No announcement yet.

Diplomacy in another age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what do the rulers of Mother Russia say about Britons actions here...
    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
    I am of the Horde.

Comment

• AD 1802, July to the very quiet British Lord Modo....
      I am of the Horde.

Comment

• It may be prudent to investigate the situation more closely before issuing any proclamation as the supposed culprits are our pact brothers. We shall dispatch in haste our frigate Tsarina Elizabeth to the disputed area. She will be fully capable to investigate the conflicting claims of France and Britain and report back on the actual situation.

Comment

• Well done indeed

It is hoped by the international community that England will open up the Straits of Denmark, thus allowing you through

As co-owner/operator/ signatory of the Channel Document, I hereby give my permission for your Frigate, the Tsarina Elizabeth to make passage through the Channel
          I am of the Horde.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy the Scot
            Looking forward to your explainations on this indeed
            Very well then, here you go. This is to all rulers of Europe, except the Ottomem.

Britain knows, that there were vessels in the Atlantic, that committed piracy. We have sent our navy to pursue, and sink each and every one of them. This has ended a few months ago, as no more of those "privateers" were found lurking around.

The following information is confidential, so please, don't disclose it to the public. We have commisioned a few of our own ships, that look very similar to the pirates. This allowed us to lure them close to our warships, where they could be dealt with much easier. Had we tried to find them with just warships, I assure you mighty Lords - there would still be privateers lurking. We have lost many of the small vessels (the pirates aren't exactly known for good manners, even between themselves ), but some have prevailed. To be exact, we have two - the ones Spain is so paranoid about.

Now we are sending an expedition into presumably hostile waters. We don't know what people live (and hide) in unclaimed parts of Africa. We also don't know the size and whereabouts of the Ottoman fleet. But most of all, we are worried about possible pirate raids. Surely you will understand, that scouts will be invaluable in there. I agree we could be using frigates. Unfortunately, they are of British build, and can't be mistaken for the boats most small countries use. Such scouts would draw much unwanted attention.

As I have assured King Chrisius many times (for example, by signing a treaty that confirms it...), all British ships will travel throug Spanish waters without leaving the fleet. We trust completely, that our southern friends can defend us from any perils, therefore no scouting will take place. Please, tell me, what other actions do you require to let those ships pass?

Now, if others could guarantee us safe passage, after we leave Spanish waters, that might change our position considerably. As long as we have to count on our own abilities to defend, I'm afraid the special scouts are necessary.

As for the Russian frigate, of course we will let it through. But, this solution has one big downside. It would delay our help enormously, and our pact brothers are fighting a war, if you haven't noticed. Transport ships are slow already, you know.

For now, we have vary reluctantly sent messages to the two ships in question. They will not enter Spanish waters, until this matter is resolved.

--
            King Modo
            Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

• Blood oath they should not enter the Mederteranian Sea

You are quite the diplomat Lord Modo

But a privateer is a privateer

swing them near Brest again by themselves, my people will capture a painting of them that will be posted here

Thus showing you that again you are wrong
              I am of the Horde.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy the Scot
                Blood oath they should not enter the Mederteranian Sea
                Forgive our harsh response, Marchel Paddy, but France has little to say in that matter. You don't exactly control the Gibraltar Strait, do you? Hopefully your ally will remember the presumption. You don't own Spain, do you?

Originally posted by Paddy the Scot
                You are quite the diplomat Lord Modo
                Well, thank you very much. Judging by the stubborness we encounter, not everyone is.

But a privateer is a privateer
                Yes. It's a ship class. It is determined, basing on weight, and speed. Nothing more, and nothing less. Their role remains to be decided by the user, mind you. The Royal Navy uses them as scouts. The British Man-O-War crews can board and capture enemy ships as well, you know. Will you call them pirates now?

swing them near Brest again by themselves, my people will capture a painting of them that will be posted here

Thus showing you that again you are wrong
                Why would Britain return these ships to York? They are not needed there at the moment. And what exactly do you mean by "proving me wrong"?

King Chrisius! Somehow we thought that paying for passage would allow British ships to actually pass. Somehow, this doesn't seem to be the case. Strange. We are not pleased, I tell you.
                Last edited by Modo44; January 13, 2005, 07:40.

Comment

• ok you are not that good a diplomat

a privateer is a pirate ship to any other nation in any language

duhhhhh !!
                  I am of the Horde.

Comment

• I'm sorry, but if any small warship, even flying the British flag, is considered a pirate, then I don't follow the reasoning you try to pressure here.

Anyway, Britain won't give you any more reasons for aggression. HMS Beagle, and the New Lands have turned away, and are returning to York for patrol duty. We shall remember this.

Comment

• Well on behalf of France, keep them in harbour
                      I am of the Horde.

Comment

• If I ever again get the idea to name units in a Civ3 game, somebody please stop me. You are authorized to use violence.

Save sent to the Spanish people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Modo44
                          If I ever again get the idea to name units in a Civ3 game, somebody please stop me. You are authorized to use violence.

Save sent to the Spanish people.
                          [out of character]
                          mate we have all so been there

ahh the joys of Civ

really looking forward to getting my hands on this save

this game is moving along nicely

pleanty of good roll play

plenty of great diplomacy indeed

[/ooc]
                          I am of the Horde.

Comment

• Continued Correspondence

To His Royal Highness, Modo, King of Britian

For some time you have tried to convince me that your Privateers are but Scouts

Scouts you say

Scouts that have no nationallity

Like the butcher of Cambodia was just a gourmet cook....

Yes your privateers can be classed as scouts, good value

Yet to all other nations they are pirates. They can attack and do damage and leave no NO trail of what nation they represent

you know, we know it

you acknowledge it, we acknowledge it

then you want us to roll over and kow tow to your desires that we be dumb to the actions of said vessels

all very very strange

you want it both ways as you slide down a very slippery poll that has long since seen the varnish that is called the truth...

as to your many comments on the fact that Spain is the only nation you need talk to regading entry to the Med

Well Sire France is a signatory of the Gibraltor Agreement of Passage

Along this Franceis also one of several Naval Nations based within
                            the Med.

Your nation would be a visitor to this region.... so you really need understand that your demands have far reaching implications.

Yet do you take others into consideration in these matters

No not at all

Instead you keep coming back with some insignificant set of details that the privateers in your fleets are but scout to your Admirals

Well I must admit to being quite please to hear that you have returned these two vessels to Harbour

As your friend, and as a fellow Nation sharing the waters in the Atlantic, the North Sea and our Channel, I hope there will be no further instances of my frigates dissappearring

You have quite loudly proclaimed that there are now no, I repeat NO pirates in the northern waters, so that will then mean that if my lads mysteriously dissapear then you and your PRIVATEERS can only be to blame

We hope all is well in your Island Nation, and that we will see you on the Continent at some stage soon

Regards,

Paddy of France
                            Attached Files
                            I am of the Horde.

Comment

• Re: Continued Correspondence

Well Sire France is a signatory of the Gibraltor Agreement of Passage

Along this Franceis also one of several Naval Nations based within
                              the Med.
                              Well, that's great for you. But as long as you don't have means to enforce you claim, it's just hot air. Sorry to be so direct again.

As your friend, and as a fellow Nation sharing the waters in the Atlantic, the North Sea and our Channel, I hope there will be no further instances of my frigates dissappearring
                              Let's hope you can defend them well enough, so it doesn't happen. Britain is not obligated to protect your boats.

You have quite loudly proclaimed that there are now no, I repeat NO pirates in the northern waters, so that will then mean that if my lads mysteriously dissapear then you and your PRIVATEERS can only be to blame
                              No, they won't. Now that we know how ungrateful other nations are, we have decided to withdraw our Atlantic fleet. We will use the ships strictly for home defense. We can't, and won't guarantee safety for those, who don't respect us. We are sure Spain and France can handle any pirates without help from Britain. From now on, you will have to.

Note that HMS Beagle will remain on duty near York. It will pick up scientists, and drop anchor to do some research in the area. Should it disappear, we'll know whom to blame.

We hope all is well in your Island Nation, and that we will see you on the Continent at some stage soon
                              Be careful what you ask for. You might get it.

Comment

• Gentlmen Gentlemen might i suggest Handbags at twenty paces
                                A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Working...
                                X