Multi-player "pay per play"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Haven't you heard of Everquest? Insanely popular, insanely addictive and in a few cases deadly. Plus i've heard that the "country" of EQ's per capita income is in the top hundred in the world. Ebay sales of weapons and characters.
    I hadn't heard of it. But suspected that something like this would exist. Just supports me thinking...

Comment

Originally posted by GP

I hadn't heard of it. But suspected that something like this would exist. Just supports me thinking...
      Whatever you do, don't get it, or EQ2, not sure when its coming out. My ex-roommate was totally obsessed by it. Every waking minute playing it. Some guy allegedly killed himself because of the game a few weeks ago (his parents are suing, ridiculously enough) A game can be supported like this, it just takes some magic. I doubt Civ3 could work like this, as each game is self contained, no continuity between games.

Comment

I don't think they would actualy pay to play. HOWEVER! I have the feeling they will push you to play on some gaming site no one ever heard of, and that site requires you to dish out a monthly subscription to play games on their site. Possibly, hard write it into the code that the MP runs better on their site then on regular Quake style of "Ping! I found you, let's play". Forcing people to use that site.

Remember, there are not that many people out there who can play games on a LAN. Either they don't have the computers, or their boss has had it with all your Civ2 LAN Parties and pulled the plug on his server.
        I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

There are. At least Artifact does have a lot of loyal paid members. It's also a strategy empire building game. Membership can be purchased, and upgraded.

Originally posted by GP
          Are there any other MP based games with subscription? Perhaps making good money? Just curious. I'm not a gamer. But I figure that companies would try to Hoover out more money from player's pockets by doing this...

Comment

Originally posted by GP
            I may not be a gamer...but
            Why should we pay ANY attention to what you say if you aren't a gamer?
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by GP

If you don't know this, then you may also need to know UO, Ashron's call. But all of them are Role play game. Artifact is different. It's closer to civ. Actually somewhere between civ and C&C. I hope the MP@civ3 should be somewhere between C&C and Artifact. WHich means: Firaxian provide a free on-line server. People like it have to buy the game, and play on the server as option. The server also function as a gamer community, and provide a flawless global ranking system by game design, server auto-report, cheat detect and so on. Wow Firaxian should hire me for on-line marketing. LOL

Comment

I agree with AH, what are you doing here, GP.
                Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

as gamers, we should pay attention to non-gamers to get a different viewpoint on the debate, it may help us come up with a logic behind the corporation's movement, and maybe even give us ideas
                  First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
                  Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

Originally posted by Grrr
                    I agree with AH, what are you doing here, GP.
                    He should get on back down to the OT where he belongs

No postcount for you!
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

No postcount for you!

/me or GP?

Comment

GP of course - you play don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                          GP of course - you play don't you?
                          Grrr doesn't play, he just spends all his time posting here! what is that Grrr!, 30 messages in the past 2 hrs?

just teasing, of course

Comment

Less than 2 hours. Of course, MP is what I'm waiting for.

Comment

Originally posted by Grrr
                              Less than 2 hours. .
                              impressive.

Comment

pay per play

If I buy an expansion to civ III and then they want to charge a subscription for multiplayer; all I can say is I might actually get some sleep.
                                Matt Watchorn

Comment

Working...
                                X