X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI

Hey guys,

I play with my brother in the same city, both on cable modems, DDR ram windows ME and whatnot. We played turn based with max number of civs on the largest map. It was fast but as time progressed it slowed down, near the industrial age. Now its sooooo slow, I want to kill myself. I think that the AIs take to long and slow it down.

jer

also, does anyone know how to turn of worker/unit animations?

Comment

FYI

Hey guys,

I play with my brother in the same city, both on cable modems, DDR ram windows ME and whatnot. We played turn based with max number of civs on the largest map. It was fast but as time progressed it slowed down, near the industrial age. Now its sooooo slow, I want to kill myself. I think that the AIs take to long and slow it down.

jer

also, does anyone know how to turn of worker/unit animations?

Comment

Role of the host

I've read in multiple places how important it was to find a "good" machine for hosting and such. After some interesting experience in a Direct IP game, I asked a direct question and got the following answer from a Firaxian:
        PTW (as well as most other strategy games) uses a peer-to-peer network architecture, so each machine talks to every other machine. The host is only responsible for initially sending new players the addresses of all the other players. Once each client has a client address list, the host becomes no more important than any of the other clients.

This means the game will only run as fast as the slowest person in the game. Therefore, playing with one person who's lagging badly will slow down everyone else.
        For more details see http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...threadid=37707
        Care for some gopher?

Did you know that in GalCiv, the AI makes you think you are playing against humans? Stop laughing, they mean it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kittenOFchaos
          Also: the host player should have the most powerful computer (of the people playing), the host player suffers most slowdown and having a computer with alot of RAM can really help rectify this.
          Does the host computer also need the best internet connection, or is it just a matter of RAM ?
          Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
            So whats the problem with WIN ME?
            What ISN'T the problem with WIN ME?
            Brian

Comment

I am reading here that some people are experiencing the same thing I am.

My friend and I have tried to play multiplayer games. We are on a LAN. What happens is either of us can host but when the other joins, it just seems to freeze up and eventually crash.

So we tried doing an internet game. What happens there is we can go to the pre setup lobby, all click ready and on the setup, the joiner gets tossed out with a message about not being able to connect to the host.

Single player works great on both computers.
              Multiplayer I can't commenton since I've never gotten it to work.

Comment

u can play behined a university firewall....
                just open up the ports that gamespy specifies in its FAQ. although you may have problems hosting games, you can definately join any game you want.

and u can play with a bootleg version of the game. I downloaded the game of kazaa, then used an ISO buster to translate it to cd form. if the other players do this wrong then they shouldnt even be able to get to the MP staging screen. if they are there, warez copy doesnt matter, just depends on what patch they have installed. (some warez dont come with 1.14 patch...)

outro

Comment

multiplayer hotseat

I was just wondering if there is any way to play hotseat with more than just 8 players. Please help!!!

Comment

Maybe someone can help...

Having a LAN at home with two computers both having XP.
                    They work perfectly in other MP games.

Whenever i try to open a game it automatically tries to connect to the internet and the only help is to disable the function in the network settings.

First time i did this i worked well and i (at least i think) experienced a game without much lag when moving units. (via internet most of the times i try to move a unit it needs about 2-3 sec bevore the comp actually moves the unit)
                    But yesterday the game crashed everytime after about a minute of playing when i tried it without internet connection.
                    (everytime the host computer who is also the one connecting to the internet)
                    With internetconnection i could play normally allthough with the above mentioned lag.
                    Both computers are connected to the internet via LAN when the main computer is connected.

main comp:
                    XP
                    1024 DDR ram
                    1.7 GH

sec comp:
                    XP
                    384 ram
                    700 p 3

Question is:

Does anyone know a possible reason for this?

Any info if Firaxis will fix the lag prob ? *g*

right now its still playable with two human players but we had a max of about 20 units to move while playing i doubt it will be enjoyable once we start a big war.

Comment

I appreciate the input of these posts
                      Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                      I am of the Horde.

Comment

the NAT issue...

the game most certainly DOES use external IP's to manage in game traffic. So it is not enough for you to just open a port, you need to also forward that port to your client computer. The major problem seems to be that for direct play connections it binds to port 2302 - ONLY. You have no ability to change this port, and no alternate port list exists. So you can forward this port to one machine, but not more than one.

I thought about sending it to broadcast, but then there is no distinguishing information for the client to decide which one it's meant to have. I might be wrong here, some intelligent coding could provide such information, but I haven't seen much of that with this game. Even moderately intelligent programming would provide a port list for connections to cycle through, or even better user settable ports.

Why must this game use peer to peer?
                        <>---Cyber-Spyder---<>

weaving webs within the web...

Comment

i believe ive narrowed the problem down to one thing my NAT. as of now i see no way around it, esp since none of the forums mention it as a problem. Ive tested all my components and unless theres a firewall on win2k i dont know about, my NAT is to blame.

i have a belkin wireless router connected directly to my computer. The router has a firewall, however i have been on my DMZ since i got it. The firewall is not the problem, esp when im still invisible even with the firewall completely disabled.

ZoneAlarm is not a problem either, i have Civ, gamespy and directplay allowed for access and server. ive fiddled w/ the security from high to none with no results.

and i dont believe spysweeper acts as a firewal but ive disabled that as well for good measure.

i dont have anti virus software

i have sbc dsl and they provided me w/ one ip address that i share on my NAT. I cant jus disable it cus i have 3 computers on my network.

so is it impossible to host w/ a NAT? or is there some way around it? or am i missing something?

and for those ppl who jus can host, the NAT may be ur problem too

Comment

ok.so after reading theses posts what IS the best way/place/server to play CIVIII on/with?

I am a memebr of Founders Club @ Gamespy and play lots of games there...is this as best as it gets for CIVIII (only play 3 games there..each about 2-3 hours apiece)

Thanks

Gramps
                            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

anyone tell me where to play CIVIII or is my above post the only location?

Thanks

Gramps
                              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Grandpa Troll, you can try here :
                                The Great Armada scenario

Comment

Working...
                                X