• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
    ok interesting point

suppose Im in a game and am getting whooped on

I just decide to stop playing and not respond

aint that wrong, to hold a person from "winning" by simply being awol?

It suxor da big one, but shouldnt the game be finished for the other player since you effectively have eliminated the will of your opponent to continue?

Yes it would suck and those still playing in the game have every right to replace you and continue on.

Comment

I've only had 1 out of countless PBEMs complete. A 3-player cooperative one we had many marathon sessions for.

Comment

A quick tally shows the following stats for my PBEM's:

9 completed
        5 dead
        21 continuing

Total commenced: 35

That makes just over 25% completed.

As for the ones that died, 4 of them were due to one player just vanishing from the face of Apolyton, while the other one was a general consensus due to the fact that we had 2 AI and some dullard decided to set it up at Sid level....which was almost tolerable until they both declared war
        So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
        Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

I think it would have been better to ask how many PBEM's each player completed rather than the %.

Take Paddy - it doesn't matter how many he finishes, he will always struggle to reach 25%

Comment

Originally posted by Aqualung71
            the other one was a general consensus due to the fact that we had 2 AI and some dullard decided to set it up at Sid level....which was almost tolerable until they both declared war
            I would say we lost, the AI won. This game counts as completed in my record.
            Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

I disagree, but only because PBEM's are a form of MP between humans and so by definition, an AI cannot win. They are there occasionally to add spice and allow us humans to exploit them

In this case, they were there because we all wanted to be humiliated

Comment

I disagree, but only because PBEM's are a form of MP between humans and so by definition, an AI cannot win. They are there occasionally to add spice and allow us humans to exploit them
                Yeah, epxploit them to get us killed without the need for us to declare war on each other.

The setup was flawed, with too few AIs to fight each other, instead of us, humans.

Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
                  ok interesting point

suppose Im in a game and am getting whooped on

I just decide to stop playing and not respond

aint that wrong, to hold a person from "winning" by simply being awol?

It suxor da big one, but shouldnt the game be finished for the other player since you effectively have eliminated the will of your opponent to continue?

You are absolutely right. However, it's very difficult to replace a player when the civ they are taking over is already at a disadvantage.
                  Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

what can I say, a great game, and the human interaction through pbem gives it a whole new life...

yet then we have the human component... and thus the mysteries of "real life" which my cousin Hoskins tells me is a real threat to the pbem community

*Hoskins the Scot stands and waves

At this time we hereby announce that Clan Scot has: "Less than 25% of my PBEMs have succesfully completed," and in that we are not all that impressed.

so in this we of the Clan Scot have set up a new research facility on the EternalCrag. Here we will be looking in to this matter that could actually becoming a plague... in this research we hope to uncover some of the truths of this mysterious "real life" issue. and in that we just may find a successful answer on how to raise the bar and thus lift the average...

We are currently researching several matters.
                    1. New players should they only be invited into 3 - 4 player games, so they can learn and grow into the many and varied reponsibilities that really do exist within taking on a civilization in a play by email game.
                    2. A game of 8 - 12 players should only be undertaken with those with a known reputation for playing the game
                    3. Retiring a player - when and why?
                    4. How to get Rasputin a new hat.

/me and Hoskins the Scot retire to the bar along the back wall of the auditorium
                    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                    I am of the Horde.

Comment

Paddy's been drinking too much again.

Comment

I disagree to your disagree

My definition of completion:

a game completed either by wining it or losing it to AI or Human

As GT said it aint right to keep someone from completeing their win.

Its too easy to walk away when the civ you are playing is losing in a bad way.
                        anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Wins today.
                          Long Live The Horde
                          Marshal of the Concordian Armed Forces
                          Membership Officer of the Axe Grinders Guild

Comment

Working...
                          X