Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of unit will Medieval Infantry be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of unit will Medieval Infantry be?

It has been announced that PTW will include a unit tenatively called "Medieval Infantry". What kind of unit do you think this will be?

I would think it would be 5/3/1, upgrade from Swordmen, requiring Iron, cost 60-70 shields, and be available with Chivalry.
    Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

I hope it is an upgrade for the swordsman. I'm certain the Persians and Romans won't be so screwed once knights enter the battlefield if it is.

As for when it is available, I definitely agree with Chivalry. I heard that it was meant to be a knight on foot, so it would be appropriate to be available with knights.
    "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
    "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Medieval Infantry are militia of free citizens and peasantry, later merceneraries. They weapon was pices. They was in later Knights. With musketeers withdrawn knights in XVI. Redudant with Picemen in the Game. May be need Pesantry Forces - medieval analog of Guerillia
      CiviPort

Comment

I don't expect you will be able to build either of the new units, I think they will just pop up like partisians from Civ2.

Comment

you have to remember, they're re-doing ALL the unit ADMs... so your thoughts are probably off by a few #s
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
            I don't expect you will be able to build either of the new units, I think they will just pop up like partisians from Civ2.
            Agree.
            CiviPort

Comment

All I know is that it's going to look really cool!
              (At least, that's all Jeff would tell me about it )

Comment

I dont know if its the best idea for a unit thats needed. I think 'longbowman' fill in the halfway decent unit that doesnt require resources block, and then there's pikeman, both of which satisfy 'meideval infantry' IMO. Maybe there could be 'longswordsman' or something but I think that time could be spent elsewhere in the game improving areas that need improvement rather than here. Maybe swordsman should upgrade to pikeman or something.
                "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

I suppose will all find out soon; I bet Firaxis will spill the beans with in a month or so.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Pythagoras
                    I dont know if its the best idea for a unit thats needed. I think 'longbowman' fill in the halfway decent unit that doesnt require resources block, and then there's pikeman, both of which satisfy 'meideval infantry' IMO. Maybe there could be 'longswordsman' or something but I think that time could be spent elsewhere in the game improving areas that need improvement rather than here. Maybe swordsman should upgrade to pikeman or something.
                    My vote for 'Crossbowman' for 'medieval infantry'.
                    Pikeman with m. infantry are too redudant and unrealistic.
                    CiviPort

Comment

In my mod, I made Man-O-War into the Ship of the Line, and gave it to all civs, made the Longbowman the English UU, and made a Crossbowman unit to replace them. During the medieval times, Pikemen were used for defense (as they are in the game), but there were also offensive units. The ancient 2,000 year old Swordsman is a good canidate for being updgraded. Going from 1000 BC Swordsmen to 1500 AD Musketmen is quite a leap, even for Civ, wouldn't you say?

Comment

Working...
                      X