Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If the editor was free, would you buy the XP ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the editor was free, would you buy the XP ?

I wonder if the free release of the XP will dramatically affect sales, as some of us think. I'm making this poll to know if it's true or not.
    YES, I would still buy the XP
    76.92%
    NO, I won't buy the XP anymore
    3.85%
    I wouldn't have bought the XP anyways
    11.54%
    Don't know
    7.69%
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

I would imagine that they would have a tough time having the editor only in the XP (and certainly in marketing it this way). The initial ads and box cover for Civ3 bragged about its editor.

Comment

Everything in the XP sounds great, unfortunately I already spent $70 on an uncomplete game on Halloween, and I'm not going to spend another $40 to complete it.

Comment

Well, the XP will have all those unit graphics for the promised Japanese and WWII scenarios
        Up the Irons!
        Rogue CivIII FAQ!
        Odysseus and the March of Time
        I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

I think I'll buy the game anyways, if not it's totally screwed, and I really don't think that will happen. It doesn't seem like that now at least!
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I would have got it anyways. As I've said, I want to crush real people, not Abe Lincoln.

The problem with this poll is that most people already had their decision firmly in place whether or not the editor would have come with the XP or not. The way the poll is now proves that (9 say yes, 0 no, 2 say no and wouldn't have anyways). It's the people who aren't civ fans that it might sway one way or the other. After all those of us that are here already have our opinions, wouldn't you say?

Comment

Most probably, but that's why the "don't know" option is for.
              I think the non fans aren't that aware of the patches, and on what will be available to those who follow the information closely, etc.
              My point is : this questions applies only to the fans, as the non-fans will not consider the editor to buy the XP or not (why do I have to uselessly babble before I sum up ? )
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I think GP has a good point. Not charging for the editor is an act of good faith with the community. Work on it never stopped from what I know. I believe it always was their intention to complete the editor, for free.

MP on the other hand. A Firaxian said at one point that there was no contract to produce any other products (yet, as of then) and thus no work was being done in that area. Or something like that, I could be mistaken in my recollection.

Anyway, although I'm not big on MP, and I'll already have the editor, I'll buy it in a split second so that I can get the new units, improvements, and civs in addition to the improved exe.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                  I think GP has a good point. Not charging for the editor is an act of good faith with the community. Work on it never stopped from what I know. I believe it always was their intention to complete the editor, for free.

MP on the other hand. A Firaxian said at one point that there was no contract to produce any other products (yet, as of then) and thus no work was being done in that area. Or something like that, I could be mistaken in my recollection.

Anyway, although I'm not big on MP, and I'll already have the editor, I'll buy it in a split second so that I can get the new units, improvements, and civs in addition to the improved exe.
                  My thoughts exactly
                  I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

I think they'll use free editor to get finished FAN sceanrios added to XP.

Like dozen fan made sceanrios shiped in Civ2 CiC.

Comment

Originally posted by player1
                      I think they'll use free editor to get finished FAN sceanrios added to XP.

Like dozen fan made sceanrios shiped in Civ2 CiC.
                      I fully agree. I will certainly buy the XP, but not primarily for the editor.
                      Si vis pacem, para bellum (9 mm)

Comment

Do you work for Firaxis, Spiffor?

So, is Firaxis backtracking now?
                        "I've spent more time posting than playing."

Comment

Re: If the editor was free, would you buy the XP ?

Originally posted by Spiffor
                          I wonder if the free release of the XP will dramatically affect sales, as some of us think. I'm making this poll to know if it's true or not.
                          hi ,

nothing in this world is free , ............

have a nice day
                          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Re: Re: If the editor was free, would you buy the XP ?

Originally posted by panag
                            nothing in this world is free , ............
                            Fully agree.

Firaxis / Infogrames are here to make money and pay their employees, and not to work for free for fans that are not ready to spend one penny...
                            Si vis pacem, para bellum (9 mm)

Comment

Actually, I'm considering not buying the XP because the most evil man history has ever produced is included and glorified.

Though, I may buy it and mod that particular civ into Byzantium.

Anyway, i'll probably buy it for the 8 civs. Multiplayer doesn't interest me anyway. And the 'add extra civ' doesn't work too well.
                              The two real political parties in America are the Winners and the Losers. The people don't acknowledge this. They claim membership in two imaginary parties, the Republicans and the Democrats, instead." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. My (crappy) LiveJournal

Comment

Working...
                              X