Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom PBEM Maps

hi there

i was wondering, if anyone else would be interested in custom made PBEM maps.

how many times have starting land masses been completely different size on archipelagio maps? how many times are you stuck without luxuries in the 10-tile radius and the other guy has 4? how many times has the RMG (random map generator) made playing just a tad bit unbalanced?

are there any map creators out there who'd be willing to set up PBEM maps? basicly not much has to be done except generate a few random maps, tweak them here and there to make it even.

in some cases maybe also special custom wishes could be included, like stronger barbarians, tech tree tweaking, etc.

is there anyone around who'd be interested in either making or playing such custom maps? if so, we could set up an organization thread for such stuff...
    - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
    - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

sabrewolf ...Excellent idea. A mapmakers thread.

Unfortunately I am not one of those. Folks who have done some work along these lines that I am aware of include OctavianX, Sir Ralph, and Kloreep. I am sure there are a number of others.

What would also be useful if one of the more experienced map maker types could provide a map making 101 lesson, or direct us to a thread where such directions exist.
    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Catt once made a small balanced Pangaea map for six players that jshelr, Sir Ralph, DaveMcW, Nor Me, Dominae, and I started playing.

Unfortunately, that game died, and Catt's work will go to waste unless six other players are found. If six other players are interested, hopefully he still has the bix file, which can be converted to standard rules biq (no need to weaken the Industrious trait in C3C).

Comment

alexman, two things, start a new thread, and I'll join.

Sabrewolf, sorry, never met anybody like that.
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

alexman,
          with 6 people, it's more likely that a PBEM dies. i just think the ones who slow down or even fall out should find a replacement.
          why did the game die? turns taking too long?
          i couldn't see anything in the end or the thread... it just seemed to take longer and longer for no particular reason

beta,
          i can't imagine it's too difficult. the players should give a neutral person the specs (eg. everyone on an island, 3 luxuries, etc etc) and the mapmaker (i'd actually call him mapreviewer or maptweaker) adjusts the stuff.
          of course it's not as good as most pros, but most people can make a reasonably fair map...

Comment

I volunteer for balancing/tweaking such maps, if anyone needs them. Having played more than enough PBEM with totally unbalanced starts and knowing that it does not feel good, if i can spare others from that pain, i'm glad.

Its relatively easy and doesnt take too much time. Its actually quite fun to play with the editor.

Comment

Wow that's great Conqueror! sabrewolf was looking to set up a PBEM with 4 of us, so we may take you up on that offer!

Comment

conqueror,

great offer! that would be wonderful! we'd graciously take advantage of this

here's the relevant thread:

we're still discussing details, but you'll get a nice summary when we're ready

thanks again!

Comment

I just made a 5-player map that is currently used in the "Intra Team Game".

= {yellow, green, blue, red}
                  Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

This is probably a better place for the discussion if your concerns in the Intra Team thread were serious, BFM.

Does anyone think that the way starting locations are assigned on pregenerated maps has a negative affect on gameplay given that it produces different odds of getting coastal starts for seafaring tribes?

My first thought was that seafaring has been considered an overpowered trait and this might moderate it, but I think the situation is different with human players as opposed to SP with AIs- it is left too weak in MP. I also thought this might be getting too nitpicky, but if Firaxis thought enought of it to tweak coastal starts in a patch, destroying the placement formula completely with pregenerated starting positions is not good.

Has anyone noticed any other starting position-linked traits? I thought someone mentioned agricultural tribes were predisposed toward river starts...
                    Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

If you're looking to restart this game and there's an available spot, I'd be happy to participate
                      So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
                      Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

/me too

Comment

Working...
                        X