No announcement yet.

PBEM Newbie Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think that all ground units should be amphibious, maybe the riflemean and infantry could be added to the spectrum, but other than that, all units that aren't amphibious, should stay that way. as for lethal bombardment, i don't think we should up bombard strength and give lethal bombard. it should be one or the other. And lethal bombard shouldn't come in untill artillary. as for islands I am for two island one for each team. this way it might add a little pizzazz to the fact of haveing to cross the seas to attack on foriegn soil. Granted it will be a long process, but possibly worth the wait.
    Last edited by Metra; September 24, 2005, 15:09.
    "Forever shall we be remembered, as the wall that would not Crumble." -Metratan Defender Call to arms

Comment

Yes one island for each team will be good. Shall we exchange msn adress or something so we can communicate easier?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeppson
        Yes one island for each team will be good. Shall we exchange msn adress or something so we can communicate easier?
        I was thinking the same thing. However, Metra and I have been using Yahoo (as I mentioned to Eris in a PM) because it is easier to transfer photos and saves using the File Transfer. If you two wish to use MSN thats ok too, and if you dont want to use a IM service thats ok too, you can just email one another with updates and ideas, which ever you two choose.

However, we should all PM each other and make sure we give each other our email addresses so that we can email the save around once we have it going!

In addition to that, I am hopeing we can get this game flying by the beginning of the work/school week. So we should settle on our options (if any) ... it seems pretty much universal (unless Eris hates the idea) that each Alliance will have their own island.
        Siga El Conejo Blanco
        Dios, patria y libertad - Ecuadorian motto
        | NationStates Roleplayer: The Honor Guard | Check out my Civ4 'friendly game' of MP: A Few Good Leaders |

Comment

How do I use an im service?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeppson
            How do I use an im service?
            Alright well, you CAN use the PM service at Apolyton, like I mentioned before. This is simple for quick notes, but you cant transfer pictures or saves through it. Heres how to do it though: Above each post a person makes (like this one here) there is a string of links at the upper righthand corner of the post box. There should be one that says simply: "pm". Click on it and it will bring you to a screen much like an email. Type what you want to send to that person and send.

To check your Private Messages at Apolyton you simply go ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP OF THE SCREEN and click on "My threads" among the list of links at the top. Then there is a row of options above your list of threads, from there click on "Private Messages" and you should have a list of messages from others (like myself)

Now, an IM Service is just like MSN Messanger or AOL Messanger (although I dont like either of those).... I use Yahoo. You have to go to the homepage and download the messanger. Once you have the messanger, you need to create an account with that service (its free dont worry) and then you just ADD NEW BUDDY to your buddy list and add your teammate (you can add me and Metra too if you want) as long as the other people have the same messanger program. Then when that person comes online you can talk to them and send them pics and saves.

WOOOOF. that was alot. I hope I explained it good enough..
            Siga El Conejo Blanco
            | NationStates Roleplayer: The Honor Guard | Check out my Civ4 'friendly game' of MP: A Few Good Leaders |

Comment

Alright, after taking a look at the locations of our players (correct me if I am wrong) Jeppson should be first to play saves as you are in Sweden and are a few hours ahead of us. Metra will get the save from Jeppson. Then Metra will send the save to Eris as you are an hour behind us. And then I (ElConejo) will get the save last from Eris.

The turn order is now updated at the top post.

* Additional question about the map: do you all mind if the X-wrapping is turned off for this? I am not a fan of X-wrapping on small maps, but I will go along with the concenus.

*Also, is there any modding that we are putting in or not?

We are so close to starting this game off I can smell it..
              Last edited by ElConejo; September 24, 2005, 23:13.
              Siga El Conejo Blanco

Comment

I am for no x wrapping. The only modding I suggest is retain culture on capture, because i think i speak fo r all of us wh i say, I HATE THAT SOO MUCH!!! also I suggest that we do the turn system where 1 year=1 turn and we start the first turn at 1000 AD. Any opposing or agreeing points will be duely heard. Your opions and preferences are important to make this a good learning experience for everyone.
                Last edited by Metra; September 25, 2005, 01:18.
                "Forever shall we be remembered, as the wall that would not Crumble." -Metratan Defender Call to arms

Comment

I downloaded and installed yahoo messenger. My account name is jeppson875

Comment

I am for no x wrapping. The only modding I suggest is retain culture on capture, because i think i speak fo r all of us wh i say, I HATE THAT SOO MUCH!!! also I suggest that we do the turn system where 1 year=1 turn and we start the first turn at 1000 AD
                    I Agree

Comment

just lurking

if you dive into it, why not battle reports, gota try that too

I will be back for further lurks
                      anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

I am comfortable with settings and map. I am used to X wrapping. In fact, I am not sure why that would bother folk. Just for curiosity, what is the issue there? And I guess I am in a minority because I LIKE present culture effects and their challenges. I would prefer no mods to standard rules at all. This is my introduction to PBEM, hopefully not my intro to various rule changes in general. However, if they are known as helpful to the PBEM experience then I am open to them. For instance, the date system changes would be new to me, but make sense for PBEM. I assume the changes come with the save game file and I will not have to do any local mods.

I will do Yahoo messenger also. I sent PM to jeppson with my email address. Given our time zone difference, we might be better off doing any conspiring via email.

Otherwise I think I am ready.
                        If you aren't confused,
                        You don't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
                          just lurking

if you dive into it, why not battle reports, gota try that too

I will be back for further lurks
                          Yea we are using Level 3 of the Warrior Code for all battle reports. I assume the battle reports will be put on the Tracker thread along with the turn notice. Thanks for taking interest!
                          Siga El Conejo Blanco

Comment

Originally posted by eris
                            I am comfortable with settings and map. I am used to X wrapping. In fact, I am not sure why that would bother folk. Just for curiosity, what is the issue there? And I guess I am in a minority because I LIKE present culture effects and their challenges. I would prefer no mods to standard rules at all. This is my introduction to PBEM, hopefully not my intro to various rule changes in general. However, if they are known as helpful to the PBEM experience then I am open to them. For instance, the date system changes would be new to me, but make sense for PBEM. I assume the changes come with the save game file and I will not have to do any local mods.

I will do Yahoo messenger also. I sent PM to jeppson with my email address. Given our time zone difference, we might be better off doing any conspiring via email.

Otherwise I think I am ready.
                            Excellent. As far as formating goes, starting in 1000AD and 1 year=1 turn (as Metra said) is nice for keeping the turns in order chronologically so we dont have to search. The only two changes that we will make to the game (if we're all cool with it) is No X Wrapping, and Retain Culture after Capture.

The reason I am not for X Wrapping is because this is such a small map (I like it on larger maps) and it give the feel that we are fighting for the region itself not a really tiny planet. If everyone doesnt like this thats ok with me.

The reason why I am for Retain Culture after capture is mainly a personal one, If i lose a city, and then recapture it I want my culture back, and if the culture is retained its a bigger loss/gain for the players. Once again, if everyone hates this its ok with me to go with standard.

Once we have these points ironed out we can start it up!
                            Siga El Conejo Blanco

Comment

Originally posted by ElConejo

Excellent. As far as formating goes, starting in 1000AD and 1 year=1 turn (as Metra said) is nice for keeping the turns in order chronologically so we dont have to search. The only two changes that we will make to the game (if we're all cool with it) is No X Wrapping, and Retain Culture after Capture.

The reason I am not for X Wrapping is because this is such a small map (I like it on larger maps) and it give the feel that we are fighting for the region itself not a really tiny planet. If everyone doesnt like this thats ok with me.

The reason why I am for Retain Culture after capture is mainly a personal one, If i lose a city, and then recapture it I want my culture back, and if the culture is retained its a bigger loss/gain for the players. Once again, if everyone hates this its ok with me to go with standard.

Once we have these points ironed out we can start it up!
                              Go for it.
                              If you aren't confused,
                              You don't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by eris

Go for it.
                                Sweet. I will have the first save sent off to Jeppson by the end of today.

I will also post a TRACKER thread.
                                The Tracker is where you go to post "sent to _____ " So we all know where the save is. With your (Ex. "Sent to Metra") statement, you should include any Combat Reports that you have (only if you attacked another human though, so this wont be a deal until very much later)
                                I will post the Tracker link here once its up.
                                Siga El Conejo Blanco

Comment

Working...
                                X