Yet Another Succession Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vmxa1
    Sorry I forgot to check on this forum as I had not visited before this week.

It is an ugly start that is certain. You can play it and burn up most of the time left before Civ4 or start over and roll about 6 maps.

Post them and have the team select one. Often the host will play out a number of maps and pick one that is likely to be fun.

If you chose to play this out I would strongly suggest you ICP this island. Seafaring would have been better for an island as the cheap harbors and such. But you must pack in as many towns as you can fit on it. Get alpha and get out some ships.

You must get more land and contacts. I would not build a granary as you have no real need of with so few tiles to use. Not having water is very harsh.
    that was my point earlier

never seen a succession game started on 5 tiles
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Well it comes down to what is the goal of the SG? Is it to have fun? Is it to collaborate with friends? Is it to learn a specific thing?

Often SG's are put together to test one skills on a given subject. So you see them form up to try their hand at their first Regent/Monarch/Emp/DG/Deity or Sid. Some want to try their first always war. Now if you are wanting to see how good you can fare with a bad start, you are all set.

If you want to have fun, with you friends, you may want to reroll a new start. If you are really isolated and have no oter land that can be reached before Astronomy it will be a very rough road.

If you have a nice size island near you that is empty, you could do well. Either way you will have to play this more like a warmonger and pull yourself out of a hole.

Mistakes will have to be minimized, which is usually not needed for Monarch games.

At least you have good story tellers to write up the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
        Well it comes down to what is the goal of the SG? Is it to have fun? Is it to collaborate with friends? Is it to learn a specific thing?

Often SG's are put together to test one skills on a given subject. So you see them form up to try their hand at their first Regent/Monarch/Emp/DG/Deity or Sid. Some want to try their first always war. Now if you are wanting to see how good you can fare with a bad start, you are all set.

If you want to have fun, with you friends, you may want to reroll a new start. If you are really isolated and have no oter land that can be reached before Astronomy it will be a very rough road.

If you have a nice size island near you that is empty, you could do well. Either way you will have to play this more like a warmonger and pull yourself out of a hole.

Mistakes will have to be minimized, which is usually not needed for Monarch games.

At least you have good story tellers to write up the ride.
        indeed great points

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't mind a reroll so that we can get some early interactions with other tribes and those raging barbarians.

OTOH, we've invested a little time in this already and may want to see how things turn out in 20 turns or so after we start launching curraghs.

The granary start is a place-holder. It won't hurt us to complete it and I was trying not to burden the civ with too many units. It's pop is 1 so it's not ready for a settler build yet. The granary can be swapped over to settler instead once the city gets to size 3, if desired. Pretty much I wanted to give the next player some latitude.

I put GB City where it is deliberately so that we could pack in extra cities - a little tighter than the CxxC spacing that seems optimum.

Comment

That seems fine, I have not tried to run the numbers, but with no water, you will be stuck at 6 for a long time and probably will only need about 5 settlers for the island.

You could elect to sell it off later if need be, just thinking about saving the maint and the shields. Actually the shields may not be all that important.

I forget Zulu is exp and mil? If so that is not to bad as you get the cheap harbors at least and better chance for leaders.

Comment

If you do play on, I would sit down with a pen and paper and figure out how long of a prebuild you will need to get the Lighhouse.

Start on it as soon as it makes sense. Get a temple up in the wonder city and try to use the Colossus as a pre. The palace will only be 300 shields, so do not go over that before you have something to switch to in a pinch.

Of course yu need Mason for that.

Comment

Is space enabled? If so use f10 to see who is in the game and what they have for starting techs. You want to think about acquiring some trade techs and not researching those that are going to be widely known already.

If it is not enabled post the notice of the top 8 when it comes up.

Comment

Well you already know France/US/Iroq/Mayan. I think the other is Inca?

Comment

If that is so then Alphabet/Mason/Pottery are known while you have WC as an unknown to the others.

Comment

• Oh sorry,but one more thing. You can wait on troops until you get a barracks as you will not see barbs on your island.

May as well make nothing but vets and hold off on maint, until you need MP's or are gearing up for expansion abroad.

Comment

• Thanks, vxma! All good points. That granary can be swapped over to barracks easily enough. OTOH it could be useful if we want to keep using the capitol city for ponging out settlers - I think we need four more for our island. Then we could sell it back until we get electricity.

Comment

• and The Island of Sleep Hollow slept ever so gently in the warm coastal breeze

Comment

• James, Trollman, this isn't a PBEM. We can skip skrob for a round until he shows back up.

I vote to do so NOW and have James play asap.

Comment

• good by me as this was a major issue last game we played..folks got tied up with r/l issues

make it happen

Comment

• James, you're up!

Comment

Working...
                                X