exactly the "British" are. I would say it's a mix of all these peoples, but I guess what I referring to was primarily the "Britons" which would include the Celts to a large degree.

Anyhow, I'd like to see the Celts in there, too. But in some ways they were already included by putting the English, French, and Germans in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet There hasn't been a successful military invasion of the island for almost a thousand years.
          Who else can boast a stat like that

Comment

Originally posted by Calc II

It would be cool if I agreed with you 100% and I was a blind partior but the facts arent exactly how you stated.

1. Empire of what we know as Korea was divided into three kingdom for much of its history. Bloody struggle for territory ran most of its history until Shinra and Koryo unifed the empire.

2. Well that is true, but most of its ancient "independent" period, Korea served under Chinese sphere of influence as a much like "satellite nation" of Eastern Europe of USSR.
            1. The three kingdoms period was only a part of the long history of Korea. Anyhow, it IS a part of Korean history just like the Carolingian or Merovingian dynasties were a part of French history.

2. Korea was never a "satellite nation" of any other country. After many years of fighting with the Chinese and seeing them grow in power and expand in population and territory, the Koreans basically came to a truce with them. In a feudal-type system, the Chinese leader became Emperor and the Korean leader became King. The latter paid tribute to the former, but the two nations were pretty much entirely independent. Even this "tribute" was more like trade because the Emperor often returned more gifts back to the King than received. It was mostly symbolic. The Chinese Emperor ran his country and the Korean King ran his own. The two cultures influenced each other (althought admittedly, China was culturally superior and had greater influence) and there was a trade, but these were really two independent nations. The Chinese did not really meddle in the affairs of the Koreans until the 19th century, when the Western powers began their incursions.

Even North Korea was never considered a "satellite nation" under the Soviet Union like the Eastern European states. Most likely, the decision to invade South Korea in 1950 was made by Kim Il Sung with Stalin's consent. It was not a puppet regime. The Soviets provided military and economic aid, but there were no troops of theirs in North Korea ever (besides some advisors and technicians). This is dissimilar to the situation with Eastern Europe, where you indeed had Soviet troops and invasions (Prague, Budapest).

Comment

Originally posted by rob.derosa

Who else can boast a stat like that
              If I'm not mistaken, I think both Korea and Japan can.

Comment

Working...
              X